HWBOT Community Forums

Need your help! Hexus Pifast background design

Currently working on a wrapper for Hexus Pifast to make the app less cheat-able. Won't take that long to code (I hope :D), adding it to the HWBOT dbase will take a little longer.

Just like with the Unigine Heaven wrapper, we're going to have a GUI to launch the benchmark. Now, unlike the heaven benchmark, pifast doesn't really have a fancy GUI or picture ... so we need something to match the benchmark!

In contrary to my extremely l33t HWBOINT design skills, which causes emotional damage just by looking at it, my photoshop design skills are sub-par. That's why I'm more than happy if someone from the community can provide a nice design for the background of the Pifast GUI.

Size: 600x400 (same like Unigine)

Type: I prefer tight designs like this, this or this

Oh, and any feedback regarding the Pifast wrapper (what should be in and what should be out) is also welcome :)

Massy, by feedback do you mean ideas on what it should be able to trace out? ;)

As I understand, the cheat-proofing feature list is closed from public? I'll give you some ideas soon.

From the thread title: "Need ... help ... background design". :D

What we do to prevent cheating is indeed kept internally (for good reasons). Of course, if you have ideas on how to add more protection, please share.

why can't we go solid white or solid black on this? or bling and 1337ness is the compulsory part of every new hwbot benchmark ?

One part of using a new application is visual identification. I don't want it to be bling, but I definitly want it to be visually different from other applications you're running. A black background with a huge PI symbol is actually already enough ... no bling, but tight design.

Can we just use a pic of Massman?

(as long as it's not the sauna pic)

or... sauna pic that unveils itself as a function of time... starting at the top and working down. It would be the best incentive to upgrade from slow CPUs and OC as much as possible :P

My thoughts:

By far the simplest pifast cheat is yee olde photoshoppe, strikes me that a nice easy way to get rid of that one (if you even allow screenshot pifast submissions, making it auto-submit-only would do the trick right there) would be to have the background colors randomly selected on startup. Hard to photoshop two things with different colors fading around together.

My thoughts:

By far the simplest pifast cheat is yee olde photoshoppe, strikes me that a nice easy way to get rid of that one (if you even allow screenshot pifast submissions, making it auto-submit-only would do the trick right there) would be to have the background colors randomly selected on startup. Hard to photoshop two things with different colors fading around together.

Very true. Also, its possible to have a complex background pattern. Subdued enough that it doesn't hurt your eyes, but still light enough that you can tell if its been tampered with.

________

Edited by KingFishy

Tell me what you think. If you want anything changed feel free to ask.

http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/kingoftheboos/?action=view&current=HexusPifastbackgroundbyKingFishy.png

Looking cool!

Can you drop the big red-PI image and move the Pifast image to the lower right corner with background still black?

That allows us to have all the buttons in the black background.

Looking cool!

Can you drop the big red-PI image and move the Pifast image to the lower right corner with background still black?

That allows us to have all the buttons in the black background.

Definitely! If you can give me a screen shot of what the GUI will look like i can match it up perfectly. I will knock out a prototype in the meantime.

Edit: Here's the link of the new one: http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/kingoftheboos/?action=view&current=HexusPifastbackgroundNum2byKingFishy.png

________

Edited by KingFishy

• 2 weeks later...
So you meen generate a random ASCII sequence each run depending of some sort of variable? Nice idea.

That would be pretty difficult to photoshop, but that would be one more thing the processor would have to do to run the benchmark.

________

Edited by KingFishy

Not completely random, but random words. Random letters you can chop together and who knows whether that A used to be next to that E, but if you're trying to chop in a 4x6 character block and you have random 6 character words trailing into it from both sides it'd be a nightmare.

I'd generate it before running the bench, then it's not especially different from any other background. Plus, if the bench requires it be done it's just another part of the bench.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...