HWBOT Community Forums

DDR1/2/3/4 Subzero: Max. MHz basics

• 6 months later...

Necro bump, it seems you can get around the volt-boot issues with DDR2 by doing a vmod on a motherboard to raise default voltage from 1.8V to 2.4V.

I tested in on one crappy motherboard and it seemed to work, so I'll try and move forward to testing on my UD3P.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

@Noxinite it is called (cold)volt boot issue because sticks don´t boot at 1,8v but need normally around 2,2v at least - you can use a volt mod but for a lot of people it is simply enough to boot with other sticks, set volts to 2,2 or above and change sticks

PCB is always a factor, but not the biggest one for raw mhz because it is more of a stability factor

10 hours ago, websmile said:

@Noxinite it is called (cold)volt boot issue because sticks don´t boot at 1,8v but need normally around 2,2v at least - you can use a volt mod but for a lot of people it is simply enough to boot with other sticks, set volts to 2,2 or above and change sticks

PCB is always a factor, but not the biggest one for raw mhz because it is more of a stability factor

Maybe I'm impatient, but I found swapping sticks out while benching really annoying. Also, you can't really do that if you have an Ln2 pot or SS on the ram sticks. ;)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I put some time on ddr2 recently, and the best way to bin ddr2 seem to be 32m spi, I set my voltage to 2,4v to not damage it, d9 is very sensitive to temps, just put better heat spreaders on it change everything, recently I manage 720 32m spi with single stick (5-5-5-15 at 2,42 bios) on air, some stick seem to cbb at -115 and cb at about -150, different result than noxinite ? maybe different pcb change cold bug

i dont no if my board do magic on spi 32m or its just the stick, i also have 1 stick with different ic doing 750+ but with loser timing 5-6-5-16

Edited by gtxx58
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, gtxx58 said:

I put some time on ddr2 recently, and the best way to bin ddr2 seem to be 32m spi, I set my voltage to 2,4v to not damage it, d9 is very sensitive to temps, just put better heat spreaders on it change everything, recently I manage 720 32m spi with single stick (5-5-5-15 at 2,42 bios) on air, some stick seem to cbb at -115 and cb at about -150, different result than noxinite ? maybe different pcb change cold bug

i dont no if my board do magic on spi 32m or its just the stick, i also have 1 stick with different ic doing 750+ but with loser timing 5-6-5-16

To be fair his result with cold bug was due to information from myself. I had about 3 sticks cold bug on my phase which does -55c ish. I've since taken a couple of sticks cold and both of mine got full pot so I must have just been unlucky with the first 3.

For max MHz binning though I think you can just get away with doing just that on air. Set a voltage paramater and timings etc and just see where the sticks crash. Is a hell of a lot quicker than binning for 32M. Bigger problem for me though is I now need to start binning motherboards as my only two P45 boards hit hard limits on the memory controller that no voltage or timings could overcome. Again I don't know if I just got unlucky here or not but I'm not even close to hitting the limit on my 850MHz stick since it could do those speeds at 2.3v or there abouts.

• Haha 1