HWBOT Community Forums

Asrock Z97 OC Formula-PSC

Guest Bullant

Only air cooling so far, I have never experimented with cold on Samsung. I don't think I want to get the spreaders off, I'll just kill the sticks in the process :D Maybe some thermal paste on spreaders and put mem pot with dice on it?

It's 1480MHz-1485MHz range where sticks transition to tRCD/tRP 13 and 5-6-5 in tertiaries. Either down to 12 or 5-5-4 would be a nice boost, but this fails quite reliably at loop 6. :P

More voltage than what I have set doesn't affect this. It only helps for pushing frequency up to 1530MHz, not worth it because even more tertiaries need to be loosened.

• Like 1

Nice to see this thread active again. Finally felt I had enough practice at c7 and attempted c6 for the first time. On 64bit Win 7 so no Pi ... so sowry!

Mems at 2.17v -160C and colder

rtl experiment 35-37-3-4

B70nem7.png

rtl's in order

pMF30iA.png

Sum Geek3

HRbcsBK.png

Stability test

ovtwxp4.png

Guest Bullant

Looks good Jason,time for some 32m with your new timings

Post some pics of your session if you like always good to see cold pics

• 4 weeks later...
Guest k.pisti

Guys!

I know this might just be too few infos, but is there any very good bios for 4770K and PSC (and Samsung) for this board other than L1.12D? I am having serious issues with my cpu in my board on that BIOS. My G3258 works fine, my best PSC sticks doing 2720 tight, but with the 4770K I simply can't run 2666 at all in dual and 2600 needs a ton more volts than with the Pentium (figure 0.05V). The i7 comes from a somewhat trustable source stating it does both 2840ish Samsung and 2720 PSC with air mems/ambient water cpu.

Not 100% sure if it is a BIOS related issue, but other than that I think I tried everything I can.

Thanks in advance to every masters still pushing this gorgeous mobo. :)

Any inputs are welcome.

Guys!

I know this might just be too few infos, but is there any very good bios for 4770K and PSC (and Samsung) for this board other than L1.12D? I am having serious issues with my cpu in my board on that BIOS. My G3258 works fine, my best PSC sticks doing 2720 tight, but with the 4770K I simply can't run 2666 at all in dual and 2600 needs a ton more volts than with the Pentium (figure 0.05V). The i7 comes from a somewhat trustable source stating it does both 2840ish Samsung and 2720 PSC with air mems/ambient water cpu.

Not 100% sure if it is a BIOS related issue, but other than that I think I tried everything I can.

Thanks in advance to every masters still pushing this gorgeous mobo. :)

Any inputs are welcome.

I have the same problem with my 4770k, though not as bad. Cold helps, but only when clocking mems alone. I figured it was my cpu, but have been able to do better on other boards. I think it partially has to do with io analog and digital volts needing to be very different from my 4690K, 4790K and es pentiums. The i5 and 7 devils canyon chips clock mems the highest, but the 3258's allow me to use less dram voltage. I have never really even ran the 4770K on air/water so haven't took the time to mess with them, but now I think I should. Especially since I have awesome mems and awesome cpu but just not together. Only bios I tried is 1.30 & 1.80 will try 1.12 as I have it somewhere

It's not really a BIOS problem, you might simple not be pushing enough SA (most old/original Haswell chips need 1.25+) or having the ODT issue (solvable by rebooting without entering the BIOS).

That's what I thought at first as well and, I use your post showing +0.450v SA volts as reference to other guys having similar problems. I have experienced the ODT issue before on Giga,MSI and Asrock and this is really just more of an inconvenience

Guest Bullant

It can be a number of things,I've had and know of few others that have needed to have little cold on a 4770k to help imc.Mine was a degraded imc that would only do 2600 psc ,adding cold to the CPU allowed it to do 2700+ again

It doesn't hurt to try anything and everything that people suggest as its how we learn via testing and problem solving.I do use the same imc,ioa ,iod volts all the time on all CPUs I've tested but if I was you I guess first two things I would do is set your 4770k with psc 8-12-8 2666 and set rtls and iols manually to 40-41-4-4 save and exit, see if this helps your 4770k with 2666,I always set them manually and I think this help with a weak imc.Second thing would be try some cold on the CPU,only -10 or little more should help

Edited by Bullant

Guest k.pisti
I have the same problem with my 4770k, though not as bad. Cold helps, but only when clocking mems alone. I figured it was my cpu, but have been able to do better on other boards. I think it partially has to do with io analog and digital volts needing to be very different from my 4690K, 4790K and es pentiums. The i5 and 7 devils canyon chips clock mems the highest, but the 3258's allow me to use less dram voltage. I have never really even ran the 4770K on air/water so haven't took the time to mess with them, but now I think I should. Especially since I have awesome mems and awesome cpu but just not together. Only bios I tried is 1.30 & 1.80 will try 1.12 as I have it somewhere

Thanks Jason!

I dug through quite a few subs yesterday and in most cases people used bios versions other than L1.12D. I switched to my other bios chip that I flashed 1.80 onto and it seemed to have partially solved my problem. Now 2600 works both in single and dual, with the same volts as with my Pentium. 2666 single works fine, same volts, but 2666 dual freaks out still.

Let me know how your air and L1.12D tests go, very interested!

Try P1.10.

Will do thanks!

It's not really a BIOS problem, you might simple not be pushing enough SA (most old/original Haswell chips need 1.25+) or having the ODT issue (solvable by rebooting without entering the BIOS).

Thanks for the tips. Different bios version still seemed to have solved my issue partly or it is the bios chip itself, or my ME is corrupted, or I have no idea. Tried the restart thing, didn't help either. SA wise I tried up to +0.460V that resulted in 1.248V dmm.

It can be a number of things,I've had and know of few others that have needed to have little cold on a 4770k to help imc.Mine was a degraded imc that would only do 2600 psc ,adding cold to the CPU allowed it to do 2700+ again

It doesn't hurt to try anything and everything that people suggest as its how we learn via testing and problem solving.I do use the same imc,ioa ,iod volts all the time on all CPUs I've tested but if I was you I guess first two things I would do is set your 4770k with psc 8-12-8 2666 and set rtls and iols manually to 40-41-4-4 save and exit, see if this helps your 4770k with 2666,I always set them manually and I think this help with a weak imc.Second thing would be try some cold on the CPU,only -10 or little more should help

Thanks to you too Bullant!

Always fixing RTLs and IOs manually. Tried loose subs, auto subs, tight timing set... Spent endless hours on it really. Only thing I didn't try is different SSD and different PSU what I can think of (and also those things that don't even come to my mind :D )

I started building it up from the ground, tried loading premade profile, tried jumping into a tight profile set up from 0, none helped spi32m dual 2666. Not sure if it changes things, I am running Win7 as I cba yet to install XP on my one and only bench SSD used daily with my 775 rigs.

Edited by k.pisti
typos

Just realised I never posted the results I got when I diced my PSC the 2nd time - 6 weeks ago xD.

Here is my result at 5.5GHz:

image_id_1588937.png

http://hwbot.org/submission/3133246

And at 4GHz:

image_id_1619376.png

http://hwbot.org/submission/3182792

One side of the dominator pot seemed to need more topping up than the other so my mount may have been off (used lots of elastic bands). The temps also seemed to differ by 10C-5C depending on which side or end I measured at - so something wasn't right. Thermal paste used was Arctic MX-4, but I didn't put any between the pot and heatspreaders, so...

image_id_1619375.jpeg

image_id_1619383.jpeg

This was at 2.25v I think and I could tighten most tertiaries down to 4 (not WRRD_dr) and reach loop 12. However, I spent ages trying to get 5GHz to pass, so I was running out of time and dry ice by then - this was a bit weird as the same IMC and RAM volts were used for 5.5GHz and 4GHz which both could finish with wazza, but 5GHz would never pass even without wazza.

image_id_1619374.jpeg

Guest Bullant

Nice man,it's what I started out with,that pot using elastic bands....the memory use to come on after about 1 hour benching when it reached -100c ahah

Just realised I never posted the results I got when I diced my PSC the 2nd time - 6 weeks ago xD.

This was at 2.25v I think and I could tighten most tertiaries down to 4 (not WRRD_dr) and reach loop 12. However, I spent ages trying to get 5GHz to pass, so I was running out of time and dry ice by then - this was a bit weird as the same IMC and RAM volts were used for 5.5GHz and 4GHz which both could finish with wazza, but 5GHz would never pass even without wazza.

Nice work ! Usually tRDRD_dr has to be 5 as well, like

4-5-4-(13,14or15)-4-4-4-4-4-((10-10-8)(9-9-7)or(8-8-6))-12-2-2-0-11000

Guest Bullant

Use guys cant have all the fun ahahah,just doing a quick prep on Asock OCF with EK memory pot,see if I can get break into 15s on 4ghz

DSCN4276.jpg

Nice work ! Usually tRDRD_dr has to be 5 as well, like

4-5-4-(13,14or15)-4-4-4-4-4-((10-10-8)(9-9-7)or(8-8-6))-12-2-2-0-11000

Oh, yeah that was at 5 too. I've never managed to drop it below that.

And bullant - I don't think we'll be catching up with you very soon.

Guest Bullant
Oh, yeah that was at 5 too. I've never managed to drop it below that.

And bullant - I don't think we'll be catching up with you very soon.

ahaah,yeah its just something I would like to achieve

Use guys cant have all the fun ahahah,just doing a quick prep on Asock OCF with EK memory pot,see if I can get break into 15s on 4ghz

I like it ! Speaking of fun, I'm trying for 15's on air with this .....

M8JYZKa.png

And if that doesn't work then maybe I'll give this a try

lFqu0Ai.jpg?1

Now I'm excited to see what you do, 4770K or 4790K with what mems? I'd love to see some timings too. That advice you gave me, is it just for 4770 or is 4790 compatible? I know so many ?'s so little results

• Like 1

I'm going to be selling mems as soon as binning is complete, and since I'm the only one who truly knows what I have it will make it fair. Getting pm's from people trying to reserve my goldens/picking out certain kits they know I have. Since I've only found a handful of each psc/sammy out of the dozens tested I want to give everyone a fair chance instead of just saving them for my friends or guys on my team, that live in the Midwestern region of the US and have green eyes////// well you know what I mean

Guest Bullant
I like it ! Speaking of fun, I'm trying for 15's on air with this .....

M8JYZKa.png

And if that doesn't work then maybe I'll give this a try

lFqu0Ai.jpg?1

Now I'm excited to see what you do, 4770K or 4790K with what mems? I'd love to see some timings too. That advice you gave me, is it just for 4770 or is 4790 compatible? I know so many ?'s so little results

Yeah man I run those volt settings on 4770k,4790k,Pentium,on all the chips I've tested from air memory's to ln2 2858 6-9-6-21