HWBOT Community Forums

How much you want to pay for HWBOT?

Massman

How much would you pay for HWBOT's services (yearly)?  

324 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for HWBOT's services (yearly)?

• €0
    • upto €5
    • upto €10
    • upto €25
    • upto €50
    • upto €100
    • upto €200
    • upto €500
    • upto €1000
    • upto €5000

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing you all seem to not be realizing as soon as you start charging the end user and attaching a fee is when the whole thing starts getting complicated and as people have pointed out as soon as people start paying for a service they think they have more of right to complain because their submission isn't getting processed fast enough or some crap and im sure ill hear people complain and think suddenly hwbot is a democracy and the their say should mean more because they pay for it - The worst thing will be is some dick will say massman i pay your wages listen to me !!!!!

Guys let Massman make the decisions on what funds hwbot and how the staff like to run it. If you do not like the the ideas in rev.4 unlucky it will apply to everyone so it is not like they are persecuting just you, be happy that hwbot brings manufacturers to the table with prizes for you too win :)

I personally voted no i will not pay a subscription this should always be covered by manufacturers we are doing an arseload of advertising on here for them they should be the ones paying for this honour. Everyone wanted manufacturers backing and now everyone is complaining and saying lets make it user funded.

Its not that i dont think massman deserves my money i would happily pay him for his hard work, its who knows for how long Massman will be running hwbot and in we start paying a subsciption like all things it will go up as inflation raises, i trust massman to not do that but who knows im sure if the hwbot staff got an offer for a couple of million dollars they would have hard time justifying reasons to not sell.

With every change everyone complains.

________

MERCURY BROUGHAM PICTURE

Edited by uncle fester

The thing you all seem to not be realizing as soon as you start charging the end user and attaching a fee is when the whole thing starts getting complicated and as people have pointed out as soon as people start paying for a service they think they have more of right to complain because their submission isn't getting processed fast enough or some crap and im sure ill hear people complain and think suddenly hwbot is a democracy and the their say should mean more because they pay for it - The worst thing will be is some dick will say massman i pay your wages listen to me !!!!!

Guys let Massman make the decisions on what funds hwbot and how the staff like to run it. If you do not like the the ideas in rev.4 unlucky it will apply to everyone so it is not like they are persecuting just you, be happy that hwbot brings manufacturers to the table with prizes for you too win :)

I personally voted no i will not pay a subscription this should always be covered by manufacturers we are doing an arseload of advertising on here for them they should be the ones paying for this honour. Everyone wanted manufacturers backing and now everyone is complaining and saying lets make it user funded.

Its not that i dont think massman deserves my money i would happily pay him for his hard work, its who knows for how long Massman will be running hwbot and in we start paying a subsciption like all things it will go up as inflation raises, i trust massman to not do that but who knows im sure if the hwbot staff got an offer for a couple of million dollars they would have hard time justifying reasons to not sell.

With every change everyone complains.

+1 :)

I calculate the results so far. (i left the 5000 out of equation for obvious reasons)

18x5 = 90e

38x10 = 380e

32x25 = 800e

17x50 = 850e

6x100 = 600e

result = 2450e

What was last years donation? 500e!? What is so far the donation rate?

I get the impression that some people loved to be forced in order to do something

than out of free will and that scared me :)

• Crew
Then this poll was a complete and utter waste of time...surprise, surprise.

This thread probably has been created to enlighten the ones that suggested donating :

1) It costs a lot of money to keep this site running

2) With private fundings form the members you will NEVER be able to pay for all of that... as almost half of the voters does NOT want to pay a single dollar/euro...

So how on earth do you pay a part of the costs ? Manufacturer sponsorship with banners, competitions etc...

I'm not really interested enough to pay anything for someone to be able to make money out of my results if they present them in the right way. I mean, it's basically an endless source of overclocking stats, a database of results to which I submit my scores for free for the fun of it, in the end you may use it for statistics and attract sponsors. If someone's going to charge me for it, I sure won't be here anymore. The only reason I submit scores right now is for the fun of it, I don't take it seriously.

I might sound a bit egoistic, but I don't exactly feel this is something I can't do without, but that's my point of view.

It's sad that there's still no other alternative. I think you're making wrong assumptions when you say it's either:

- no money, no problems

- mfc money, bend over

There's no:

- mfc money, work together

I also hope you can print money, Baz, because it must come from somewhere and wherever it's coming from, you are bending over for it.

Voted "0" euro, not because i can't afford to give 10-20 euros but because isn't fair for a lot of guys, in some countries 10 or 20 euros is a month wages. Also there are many young guys in here and maybe they can't afford to pay and i think we shouldn't push them out of the community.

Hwbot must be free for every person on the world.

stealth

Voted 5 e/y but the main problem is PayPal. I can afford something like 25-50 euro/year, but using more common to exUSSR payment system like Webmoney or something like that.

For those saying "As you can afford so much hardware, so u can then afford a "10EUR" ticket to hwbot" - I haven't actually paid for any hardware benched - everything in my profile was benched free of charge (work, friends, my home pc, etc).

Voted "0" euro, not because i can't afford to give 10-20 euros but because isn't fair for a lot of guys, in some countries 10 or 20 euros is a month wages. Also there are many young guys in here and maybe they can't afford to pay and i think we shouldn't push them out of the community.

Hwbot must be free for every person on the world.

stealth

in country's where there is genuine hardship hwbot could exempt them from subscription

Looks wild. I'm risking my hardware, which bought on my money and must additionally pay for this? Unbelievable!

Overclocking is very popular among young people. In my country pupils and students practically have no "spare" money. I think no more than 30-40 overclockers (20%) in Ukraine are ready to pay ANY money for HWBot. Ex-USSR overclockers will return to over-s.ru database where there no strict moderation but charge free.

And finally sponsor ads and PR-contests will have no marketing efficiency ;)

As a hobby I voted up to fifty, nothing wrong with membership fees/dues but in realism how many of the members would of signed up if there was a fee imposed.

If it was related to my income that's another thing.

I did try to donate last month but backed away when I had to use PayPal, nothing against the service just another thing to keep track of and a true lack of knowledge on the service

• 2 weeks later...
Is HWBOT a business?

If it is a business (I assumed this is what it morphed into), then where are the current revenues generated? if they are generated by advertising from businesses who's target audience are the people in the community - why would u ask the community to contribute?

I think to summarise I would need to understand the business model, the current overheads (how much does it cost to run, where does the money go, can any savings be made....etc...) and future plans of the HWBOT or if indeed there are 'share options' available as an investment rather than a donation (which is another word for blindly giving out money and trust it gets invested into the business), before I could consider answering the poll question.

This poll was to display that it's not possible for HWBOT to cover the basic running costs with community input only and therefore have to rely on manufacturers and other sources to generate the income needed to cover costs. If if we wanted to force the community to pay, which we don't, it wouldn't be enough.

RichBa5tard's posts should make things more clear:

I can lower running cost by +- 2000 euro a year once our contract with the current hosting company ends, but this does not have a major impact on the total running cost.

Fact is that if you want to run such a site seriously, you can not do it in spare time. We all have to pay for food and have a roof above our head, also the people working full time on HWBOT. To pay a legal minimum wage in Belgium, you need approx 30.000 euro revenue a year.

I've been working for +5 year on HWBOT for free, and have invested 50.000 euro to get it up to a professional level. I don't mind that. Our business plan is to have manufacturers pay for the advertising and competitions they hold on HWBOT, and the business plan has proven to be sufficient to cover running costs. My goal is not to become rich with HWBOT (in the contrary, if I would spend my freelance time on other projects I would have earned money instead of loosing it), nor is it the goal of Massman (he would earn more washing dishes) or the rest of the crew (doing it completely free). What does hurt us a lot, is that everytime we make a revision change suggestion we get labeled as money hungry corporate sell outs. : / For f*ck sake, we work hard and are widely used, don't we deserve a minimal income? Do you think hosting companies, designers, accountants, coders, etc all work for free?

That said, I strongly believe HWBOT should remain free for members. Our business plan is to have manufacturers pay for advertising and use of HWBOT, not the members. It has worked pretty well, and see no reason to change as long as manufacturers do not ask us to "bend over".

I voted 50.000 euro, as that's what I've spent so far.

Erh, you misread/misunderstand. :) We have a business plan (manufacturer and regional partnerships), and it's working sufficiently to cover running costs. HWBOT runs ± break-even since rev3. Only problem we have is that we have insufficient income to cover development and design, which is a cost that I cover personally.