HWBOT Community Forums

4890 software voltage adjust

Hey guys, was just wondering what software if any would allow my reference 4890 to overvolt past 1.35v, I seem to remember being able to set past 1.4v in the day but can't seem to remember what to use, afterburner is only letting me set 1.35v currently :(

Thanks for your time.

EDIT : Forgot about GPU tool, that of course works a treat for anyone who is interested.

Edited by ObscureParadox

me too always forget gputool-for VT1165 voltage controllers best out there. but in beginning everybody flashed asus bios to use our so much beloved smartdoc!

and i have xfx black which has starting volt of whooping 1,425v-gets very hot vrm + core on air.

crazy xfx i seem to remind i could undervolt this card to 1,350v or less.

ah and forgot rivatuner with vt1156 pugin-works well to

i like it a lot because of ovp+ocp monitor

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?217002-RivaTuner-plugin-supporting-GT2xx-and-HD4870-Voltage-Tuning

all together:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?215521-Tutorial-How-to-softmod-to-ANY-VGPU-you-want-without-hardmods!-%281-3-1-6v-or-more%29

sorry ti hijack your thread obscureparadox

Edited by basco

Has anyone flashed a non reference xfx 4890 with another bios?? Namely the BE bios. Trust me to get one without the voltar controller, how do i find the datasheet for the controller as i may be able to pencil mod it.

If i flash and brick it do i just put another card in another slot so i can flash the bricked one??

Has anyone flashed a non reference xfx 4890 with another bios?? Namely the BE bios. Trust me to get one without the voltar controller, how do i find the datasheet for the controller as i may be able to pencil mod it.

If i flash and brick it do i just put another card in another slot so i can flash the bricked one??

Nick send me a PM of the card. If it's the same one as I had quite a while ago then it's fairly simple to mod :)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

If the flash goes wrong, you can always flash it back through DOS or even via Windows if you put another card in to boot with and use the bricked one as a secondary. My 5850s didn't always flash properly and for some reason thought they had 3400 MHz VRAM. Simple enough to fix. :)

Have been reading regards flashing with the BE bios and i'm yet to find one that worked, mainly due to the 6+8 pin config i believe. Looking like a hard mod is the way to go, but is it worth it with the analogue caps???? i'm i better off grabbing another model?? for what they cost and maybe less hassle in the long run??

I don't know if digital is the way to go with the 4890 or not honestly. I've got a few digital and analogue ones here and I'm going to test them both against each other when I get the chance next.

For water though you might be better getting a reference card. Since you won't really need to do any mods for that, although I would keep hold of the card if anything just for practicing volt mods on since you don't really want to start doing it on a golden card first.

^from what i read yes, thats why i was going to flash bios, mine will do 970 at stock and no idea how good that is, under water and 1.31v

Well I tested 3 this weekend on air and used 1.3v for all 3.

Card 1 Sapphire Custom : 1000/1200 vantage stable

Card 2 XFX Reference : 970/1200 vantage stable

Card 3 XFX Reference : 930/1175 Vantage stable

So your card seems to fit right in the middle if anything slightly worse than my card 2 if you're on water.

But you sure your card is running at that voltage? Mine was at 1.27v roughly