HWBOT Community Forums

How do you not eventually turn into a d-bag in overclocking?

Splave

Not a bad thread. I like what Alva wrote. But he's a bit biased, because the OC scene in Indonesia is really awesome :D.

In general, I think a lot has to do with insufficient communication. It's weird hearing 10 different versions of a story from 10 different people. For some reason there's a trend of "backdoor talk" too. You know, this "he said this about you" kind of thing. I don't really like that kind of talk, and prefer to ignore most of it. Luckily after a while you know the people you can trust and those you have to be careful with :).

In the end, there will be people who hate you no matter what you do. They will just hate you because you are you. Best thing is to get over it and move on.

obama-brush-ya-shoulders-off-o.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as Albrecht said,

Overclocking is a hobby, and competition are supposed to make things more enjoyable in this hobby of ours. And since the competitiveness of overclocking grows by the day, somebody will eventually find a way to get ahead of others, and this is NOT a crime.

- Somebody found a legit tweak and won't share it? Let them be, it's their RIGHT to do so after spending some many hours searching for that particular tweak. Of course, If you find something that you wanted to share, it's always welcome :)

- Somebody got a support/sponsor/sample/hardware-for-friends-only? Let them be. Maybe that somebody tried hard to get notified by their current sponsors, and spends most of their time testing/debugging stuff, and if that is rewarded, it is well-deserved, no? ;)

- Somebody binned a lot hardwares? Let them be. Binning requires an effort too, whether it's the money spend on binning, or searching for 'sponsors' to get them ahead of this sillicon lottery.

After all, isn't overclocking all about doing whatever we can to make a piece of PC component go faster than it supposed to do? Why would we let anyone's action stopped us from having fun with our hobby? If by some reason, competing make this hobby less enjoyable, then don't compete, just overclock for whatever reasons that make you happy and enjoy it :)

Alva for president!

I wonder if christian or massman would got the most hates...

Andre, eventhough he is actually a quite nice guy.

Oddly enough his former colleague, Shammy would get most likes I think...

But then again, what do I know.

Very valid topic Splave, and ofc. you have to gimmi all ya tweaks, or I'll hit ya in the back with a chair :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my opinion, a nOOb opinion in this amazing OC world.

I am agree with many of the things that Keny said, it's hard to see how you buy a CPU or GPU while some other guy get a full tray for free and post the picture on facebook...xD.

But you are competing right? You compete with what you have, just enjoy it and accept it. I accept it a long time ago, I am from a latin-american country where the only current active OC is me (I think) and while a lot of guys here runs 2011-V3 with GTX 9xx series, I only can run a 4670k with a GTX 680 or GTX 760...that's all and with that I have the fun that I don't have playing games.

My current CPU isn't the best one, 5.7GHz with a single core active and 5GHz stable for 3D on a Ranger VII motherboard. Nothing amazing compared with the CPUs used for some Pro guys over here but that is was I have for now. After see a lot of high score i understood that a good CPU is a big part of the equation and while I can get one decent from market place here, I would have to use the crap that I have, same goes for GPUs (I have one on list to buy...) and more with my little or better, with not GPU LN2 experience until now.

I do not know a lot of tweaks, even, I have to say thanks to Alva, Cl3p20, Genieben and some other guys for sharing some basic things with me and guide me on the best way to keep the hobby.

That's my opinion, as many guys says...enjoy the "game", if you do not do it just change the hobby and find another one that doesn't need tons of money and weeks of tweaks.

See you.

• 2 months later...

i just hate Massman and SF3D because they tricked me with delicious whiskey when we were at cebit, then Christian Ney was nice enough to take care of me while i was wandering like a zombi in the disco xD

and i hate Roman too cause i suspect him to be the one who covered me with a gay blanket while i was dead-drunk asleep

miss old days...and i miss:

-drinking bourbon with Kenny

-laughing with Monstru

-arm-wrestling with SF3D

-making hicookie drunk with tequila

-watching Sam drinking vodka

-teaching Spanish slang to Pt1t

-having endless beer with joe_cool

-joking about overkill cooling GPU solutions with Massman

that was good old day OC

Out of the 11 things you miss, only one has any kind of connection to overclocking :D :D :D :D

I miss the good old days too. IMO 2007-2012 were the golden age of OC. (IMO!)

I couldn't pick one best OC memory. Most are people-related though, not score related. Some scores and sessions, I do remember :)

Net time, it will be single-malt, not bourbon ;)

Out of the 11 things you miss, only one has any kind of connection to overclocking :D :D :D :D

I miss the good old days too. IMO 2007-2012 were the golden age of OC. (IMO!)

I couldn't pick one best OC memory. Most are people-related though, not score related. Some scores and sessions, I do remember :)

Net time, it will be single-malt, not bourbon ;)

haha yo Kenny how you doing man

well actually it has some connection to overclockers, and no overclocking could have ever happpened without overclockers :D

single-malt, i'm all down for that :)

take care!!

• 2 weeks later...

the OC scene needs less Douchbags and more respect and mateship in it.

More live comps on the local countries would get more people into it instead of whinning.

and more girls, since this is just a giant cock fest.. :P need to level out all that testosterone..

Great post by alva.

Real Question whilst where talking about who is Douchbags in OC. Am I one? :P