HWBOT Community Forums

It's a crime!

Schmuckley

Well some guys tried to get points for the dual core ranking. So it's probably the most poplular CPU of PCM05 for 2 years.

Amount of submissions with other "popular CPUs"

4690K: 4

4790K: 16

5960X: 2

5820K: 0

5930K: 2

4930K: 10

4960X: 3

4670K: 22

4770K: 37

Now lets take a look at more popular benchmarks like HWBot Prime (which is not the most popular one of these CPUs!)

G3258: 197

4690K: 31

4790K: 169

5960X: 50

5820K: 20

5930K: 23

4930K: 104

4960X: 37

4670K: 116

4770K: 269

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ok..you sponsored guys just have your little circle-jerk fest.

I buy my own hardware.

..of which about $900 worth was just made useless by this action.

I notice the only 2 older pieces of hardware on front page today are Splave and Wizerty with 4870s running Aquamark.

..which you guys are looking to axe next.

way to go.

The reason people don't play Pcm05 much is that there's a steep learning curve.

You can't just OC and expect competitive results,you have to read the tweaking thread and ask around as well.

There's no reason to run Pcm05 now except on old,old stuff..

No sense in running it on 4790K ..only worth 2 boints...even though that could a WR possible.

I do have a q6600, I suppose I'll try on that before I sell all the gear and clean my HDD of Pcmark images.

Like I said,I'm going to sell it all and buy me a nice system.

buy..that is.

PS:There's no new,good benchmarks to replace it.For that matter there are no new good benchmarks.(maybe the 3d futuremark ones)

Catzilla is awful,XTU..eh..s'ok..HWbotprime..eh..s'ok

but the PCmarks have been really terrible since '05

You know how many views MOA had last time I checked? 61

and the numbers go down..around here.bet..

Edited by Schmuckley

Stop whining, most people stopped benching pcm05 beacause "tweaks" got you x2 the score. And yes some guys are sponsored, deal with it, it's like that in every sport.

You said you had a sempron 145, if you want globals run cinebench and wprime, there is plenty of points in those with single core AMD. And x3 and x5 is only AMD.

If you want to tweak run superpi 32m.

• Crew

I see no need in PCMark05 globals anymore. How do you feel if you ran your CPU at 6Ghz on LN2 and get beaten by a person running at 4Ghz on air?

Sure you bought your super RAID controller and a shit loads of SSDs. Than you tweak the crap out of the registry, explorer and co to get it pumping out scores which are not even remotely OC related.

In all honesty PCMark05 has turned out to be more of a software benchmark rather than a benchmark that reflects the OCing potential of the hardware...

Hence why the bot had to do something to rectify it...

C'mon there's so much more hardware to have fun on, not even costing much. Just scam Ebay and have fun...

The benchmarks you mention need also some sort of tweaking software and driver wise... however they will not pump out so highly "bugged" scores as your PCMark05. And if you OC your gear it will become directly apparent...

It doesn't need to be high end to have fun... if you are in just for Globals start to cash out as you need to remain competitive with modern hardware. If it all is getting too serious and you lie awake because the admin removed the globals, buy a fishing rod and relax at a lake with a few brewskis...

I have nothing to do with pcmark05 but i think i have the right to tell my opinion

the main issue is we voted about this and the result was "not removing global point for pcmark05" as the rules of that poll[there were not enough vote for pcmark05 as you remember],but those point are gone now.

do not mixed this issue by talking about pcmark05 itself!

it was a poll,and the final result was not remove global point for pcmark05 ,just wonder why we made a poll for it?

atleast could make another poll [with extra information about pcmark05 problems], instead of violating that poll"s result

it's a long time that lots of guys did not run pcmark05, true, but it will make it legal to violating the poll that lots of hwbot users participate in?

but Maybe i'm wrong and if i am, i have to say sorry i did not know that the polls [that hwbot users voted in it] can not guaranteed the enforcement here

sorry if my english is bad or my opinion is not right [maybe my Memoirs from that poll are wrong]:D

Edited by Farjam

I see no need in PCMark05 globals anymore. How do you feel if you ran your CPU at 6Ghz on LN2 and get beaten by a person running at 4Ghz on air?

Sure you bought your super RAID controller and a bunnyextraction loads of SSDs. Than you tweak the crap out of the registry, explorer and co to get it pumping out scores which are not even remotely OC related.

In all honesty PCMark05 has turned out to be more of a software benchmark rather than a benchmark that reflects the OCing potential of the hardware...

Hence why the bot had to do something to rectify it...

C'mon there's so much more hardware to have fun on, not even costing much. Just scam Ebay and have fun...

The benchmarks you mention need also some sort of tweaking software and driver wise... however they will not pump out so highly "bugged" scores as your PCMark05. And if you OC your gear it will become directly apparent...

It doesn't need to be high end to have fun... if you are in just for Globals start to cash out as you need to remain competitive with modern hardware. If it all is getting too serious and you lie awake because the admin removed the globals, buy a fishing rod and relax at a lake with a few brewskis...

Your opinion of PcMark has been known for years. ;)

You said something to that effect 2 years ago :P

What I would be "scamming" ebay for would be older GPUs

and for older GPUs guess what? you have to run the legacy 3d benchmarks.

...which you guys are planning to axe next.

So I'd be buying a gpu..modding it.

buying cold juice..running the bench

then whoops..no more globals for that bench, either.

so there's really no point (s). :rolleyes:

(I really don't know much 3d)

I was about to start..but after seeing how the rumors come true around here..

Homie ain't playing that.

Enthusiasm=gone.

Edited by Schmuckley

• Crew

I didn't know I was known for my PCMark05 approach :D Secondly I'm not axing anything here, I don't even have an admin account, so I'm just as part of the system as you are mate... I just go with whatever they think is best for the entire community and just adapt... this even if I like it or not ;)

As said before myself I don't care about globals or the point system. I'm here for the fun of OCing, which means OCing anything, besides these Raspberris or whatever they are called. I don't take all this too seriously and even go light on most hardware compared to other benchers... as it too costs me an arm and a leg just to get the hardware and LN2 here.

Now I have to say that I did not fully agree how things went with the poll thing of PCMark05. If the community voted it stays than it should stay (you know what I voted for :P)... Though on the other side of things I can understand the admins way of thinking that the software part was too dominant in this particular benchmark and it became harder and harder to detect true or "bugged" scores. Ofcourse raises the question why do a poll after all :confused: Similar to what Farjam mentioned.

I'm more of a team minded guy, absolutely not caring about my own ranking or whatsoever. Think it over before making any radical decisions, think about you dropping out which could be a big miss for the OCN team.

Edited by Leeghoofd

I can understand why people may feel hard done by seeing PCM05 have it's globals removed and I was too at first. But honestly I can see why it was done.

There just aren't any new people benching this benchmark anymore really and there isn't anyone except perhaps CN that can moderate it anymore. The whole issue with it being more of a software tweaking benchmark now instead of an actual hardware benchmark is also a valid point as someone could find the new "super tweak" that might be completely legitimate, but will have people complaining all day that there is an issue with the result.

• Crew

Very interesting read...

Stopped benching PCM05 some years ago when those super tweaks popped up. Then someone said a wrapper would be made... Waited another year, nothing happened. Gave it a try last year again for some scores but didnt tried more since then. Then this poll appeared, voted for 3dmark05 if I remember correctly, red nothing about results and totally forgot about this.

Now, I read again nothing in the news and just wonder why I lost 200 tpp. Atleast, now I know why...

If I get this correctly, we disable global points for this bench because we cant verify correctness? lol? Didnt we already said the same some years ago? Didnt all say "We have Mods that can distinguish between tweak and cheat?" What happened in the last 2 years that this changed?

Next thing what is questionable, you disable GP but leave hardware points on? 49.9 hw points for a result which no one can legitimate are ok but 15-30 gp for 3 and 5 core results are too much?

There is no question, there had something to be happen. I just wished we had some more option and actions hadnt be made silent.

1. Wrapper's there in its unfinished state, but it's a circle-jerk like the 'antivirus-virus' situation. Not worth the time.

2. You can only do so much. Would you like to have your PM full by requests to check this-other-guy-I-hate-because-he-stole-my-gold-cup scores?

3. That's because around here people don't judge one's 'skill' based on HWP, but WR and GL. How many news on Sam or Knut, and how many on 8pack & co?

Also, I bet you can count on one hand the amount of CPUs that can rack up big HWP in this lame-o-benchmark.

1. Wrapper's there in its unfinished state, but it's a circle-jerk like the 'antivirus-virus' situation. Not worth the time.

2. You can only do so much. Would you like to have your PM full by requests to check this-other-guy-I-hate-because-he-stole-my-gold-cup scores?

3. That's because around here people don't judge one's 'skill' based on HWP, but WR and GL. How many news on Sam or Knut, and how many on 8pack & co?

Also, I bet you can count on one hand the amount of CPUs that can rack up big HWP in this lame-o-benchmark.

Indeed you can now..I'm struggling for 4 :/ ..and the newest one is 2600K.

Just to list the ones with any meaningful points I can think of:2600k,i7 920,q6600.

That's no fun.Well..options are very limited.

The other one is 980x! :D

Edited by Schmuckley

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TheMadDutchDude

*thinks to himself* Hmm. Someone has more money than me. Can't be fair that they bench the newer, more expensive stuff than what I can afford; can it? *stops thinking*

Give up, dude. You're feeling hard done by and crying about something that'll never change. It's life, get over it.

The points are gone, and for good reason. That's really the end of it. No amount of moaning by one individual is going to change that, and I for one am glad it won't. I fully agree that they should be removed. So what if I lost XYZ amount of points...? It's a game that we all VOLUNTARILY choose to play. No one forces you to go and spend thousands on RAID cards and/or SSDs to bench one particular benchmark. It's all down to you. Just sell it, and recoup what money you can, and then just move on.

I was on the fence as to whether or not it bothered me at first with the whole "ask the community but then go the other way approach," but now that I've had a good hard think about it, it really doesn't and it shouldn't.

This has got nothing to do with any team spirit or anything. Because your on OCN does not automatically mean I'm going to agree with everything you say.

The point is here that this is all sounding like sour grapes and honestly there are not enough people on the bot who bench PCM05 to care that it's gone.

Don't get me wrong I used to enjoy benching it and learning the tweaks for it since it was easily the most tweakable benchmark on the bot. But that's also really the main problem with it and why it has to go. There are simple not enough mods that understand the ins and outs of the benchmark to moderate it correctly and there aren't enough people submitting to make it worth their time doing.

It's just about moving on dude. I'm sure there will be someone on the bot who will make a PCMark type benchmark in the future that won't be so easily ruined by mega tweaks and we can all get back to full system benchmarking again. But with the current lot of benchmarks we have that's not really an option so we'll just have to be patient and wait.

Edited by ObscureParadox