HWBOT Community Forums

Overclocking Autarky in Rev6

Massman

One of the first issues I see is lower participation numbers. As noted by the attitude of a few in this discussion already, people aren't going to pay to enter a competition they believe they have no chance of winning. A way around that might be the free entry for people who don't want to a shot at the winnings but that's a little alienating I feel.

Would it be an option to fill the prize jar with lucky draws? Ie, entry fee gives you a ticket for winning something like a motherboard or memory kit.

Would it be an option to fill the prize jar with lucky draws? Ie, entry fee gives you a ticket for winning something like a motherboard or memory kit.

Yeah, I think that's a better approach as far as enticing people to participate goes. I'm still not sure how much revenue can be raised this way though, I don't see participation levels being overly high for something people have to buy into either way, but I'm intrigued to see how it will go especially since the other leagues will remain untouched this time.

I'm assuming amongst all this that vendors are still welcome to host their own competitions here and will continue to have a part in hwbot and the overclocking community?

Maybe the "humble bundle" approach would be interesting. When you want to contribute you can freely choose any amount, and choose how you want to split it between prize pool / hwbot org. If you donate above a certain amount, you can win the prize pool (maybe even lucky draw, not just the winner, so people who know they can't win still contribute to the prize pool).

No way we can cover the hosting cost of hwbot with this system but it might be fun. :)

I am on the fence about how well this work. On one hand I see the incentive to overclockers and to HWBOT but there are definitely some problems. I think they are stated pretty well above, from the increased incentive to cheat to rules lawyering to the actual scaring away of participants.

Perhaps the Challenger Series isn't the place to introduce this idea. Maybe start with a couple of cash competitions and see how it rolls out. I think you might want to keep the entry and payout low to decrease that incentive for cheating and you might want to pick hardware that is more mainstream rather than high end. Hopefully with a smaller prize and non-4770k/290x/780Ti competition the binning should be minimal.

• 2 weeks later...

i think we have to go away from hwbot is free and will be forever.

how much did we spend on hardware+cooling stuff.

for me if hwbot would not exist i would bench for what? to post my scores in a forum? sure but not very often.

maybe we could get something like the longer you are registered here the higher the fee or the more different hardware you got the more ya pay? not easy to be fair.

if ya dont want to pay money maybe give out some of the hardware for competitions.

just loud thinking

Edited by basco

My two cents: paying for some additional features is fine, but the active users should never feel they have to pay to get the most out of the site.

Just a random thought: what about the possibility of purchasing the right to fight for certain achievements? Could be interesting for some grinders I think :)