HWBOT Community Forums

Der8auer's Guide for Haswell-E 4GHz+ Uncore (For All Motherboards)

Massman

Is there any reason a simple linear regulator with adjustable output would not work for providing this additional voltage? G-powerboard seems like overkill for providing a few tens milliamps.

U know I was looking into this, if you have a dead mobo around they have tons of linear regulators on them, usually there is one powering the CPU PWM and its easy to extract since there aren't many components around it usually and some datasheets have typical circuits you can build with equations for controlling the output. I also have a circuit development device that has multiple low voltage adjustable dc power supplies on it, however the current is too low, on those you could use an amplifier and boost the current output. My only concern is how dirty the power could be going in and how much it matters in this case.

this is one linear regulator i was looking into:

http://www.xdevs.com/pdf/DCDC/uP7704.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Longer than i would expect hehe :) First time since duron 700 or so i went with different MB than Asus and well should have went Asus :P

btw. Shame i never bothered to make proper profile on HWbot since overclocking since 286sx times.

It's never too late http://hwbot.org/benchmark/superpi_-_1m/rankings?hardwareTypeId=processor_2082&cores=1#start=0#interval=20#familyId=232

:D

so all that is required is to have those 2 pins on the cpu bridged, dont need to mod mobo right? So just bridge em and stick it back in and hope for the best? glad I got a ESD safe soldering gun, I have done a lot of soldering on small soundboards so this should be do able. Are there adapters planned so no soldering is required? thanks

Tested lazy mod three times with different size of solder and it never works on my 5820K ES with SOC Force Rev1.0,first boot after soldering always failed(don't remenber the post code) but second/next boots were goods and when I unmount CPU the solder seems to had melt again ;)

interesting maybe its different for the 6-core CPUs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if I connect the 2 pins with 30awg wire, or event a 5mm accent leg (the little sticks that poke out) like this, 2mwbdpc.png would that be too thick that it would not allow the cpu to sit correctly? Is it best just to connect the 2 pins with solder itself, and bridge the pads that way?

BTW anyone make a converter so us poor souls without OC socket dont have to do this? :)

• 3 weeks later...