HWBOT Community Forums

Sub-zero water chiller

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get a Hailea-clone water-chiller for a relatively low price (that compared to a unit from the store).

I'm wondering if anyone of you tried the following:

I want to disconnect stock temperature probe and connect an external one which always measures ambient/room temp, so I can fool the chiller that it never reaches the target temp (lowest that can be set is 4C I think).

By doing this the chiller should never sswitch off its compressor and work on full power non-stop, but I'm not sure what temperatures I could expect, so I'm asking if someone tried this with a similar water chiller.

Thanks!

Hey Infra :) Temps is completely dependent on compressor size and gas. What you want is the biggest possible pretty much, I think best Hailea shipped with no more than ½ HP compressors and r134a. So in best case I'd say down to -20 maybe -25 but it will take a while to cool down a lot of water to that.

Still, I'd buy it ;)

Yea sure this idea has been used by chiller guys for a long time, converting window ac units to very powerful water chillers. However they usually have much more powerful rotary comps. There are a lot of builds in XS old chiller section, I'm surprised you've missed it? :)

Reading here http://www.overclock.net/t/1412175/d-d-dc750-chiller seems that the model you are loking at are massively overspeced and actually only 1/4 HP. Depending on what you have to pay for it, might not be worth it. I think it won't reach -20 at all with such small comp. Not with any kind of decent load at least.

Hmm, so it's actually not between the Hailea 500 and 1500, but rather between 300 and 500 Hailea.

I know the AC units conversion ofcourse, but it's too big and I liked the idea to mod this one.

I wanted to use it mainly with VGAs and SS on the cpu, cause I have only one phase-change unit.

That's rather disappointing.

if you look for heavy bench unit ..the compressor / condenser and refrigerant( R134a have a low performance ..for what you need) is the problem, the water pump also( need MAGNETIC PUMP) , becouse the pc designed for water is not perform very well at lower temps.

recently i build myseelf a strong chiller and GPU SS with rotary´s compressors( both with R507A)! , for exemple my Chiller loop is with the evaporator builded in reservoir ..that offer a better boost compared with HX plate ..that all chiller/ss builders use today.

HX plate is restrictive over -30* water temp, liquid into HX cover small amount of water ..and that make it unstable at load temp..etc..

i waiting suction line from BartX and i can braze hole unit an ready to go:D http://forum.lab501.ro/showthread.php?p=362036#post362036

Edited by nachtfalke