HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI X99 OC & GAMING Motherboards

mr. robot

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run my G.Skill Trident Z memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ which is for sale here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231915 and it runs fine at 3200Mhz speeds. The only issue is that the red XMP LED light on the motherboard does not work with the 131 or 133 BETA BIOS'es currently available. It will run at the 3200Mhz XMP setting perfectly fine though and its a 32GB 3200Mhz kit.

What I really want to try are these bad boys: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-232-207

Model: F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ -- 32GB 3200Mhz CAS 14 kit!

Edited by vdelvec

Sorry to hear, I'll keep that in mind but the answer of your question is in my previous posts! ;)

Pepi, I read those posts but I didn't exactly understand what you were saying. Were you trying to say that the 1.45v AUTO for ring is too high for 24/7 4.4Ghz overclock or is it an OK voltage?

I also don't understand what Ring OC1 and OC2 are.

And one final thing, when I asked you about the SA Offset. I meant the Manual Mode or Offset Mode. Should I keep it Adaptive or Offset?

I run my G.Skill Trident Z memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ which is for sale here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231915 and it runs fine at 3200Mhz speeds. The only issue is that the red XMP LED light on the motherboard does not work with the 131 or 133 BETA BIOS'es currently available. It will run at the 3200Mhz XMP setting perfectly fine though and its a 32GB 3200Mhz kit.

What I really want to try are these bad boys: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-232-207

Model: F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ -- 32GB 3200Mhz CAS 14 kit!

You can always try but remember, if the kit is not on the official support list, we do not guarantee proper operation or provide support, especially when the kit is not meant for X99 platform.

Pepi, I read those posts but I didn't exactly understand what you were saying. Were you trying to say that the 1.45v AUTO for ring is too high for 24/7 4.4Ghz overclock or is it an OK voltage?

I also don't understand what Ring OC1 and OC2 are.

And one final thing, when I asked you about the SA Offset. I meant the Manual Mode or Offset Mode. Should I keep it Adaptive or Offset?

To be honest I don't really know what is unsafe. :D

I tried up to 1.45v Ring and 1.5v Ring OC2 on air without damage but for 24/7, I would probably not go over 1.25v-1.3v on Ring and 1.4-1.45v on Ring OC2.

That should be enough to stabilize 4GHz on most CPUs.

I think the bold part was perfectly clear but anyway, there is two voltages that affect Ring overclocking:

- vRing (1.25v~1.3v for 24/7)

- Ring OC2 (1.4~1.45v for 24/7)

You are pushing 1.45v on vRing so...

Ring OC1 don't help above 0.95v so best is to keep it AUTO.

Same for SA, you don't need to change this setting, AUTO is fine:

Adaptive is a "dynamic mode", voltage will change depending on load.

Offset mode will add voltage to stock voltage so let's say stock is 1.1v and you want 1.25v, you need to add +150mv.

Override is the best in my opinion, you just key-in desired voltage directly.

Edited by pepinorang

You can always try but remember, if the kit is not on the official support list, we do not guarantee proper operation or provide support, especially when the kit is not meant for X99 platform.

I think the bold part was perfectly clear but anyway, there is two voltages that affect Ring overclocking:

You are pushing 1.45v on vRing so...

Ring OC1 don't help above 0.95v so best is to keep it AUTO.

Same for SA, you don't need to change this setting, AUTO is fine:

Adaptive is a "dynamic mode", voltage will change depending on load.

Offset mode will add voltage to stock voltage so let's say stock is 1.1v and you want 1.25v, you need to add +150mv.

Override is the best in my opinion, you just key-in desired voltage directly.

Pepi, NOW I FINALLY understand! Thank you so much!

Also, you say that:

...should be enough to stablize 4Ghz. What do you recommend if I wanna stable 4.4Ghz?

Pepi, NOW I FINALLY understand! Thank you so much!

Also, you say that:

...should be enough to stablize 4Ghz. What do you recommend if I wanna stable 4.4Ghz?

I recommend you to try yourself and not go over values I specified. ;)

Hey guys,

I'm just getting into the topic of OC'ing and only understand the bare basics. So please be patient with me. :)

I would like to get some advice on overclocking my CPU. First off, my complete system specs (as I assume, in relation to power consumption etc. you need to know it all):

Mainboard: MSI X99S SLI PLUS

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos SE USB3.0 Midi-Tower (ATX)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80i

RAM: 32768MB DDR4 Crucial Quad Channel 2133MHz (4x 8GB)

GPU: 2x 4096 MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980, DVI, HDMI, 3x DP, SLI

1st Drive: 60GB SATA III Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD

2nd Drive: 500GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD

3rd Drive: 2x 7.200 RPM Drives in RAID

PSU: 750 Watt Thermaltake Toughpower DPS 750W

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Z bulk, PCIe

Disc-Drive: 22x DVD+-RW Double Layer

BIOS, etc. - everything up to date.

So I don't really wanna use the OC Genie function from MSI - first it only brings the CPU to 3.8 (or 3.9 - don't really remember), second it overclocks RAM, GPU etc. as well and it doesn't feel like it's very healthy for the system when I´ve used it for a while (had to replace the MB already - felt like it was caused by that. Had still warranty, luckily! :)).

I was digging into the whole OC'ing a bit, got myself XTU and started tinkering around. My aim was to be as safe as possible with the OC. So heavy load temps max in the beginning 70's, idle temps as low as possible - as the Corsair Cooling is pretty loud under stress.

This was, how I got myself to 4.3 and so far kept my expectations - http://hwbot.org/submission/3151551_. 45min stable at least, tested with CPU stress test via XTU. What would be nice though, if the CPU really would just clock to 4.3 when it's needed. For instance when there is just ~45% load on all cores, it constantly clocks to it's max. Not sure if that is possible though. :)

So it would be awesome, if someone could look over the settings of the profile and give me some advice what I could do better. As I use the machine for work (video editing/VFX - Premiere, After Effects), I need it to be stable and safe over a huge amount of heavy-load-time. So basically I need a decent 24/7 OC.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Cheers,

eC

Edited by ecronik

Lol! Well, if you pay for flight tickets and then some Mojitos I'm in! xD

Pepi, I've started running into a problem. Whether I'm overclocked or not, sometimes my PC totally locks up and I get a weird loud audio buzzing noise that plays constantly when I lock up. The only way to get my system to respond is to hard reset it. Have you ever seen this or heard of this happening before and do you have ANY idea what it might be? It usually only happens when I'm in a game or watching some sort of video.

Pepi, I've started running into a problem. Whether I'm overclocked or not, sometimes my PC totally locks up and I get a weird loud audio buzzing noise that plays constantly when I lock up. The only way to get my system to respond is to hard reset it. Have you ever seen this or heard of this happening before and do you have ANY idea what it might be? It usually only happens when I'm in a game or watching some sort of video.

I had same the problem when I overclock the cache too high. stable OCCT or linX AVX but hard lock in idle mode. Reduce the cache 100-200 solve this problem for me.

Pepi-samamamama!!!

I'm now running:

4.6ghz Core (Core Voltage @ 1.20v)

4.0ghz Uncore (vRing @ 1.25v [Auto])

OC Ring 1 @ Auto

OC Ring 2 @ 1.45v

CPU is under some custom water loop that I thought up using a Alphacool MONSTA 480 rad in push/pull, EK 250 res/Laing D5 pump combo, and a Watercool HEATKILLER IV Anthracite/Nickel-Copper CPU waterblock.

Is this ideal?

Edited by vdelvec

Pepi-samamamama!!!

I'm now running:

4.6ghz Core (Core Voltage @ 1.20v)

4.0ghz Uncore (vRing @ 1.25v [Auto])

OC Ring 1 @ Auto

OC Ring 2 @ 1.45v

CPU is under some custom water loop that I thought up using a Alphacool MONSTA 480 rad in push/pull, EK 250 res/Laing D5 pump combo, and a Watercool HEATKILLER IV Anthracite/Nickel-Copper CPU waterblock.

Is this ideal?

Seems good to me, but you could try to fine tune vRing manually and see if it pass lower like GunnzAkimbo suggested...

Edited by pepinorang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me if this question has been answered...I went threw all 25 pages on this forum and I still need some advice On my new MSI carbon Godlike that came in today.

I stayed of the memory purchase because this the area that I am having problem's with to start my Oc...for my i7 5930 water cooled...system Can anyone one suggest a choice? here are Mine.

1] F4-3200C16Q-16GRKD alot of money but the F4-3200C16Q-16GRK are way cheaper is it because of the fan?

2]F4-3000C15Q-16GRK.F4-2133C15Q-32GRR.CMD16GX4M4B3200C16.CMD32GX4M4A2666C16.

CMD16GX4M4A3333C16

CMK16GX4M4B3000C15

CMK16GX4M4A2666C15R

or any other would help me start.

thanks

Carlo

Edited by Gorgster

Thank you Vdelvec for the quick response I really appreciate it..... the 82E16820232207 looks great but it is not on the Qvl for memory is that ok?

Please prefer kits that on the QVL list to avoid any issues.

Also if you still decide to buy a kit that is not on the list and encounter issues, you won't get support from MSI.