HWBOT Community Forums

GPUPI - SuperPI on the GPU

_mat_

Thanks guys, I will look into it!

slight disprecancies here too, but I guess cpu-z will win...?

otherwise, hd 4xxx is on a dead end for me, no matter which opencl driver package i install (catalyst 13.9, amd app sdk 3.0), the device is not visible in the list of devices

Great work! :)

I can confirm both GPUPI v3.1.1 and 3.2 legacy are working on 32-bit Pentium 4 windows XP system. I'll test some of the older GPUs soon, curious how they will work.

gpupi_3.1.1.legacyj9ka8.png

Btw - since you have nice HW detection implemented, would it be too much to ask for automatic datafile name suggesting, like x265 is doing for example?

It would make benchmarking for HW masters a little easier :) I'm using following pattern:

amount_of_HW_x_HW_name_benchmark_type_score

2x_Opteron_2216_HWBOT_x265-1080p_2.18 fps.hwbot

Hi mat

Gpupi 64 used to work on Pentium 4 and Pentium D on Win7 64, but currently with 3.1.1, I am getting systematic appcrash on gpupi when loading hwinfo DLL for a pentium d 930.

no matter the fsb/ ram settings, at stock same thing.

on pentium D945 no issues

http://hwbot.org/submission/3785541_bolc_gpupi_for_cpu___100m_pentium_d_945_3min_36sec_591ms

I tried HPET activated or not in the OS (timer RTC 1 ms or 14.xx Mhz like on the D 945 sub, but the app still crashes).

Any dll / c++ / .net required to hwinfo ...? (if it got corrupted, I did d 945 tests, now d 930)

Thanks if you have some tips top share.

Ps: I suppose gpupi will give better results on Win7 64 than on XP using legavcy? On Win7 using legacy, calculation times were much longer)

Use GPUPI 3.2 and try other HWiNFO settings in the Settings dialog before the run. Try "Safe Mode" first and disable it if necessary. If the error happens already when you start GPUPI, please post a screenshot.

The Legacy version will be slower on new hardware as it can't use that many features due to OpenCL 1.1 compatibility. But on old hardware that shouldn't matter, just use the newest OS and drivers possible for the device.

Btw - since you have nice HW detection implemented, would it be too much to ask for automatic datafile name suggesting, like x265 is doing for example?

It would make benchmarking for HW masters a little easier :) I'm using following pattern:

amount_of_HW_x_HW_name_benchmark_type_score

2x_Opteron_2216_HWBOT_x265-1080p_2.18 fps.hwbot

Thank you for your kinds words and thanks for the testing. Good to hear that it works for P4s. :)

I like the idea of the unified result file naming and will put it in the next minor release!

I am also testing some old graphics cards currently and will add some improvements as well, if possible.

Use GPUPI 3.2 and try other HWiNFO settings in the Settings dialog before the run. Try "Safe Mode" first and disable it if necessary. If the error happens already when you start GPUPI, please post a screenshot.

The Legacy version will be slower on new hardware as it can't use that many features due to OpenCL 1.1 compatibility. But on old hardware that shouldn't matter, just use the newest OS and drivers possible for the device.

sweet thing to be able to select the hwinfo detection level on gpupi 3.2 ;)

driver is listed as amd opencl 1.2

the app crashes on safe mode, debug mod or total.

only on OFF it goes fine

Edited by bolc

• 4 weeks later...

I keep getting crashes when trying to validate to file with my GTX 260 for some reason. The bench runs fine every time with HWinfo turned off but I cannot get it to validate at all.

Running GPUPI 3.2 Legacy on Win 7 SP1 x64 with GeForce 342.01 drivers. It works perfectly fine with a newer gpu installed.

Model of card is the GFB GTX 260 MaxCore 55. Everything is running at stock frequencies.

This is what the windows crash log says;

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    GPUPI.exe
  Application Version:    3.2.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    5a836460
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_0a9e
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    00000000
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Hi mat :)

I tend to have consistent and no bug so far on 3.1 but on 3.1.1 and 3.2 I also do. This is a vague statement of course... on 3.2 my biggest issue is that the checksum for saving the file is given as bad, while no pb at all on 3.1.

on 3.1.1 i get some crashes on hwinfo loading.

apart form that, this gpupi is a lovely tool :)

keep it up. and thank you !

On 26.3.2018 at 7:37 PM, DR4G00N said:

Unfortunately I can't provide that due to GPUPI crashing before the validation file is created.

Ok, now I understand, what you meant. I thought it happens when you are using the validation functionality on your already saved data file.

Have you tried to skip the detection of your graphics card when saving the data file?

On 26.3.2018 at 1:31 PM, bolc said:

... on 3.2 my biggest issue is that the checksum for saving the file is given as bad, while no pb at all on 3.1.

on 3.1.1 i get some crashes on hwinfo loading.

Hi bolc,

thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!

Regarding your problems: Can you provide a screenshot for the bad checksum problem please? I need to know the exact error message and where it happens.

The crashes due to HWiNFO are hard to completely avoid. There is so much hardware out there, that it's almost certain that something goes wrong when you are testing a lot and especially old components. But every new version gets the latest HWiNFO library, that always comes with a lot of fixes and improvements, so please use the latest version of GPUPI if possible.

And if you come across a hardware detection error, please select the "Debug Mode" for detection and post it here together with some information of the hardware, that seems to cause the crash. I will forward it to Martin from HWiNFO, so it will get a chance to be fixed.

1 hour ago, _mat_ said:

Hi bolc,

thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!

Regarding your problems: Can you provide a screenshot for the bad checksum problem please? I need to know the exact error message and where it happens.

Next time I will save a snapshot :) funny thing is that it give the checksum error, but when you retry 1 or twice, it is then ok. but in the same oc conditions, the 3.1 will not give the error, so I tend to use 3.1 currently :) but I will :)

++

On 26.3.2018 at 7:37 PM, DR4G00N said:

Unfortunately I can't provide that due to GPUPI crashing before the validation file is created.

I have rewritten the data file saving for GPUPI 3.3 and the skipping of CPU or GPU detections is done in a safer way now. The downloads links will be up soon, so please retest any time.

One more side note: David (mllrkllr88) from overclock.net is currently holding a competition with GTX 260s and GPUPI is part of it. I am working closely together with him to fix any bugs the users encounter. The GTX 260 is one of the oldest and slowest cards to run GPUPI plus GPGPU computing was in a very early stage back then when these cards were released, so it is a bit of challenge.

Here is the link to the competition: http://www.overclock.net/forum/410-benchmarking-competitions/1675577-freezer-burn-overclocking-competition.html

• Like 1

On 29.3.2018 at 2:43 PM, bolc said:

Next time I will save a snapshot :) funny thing is that it give the checksum error, but when you retry 1 or twice, it is then ok. but in the same oc conditions, the 3.1 will not give the error, so I tend to use 3.1 currently :) but I will :)

Thanks, that would be very helpful. Please open the Debug Log (Menu: Tools => Debug Log) as well when you are taking the screenshot. There should be a technical description coming from the HWBOT server that provides further information about the submission error.

Just to clarify: There is no difference in the HWBOT submission code between GPUPI 3.1 and 3.2. I have heard of the issue and it's most likely a bad network connection or a hiccup of the HWBOT servers while submitting. I don't want to rule out an error on my part though.

You have to install the latest GeForce drivers.

You can verify this by opening the debug log (Menu: Tools => Debug Log), there will be an error that states, that your driver is not ready for CUDA 9.x.

As an alternative you can use the Legacy Version of GPUPI. It's compatible with older GeForce driver versions, but will most certainly perform worse.

Edited by _mat_

• Members
54 minutes ago, _mat_ said:

You have to install the latest GeForce drivers.

You can verify this by opening the debug log (Menu: Tools => Debug Log), there will be an error that states, that your driver is not ready for CUDA 9.x.

As an alternative you can use the Legacy Version of GPUPI. It's compatible with older GeForce driver versions, but will most certainly perform worse.

Ah so you need to use the legacy version to get cuda 8 to work? (seemingly drivers with cuda 9 cause my os to freeze/lag/crash when going below -60 so can't use them)