HWBOT Community Forums

Another bloody subzero-prep guide

zeropluszero

I had a request here from Junkdogg, a newbie to subzero overclocking who requested I show how I prep a motherboard for subzero overclocking.

First, I'm by no means an expert, I started out with the same advice given to me by the friendly guys here at OCAU and have evolved from there.

JJJC's excellent subzero guide here is the basis for my prep as you can see, but you'll see the slight differences I've made as you progress through.

aRuL0PW.jpg

First off you'll notice I've covered my motherboard in liquid electrical tape spray (Performix Plastidip, bought from eBay). This is used as opposed to vaseline coating which JJJC has used in his guide. I started out using the exact same technique that JJJC uses, using $2 paintbrushes and a hairdryer to melt the vaseline a little. The coating of vaseline doesnt have to be too thick, just enough to waterproof the board. I'd like to stress that I am only trying the LET spray out, whereas vaseline, while messy is quick, cheap and works great.

For CPU only cooling, I would coat the entire top half of the board down to the second or third expansion slot. If I am cooling a Graphics card as well, I will probably take the waterproofing down most of the board. I will remove all heatsinks, and coat the mosfets and around the PCH chipset, then generally put them straight on over the top.

SjbcVgE.jpg

Next, I take toilet paper or paper towel, trimmed with scissors and force this between my ram slots, and into the unused ram slots with a butter knife.

If using toilet paper, cut a single sheet into thirds, then fold each of these thirds in half twice, then force it into the slots.

This is to fill the slots and prevent water condensation from shorting parts of your motherboard. With a pair of fine tweezers this is completely removable.

nvvx2Jq.jpg

Next I will use the flat sheet insulation I have and put the back of the LN2 pot's backplate and screws through it. I generally then place a piece of paper toweling over this and between the motherboard to catch any further water.

the entire back of your motherboard should also be covered in vaseline.

L5HjUrV.jpg

Next push the hold down screws through the motherboard, be careful here not to damage any traces on the back of your board.

ImplX6v.jpg

hold down screws pushed through, time for the top.

zfAqtnu.jpg

Here I put a cut out piece of paper toweling on the lowest part of the board. This is used for catching the water that will collect here when the setup is torn down.

u82r8XV.jpg

cYi0LyM.jpg

next a foam gasket is cut to shape and fits over the CPU area of the motherboard. this is to create an airtight seal around the bottom of the pot and CPU area. I spend a good while cutting these gaskets out and fitting them to the motherboard and making them just wide enough to fit the base of my pot.

IcTw4EV.jpg

Here the base of my Kingpin Venom pot. These pots come pre-drilled with a small hole at the base, where I have inserted my temperature probe with a little bit of thermal paste on it to seal it in. I then tape the probe in place.

coVIEuO.jpg

I use Gelid GC Extreme for subzero work, many feel it is the best thermal paste for sub zero.

otG4Rog.jpg

My personal recommendation on thermal paste spread.

use some cheap stuff and mount your pot a couple of times to get a feel for the amount and pressure required to get a good even spread.

h9n5SmE.jpg

Next I test the mount I have with the base of the pot and some hand-applied pressure.

dC7dDDY.jpg

Looks ok to me.

FbjLWw7.jpg

Mounting the top of the pot and the hold down screws.

FbjLWw7.jpg

Next I wrap the whole pot in some paper towel (I've used chux in the past as well). Take two rubber bands and put them over the top of the screws, then wrap the paper towel around, then roll the rubber bands over the paper towel to hold it in place.

4HERciL.jpg

Ram mounted, and a piece of the toweling cut how I force into the ram slots.

0pMI6jU.jpg

Some paper toweling between the ram slots

PpQnYx3.jpg

Mount a fan with a rubber band to hold it in place to blow away acetone fumes/LN2 vapor

Thats it for my guide. I'll write up a graphics card feature another day.

• 4 weeks later...

Some clarification on the between the memory slot stuff.

P2SryMD.jpg

freshly plastidip'd motherboard.

SS3Rddc.jpg

single sheets of toilet paper, cut in thirds.

q18d1pQ.jpg

then fold each of these in half twice

yjzyCqS.jpg

jam them down in unused slots and between them. this area is prone to condensation and is difficult to vas. I use a butter knife, and these are easily removed with tweezers.

mtBMcxm.jpg

hey presto