HWBOT Community Forums

Overclocking Autarky in Rev6

Massman

Hey all,

Here's the third and probably the most controversial idea/plan for Revision 6. In the PDF linked below you can find the explanation on why and how we want to achieve an autarkic overclocking platform. For those who don't know, "autarky" is a term used for when a system is self-sustainable.

NOTE! This is not a plan that has already been set in stone. It's an idea, but we might not implement it.

NOTE2! In the document we describe the situation when everyone who wants to participate has to chip in, but if the community feels more comfortable giving this as an option, we can consider that. So in other words: those who chip in, can participate to win. Those who rather not chip in, can just compete for honor/respect.

Looking forward to the feedback, but keep it civil please :celebration:

Link: http://url.hwbot.org/1esAqsy

Edited by Massman

We already saw a lot of money involved in several competitions especially vendor related. Furthermore the cash prize just affects the Challenger-Divisions + Pro-OC and not the normal rankings like XOC-League and Enthusiast-League

I don't think it will "destroy" anything. It's more a chance to get some money in return for time and effort

Obviously, the big vendors have been indirectly doing a similar thing for years now (marketing costs covered by sales of specific products) but I, personally, don't like the idea of hwbot becoming yet another company that's going to tax/leech on (whatever you call it) the PC enthusiast community.

No of course not :)

A single user can only participate in one ranking. So either Enthusiast, XOC or Pro. If you are part of Enthusiast or XOC you can participate in the Challenger division. The entry fee you pay for the challenger divisions or pro-oc-cup split up like you can see on page 4. 40% of the money will go to the contest you're participating in. 50% will be split up to the other divisions/pro-oc-cup and 10% will go to HWBot.

not a fan of fee based system, this will create a disincentive in the long run. it's not the answer. Fee based tournaments should probably exist in their own right and you should keep HWBOT away from it and concentrate on creating tournaments with rev6 ideas.

not a fan of fee based system, this will create a disincentive in the long run. it's not the answer. Fee based tournaments should probably exist in their own right and you should keep HWBOT away from it and concentrate on creating tournaments with rev6 ideas.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

Money or cash prizes will bring out the worst in people. It works for live events where its a level playing field, but for an online type contest, I don't see it happening without drama, and lots of it.

What are your opinions on the idea to make competitive overclocking less dependent of The Industry? The first goal of this idea is to establish a system for competitive overclocking which is self-sustainable.

Obviously, the big vendors have been indirectly doing a similar thing for years now (marketing costs covered by sales of specific products) but I, personally, don't like the idea of hwbot becoming yet another company that's going to tax/leech on (whatever you call it) the PC enthusiast community.

90% of the money that overclockers would choose to put up goes straight back to the overclockers. I wouldn't exactly qualify that as leeching.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

Money or cash prizes will bring out the worst in people. It works for live events where its a level playing field, but for an online type contest, I don't see it happening without drama, and lots of it.

I think you're right. That's why the "pay-out" happens at the end of a season (3 rounds of 5 benchmarks spread over a year) and is fairly limited in size. It should discourage people from trying to cheat, I assume?

Sorry, i didn`t read PDF file, but would like to share some points from my side:

1. Like in eSports and Dota2. Two audience: players and viewers. Viewews can buy eticket for broadcast of game, price is 4.99 USD. (You can see broadcast without payments too, but if you paid, you got some benefits) Organizators of tournaments use payments from viewers for prize pull. Then players fight for this prize pull in this games. Players not pay.

We can not use the same scenario for overclocking, because we dont have viewers.

2. When i started overclocking 8 years ago, i never throught about fee. I did it for hobby, and i continue to do it. Yes, we did a lot for vendors, because we should have resources for overclocking, and we have it now. I am not sure, that i ready to pay for overclocking in future. Problem not in the amount, i think main problem here in mind: i used HWBot a lot of years for free, but now i should pay for it. All my friends, with whom i would like share my scores, can check it on my facebook page or i can post it on forums.

My point of view on the fees. Typically I don't get lucky enough to come across the best binned chips and there are many people like me. I know that I cannot get 1st place scores in many benches because of this. In this new league environment, I would probably participate just to see how I stack up against the others. If I have to pay fees, why would I want to pay if I know that I'm not going to have a very good shot at winning? It'd be pretty much like paying a fee or donation to the project in which I know I won't win.

I also agree with some of the other things mentioned.

i'm 100% agree with you Mike.

A good thing can be run benchmark at fixed frequency. Don't complete cancel the advantage wich someone have, because we now for exemple one cpu can have a better imc or some people can have better ram, but with this solution you will show your skill.

At the end i would partecipate at the leage becouse 10€ don't change my life and i love to much the competition.

I don't think it will work that well to be honest, I think you posted on FB at some point and I slammed it then, although maybe a little too harshly.

One of the first issues I see is lower participation numbers. As noted by the attitude of a few in this discussion already, people aren't going to pay to enter a competition they believe they have no chance of winning. A way around that might be the free entry for people who don't want to a shot at the winnings but that's a little alienating I feel.

Money brings out the worst in people, whether it be actually cheating or even just accusing other people of cheating, it could get messy very quickly. Money is already a prize factor, but more often then not you're competing for that money in a live environment where it is much harder to actively cheat. It's also a lot more fun and a great experience.

I also personally don't have much of an issue with industry involvement with overclocking, and while self sustainability does sound good I really hope that doesn't have to come at the expense of the community.

My 2c, I still bring an open mind to the table and am open to hearing more.