HWBOT Community Forums

GPUPI - SuperPI on the GPU

_mat_

Guest Bullant
Pi Bench : The Return of the NotExactInRound

I don't think you can compare this "GPUI bench" to super pi,they are in no way the same imo,maybe gpui is comparable to hwbot prime on software requirements

Edited by Bullant

Guest Bullant
I don't that's completely fair, HWBot prime is the only benchmark I know where the real stress testing begins when you save the screenshot ;)

Ahah,I was just meaning that gpui efficiency seems to come from software vs super Pi is different,I'm not bagging the bench as every bench requires the tweaker to get the best efficiency

Not true. GPUPI is just not memory bandwidth limited especially on GPUs where memory is already very fast. It's like SuperPi 1M if you would like to compare them. But you shouldn't because these two benches are very different in its core. GPUPI has its own tweaks in hardware and software but like for every benchmark out there it depends on the bottlenecks to get the most efficieny.

But I get what you mean. GPUPI relies on another API+driver layer, like 3D benchmarks with DX and GPU driver. That adds another level of tweaking as well that should be used of course.

Edited by _mat_

Sorry for the delay, just came back from my vacation. :)

Errors like these indicate a malformed file or an errornous upload. The submission files are very sensitive because of their encryption. As the browser switch solved your problem I would guess a browser extension got in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah nothing there, had another look.

Tried installing SDK separately, tried rolling back to 12.1 and 12.4 with older OpenCL in it.

Nothing.

A quick google search has revealed quite a few "miners" who had the same problem trying to mine with these cards. Maybe they just aren't OpenCL compatible?

Will keep searching around and see if there is a fix somewhere buried deep in the interwebs.

Although double precision was introduced with the HD 4800 series, it seems like it still does not support it via OpenCL. Maybe it's only a driver bug, but I don't think that the double precision extension was ever implemented for it. I remember these times, OpenCL was not around when the RV770 was launched in 2008 and also after it's first draft in August 2009 it took a while to catch on. Back then ATI/AMD had its own GPGPU languages like Brook and CTM (Close-To-Metal) ... both are no longer supported by the AMD Stream SDK.

So I guess you are out of luck with those graphics cards. :(

Btw, I have not given up on the idea to replace double precision with an float emulation mode yet. Let's see what the future brings.

skulstation -

what ar the chanses thad it whil work whit Pentium III / amd K6 and below ?

Next to none. IIRC the software driver need Core of Xeon CPU's. From release notes:

The OpenCL Runtime provides OpenCL CPU device support on the following processors:

• Intel® Core™ Processors

• Intel Xeon Processor E3, E5, E7 families

https://software.intel.com/file/450209/download

It still won't work at all for me, tough.

I wonder, what to do, when GPUPI just output the message "Could not start worker thread" ...

Could_not_start_worker_thread.jpg

Win7 lite, installed the latest OpenCL drivers for Intel (Core 2 Extreme X6800 utilized) and the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (x86), as mentioned there: https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread

Any ideas?

I used Open CL runtime for CPU v15.1 x86 (Win7 x86 only) from Intel from there: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#win32

I give a try the x64 versions using normal x64 Win7 install. Cannot seems to find older that v15.1 Open CL x32 CPU driver. If anyone know, where to get it, I test it gladly.

Then I installed Win7 64bit, instaled the Microsoft Visual C++ libs 2013 x64, installed OpenCL 15.1 x64 and run GPUPI - again failure:

gpupi_x64_fail_again.jpg

Makes me wonder, if anyone else could run it (on CPU only, using the v15.1 OpenCL) and if I could run it, when my graphic card is recognized and have drivers. For some testing I use ATI Rage 128 PRO and there is not Win7 drivers for it, as far, as I searched. W98/98SE/ME - yes. Win2k - yes. WinXP - yes. Win7 - NO! Suxx. At least I made some Cinebench scores (could be better, if there is a driver for GFX card installed, on the 32bit version the score go from 8.13 to 8.17 just by installing GFX card drivers on Xeon X5650... :nana: )

Never the less, I did not managed it to work. Any ideas?

HD 4800 should work just fine. Well, at least it did when using older GPUPI 2.0. http://hwbot.org/submission/2830026_havli_gpupi___1b_radeon_hd_4870_16min_54sec_963ms

Maybe I'll try it again tomorow with latest GPUPI version. :)

Then it's a driver issue, because the latest GPUPI has no changes in this regard.

skulstation, I will have a look at OpenCL initialization on these old CPUs. Maybe there is a compatibility issue with certain parameters when creating the context.