HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI X99 OC & GAMING Motherboards

I can make u plenty of screenshots and things but u would just reject everything. There is enough evidence in the MSI forums. What is the 04,60,55 debug led code reboot loop then??

I just buying a new kit and a new cpu and if they fail again on this board i throw the sh..it out of the window together with my new msi laptop ( jk the GE72 Apache Pro works great hope it stays like that). I never had problems like this with other vendors.

And also i know that u was talking about ICs but i was talking about the IMCs cause u was saying at first it cannot be the ICs, check memtest.

Whatever, u need to look nowhere into cause i am done with this mess. And yeah i have prove that with XMP settings none of my voltages where set correct for my dram (vdimm) and thats why every bootup i had "press F1 OC failed" message. This was related to the ram. With beta bios 1.51 pc is starting with 4 ram sticks populated. No reboot loop but windows is crashing randomly short after bootup because of bad ram stick.

And changelog for 1.4 bios is "- Improved memory compatibility problem.". Ok and u tell people they are not aware of the situation and have no technical knowledge at all? Ok got it! I am done with this.

Btw beeing an engineer at IBM doesnt mean i am a expert in consumer pc electronics but i have knowlegde (advanced) about computers. But hey never talk with a god about things like that. I try to message msi support but i foresee there is the same ignorance regarding this problems. Just because u dont have the problem it doesnt mean others with other configs have not the problem.Have a nice day.

One of the threads: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269740.0 (i add more) look into it and tell me again there is no issue... i have the exact same problem like these people

Edited by ChriscomIT
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can make u plenty of screenshots and things but u would just reject everything. There is enough evidence in the MSI forums. What is the 04,60,55 debug led code reboot loop then?

If I ask you screenshots and detailed info it is to help you and investigate your issue, otherwise I wouldn't even waste hours to answer you everyday!

I'm not in charge of MSI forums and don't even have a member account there, it's FAE's work not mine, thus I don't know what is going there.

I just buying a new kit and a new cpu and if they fail again on this board i throw the sh..it out of the window together with my new msi laptop ( jk the GE72 Apache Pro works great hope it stays like that). I never had problems like this with other vendors.

Why buy anything new when you can RMA your parts easily?

Your CPU probably has nothing to do in this neither, please stop over-exaggerating!

And also i know that u was talking about ICs but i was talking about the IMCs cause u was saying at first it cannot be the ICs, check memtest.

Please show the post where I talked about IMC, there is NONE so please don't invent things, you misread and/or misunderstand!

Whatever, u need to look nowhere into cause i am done with this mess.

If that's your call, then why do you even come here to complain if you don't want my help?!

And yeah i have prove that with XMP settings none of my voltages where set correct for my dram (vdimm) and thats why every bootup i had "press F1 OC failed" message. This was related to the ram. With beta bios 1.51 pc is starting with 4 ram sticks populated. No reboot loop but windows is crashing randomly short after bootup because of bad ram stick.

You have prove NOTHING yet, no screens, no evidences, no detailed info about your setup, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, despite me asking for it several times!

In 1.51 auto rules for timings have been changed (as mentioned to GunnzAkimbo in this post http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=445341&postcount=313)

Some are probably loser for better compatibility, which would explain that a defective memory module can boot easier than with the previous version.

And changelog for 1.4 bios is "- Improved memory compatibility problem.". Ok and u tell people they are not aware of the situation and have no technical knowledge at all? Ok got it! I am done with this.

Once again, BASELESS assumptions!

This is the only mention about memory in the detailed change log (which you don't have access to): "Fix system OC fail issue when use Avexir DDR4-3000 CL17 8GB memory and XMP is Enabled."

Btw beeing an engineer at IBM doesnt mean i am a expert in consumer pc electronics but i have knowlegde (advanced) about computers. But hey never talk with a god about things like that. I try to message msi support but i foresee there is the same ignorance regarding this problems. Just because u dont have the problem it doesnt mean plenty others with other configs have not the problem.Have a nice day.

You mentioned your work as an engineer as your ONLY argument, as if YOU were the god here and that was explaining all, please don't try to reverse roles now! ;)

BTW, as an IBM engineer, maybe you can explain to me how a BIOS flash can kill only 1 memory module out of 4, I'm REALLY curious...

Can you imagine how much motherboards MSI is selling? How much systems are built by System Intregrators with our boards?

Just because you and another guy in some forums say that they have this issue without providing any detailed information on their setup nor any evidence on the issue means that this is a really caused by our BIOS update.

If only you had provided what I have asked many times since the beginning, I could try to reproduce your issue but you never did, so tell me what I'm supposed to do??

One of the threads: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269740.0 (i add more) look into it and tell me again there is no issue... i have the exact same problem like these people

Thanks for the link, however did you even read this thread? I did read all the 7 pages and there is only 1 guy in this thread (OP) with the issue you describe.

Once again, the guy seems to have a limited technical knowledge, he oes not provide any detailed info on system specs, no screens, no evidence and all other posts are either replies to help him or other minor issues not related to yours which some are not even related to memory!

P.S: I have spent 3h on your case this morning, so please next time you answer to me, cut the trolling/BS and do provide detailed information about your issue as I've asked you so many times that I can't even remember, so we can finally move forward and investigate your issue!

Edited by pepinorang
Ok flashed bios 1.51 yesterday and for me it seems to bring back some "Godlikeness". I double flashed bios and did CMOS reset. After that i put all my 4 ram sticks back, started and configured the bios. So from first time on a clean boot with m.2 and and XMP enabled also with all 4 sticks. No more "OC failed press F1" message or continous 04,60,55 debug LED boot loop. From that point good job!

For me only one problem persist now which is that my SteelSeries Sensei mouse will not get recognized after booting up the computer after a longer period in standby.

You had the 04,60,55 debug LED boot loop too with one of your sticks of G.Skill RAM on the Godlike?! I am having this same issue that seemed to appear out of nowhere like the Godlike destroyed one of my RAM sticks... This happened when I updated to BIOS version 1.4 from 1.2 I believe.

Edited by vdelvec
You had the 04,60,55 debug LED boot loop too with one of your sticks of G.Skill RAM on the Godlike?! I am having this same issue that seemed to appear out of nowhere like the Godlike destroyed one of my RAM sticks... This happened when I updated to BIOS version 1.4 from 1.2 I believe.

Yeah sadly and good to see i am not the only one. But dont talk about that here because its not possible that it can be the Godlike whos destroying ur ram, its the cheap ICs which memory vendors using (just kidding).

And yes u have to get or rma ur kit cuz one of ur sticks is defective now.

I got it that with OCed high end ram there is more likely a fail to happen. But so much people have the same problem on the Godlike that its not just that anymore. Its so fishy....

Edited by ChriscomIT
Yeah sadly and good to see i am not the only one. But dont talk about that here because its not possible that it can be the Godlike whos destroying ur ram, its the cheap ICs which memory vendors using (just kidding).

I got it that with OCed high end ram there is more likely a fail to happen. But so much people have the same problem on the Godlike that its not just that anymore. Its so fishy....

It can't be cheap ICs! The Godlike board has already destroyed one G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 stick and TWO Corsair Dominator PLATINUM DDR4 sticks of mine. Are you telling me two of the best, well known, and top quality RAM vendors like Corsair (Dominator Platinum Line) and G.Skill (TridentZ line) both their top tier brand of memory are both cheap ICs? No. I can't believe that. I just can't.

Besides, I have ALWAYS been honest and supported the Godlike motherboard (I even just bought a Godlike Carbon board, so let's hope that one doesn't destroy my memory chips like my original Godlike). Pepi and I are on good terms so I hope he sees that we're NOT lying about this issue. I have a TON of respect for Pepi here and I just hope he sees that it COULD have been a board issue and not a RAM issue when two different top tiers of two top quality RAM sellers have been destroyed on the BIOS updates.

I can confirm that with beta bios 1.51 my mice not recognized after bootup is fixed. I had the problem that my Steelseries Sensei was not recognized by the system after a bootup with some delay in standby ( longer than 5 minutes ) until i replugged the mice.

So with 1.51 beta bios and my 3 working ram modules the issue no longer persists and after every bootup my mice gets recognized properly no matter how long in standby before bootup. Many thanks for that fix!!!

It can't be cheap ICs! The Godlike board has already destroyed one G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 stick and TWO Corsair Dominator PLATINUM DDR4 sticks of mine. Are you telling me two of the best, well known, and top quality RAM vendors like Corsair (Dominator Platinum Line) and G.Skill (TridentZ line) both their top tier brand of memory are both cheap ICs? No. I can't believe that. I just can't.

Besides, I have ALWAYS been honest and supported the Godlike motherboard (I even just bought a Godlike Carbon board, so let's hope that one doesn't destroy my memory chips like my original Godlike). Pepi and I are on good terms so I hope he sees that we're NOT lying about this issue. I have a TON of respect for Pepi here and I just hope he sees that it COULD have been a board issue and not a RAM issue when two different top tiers of two top quality RAM sellers have been destroyed on the BIOS updates.

?

I've flashed official/beta bios revisions since whatever the original bios was from July 2015 and haven't had this problem yet.

I set everything to auto before flashing too.

?

I've flashed official/beta bios revisions since whatever the original bios was from July 2015 and haven't had this problem yet.

Ok thats nice! I flashed with OCed settings.

BTW which memory configuration do u run (vendor and so on) if i could ask ?

?

Perhaps maybe everyone SHOULD switch back to auto settings before flashing a new BIOS version? It just seems like it would be a safer practice overall.

• Crew
Perhaps maybe everyone SHOULD switch back to auto settings before flashing a new BIOS version? It just seems like it would be a safer practice overall.

Always load optimized defaults, flash the bios, let it reboot, re-apply optimized defaults, reboot, start clocking...

If on my Rampage V Extreme I could get 44 ring ratio at 1.246v you thinking I'm stretching it to get 40 ring ratio at 1.2v on a non Turbo motherboard?

Here's hoping, should get my X99A Sli Plus in a day or two, it's been shipped. :)

Why I always like ASUS bios updates. You can update a BIOS using Flashback with no CPU, RAM, nothing in the board.

I might just put one stick in for BIOS updates and hope that minimizes the risk.

• Crew
If on my Rampage V Extreme I could get 44 ring ratio at 1.246v you thinking I'm stretching it to get 40 ring ratio at 1.2v on a non Turbo motherboard?

Here's hoping, should get my X99A Sli Plus in a day or two, it's been shipped. :)

4000 ring on a non OC socket board ?

4000 ring on a non OC socket board ?

Then again I could always do the CPU OC socket hard mod with heat resistant silver conductive paste or pen (I wouldn't try soldering it) and get the 40 to 44 core I had on my R5E!!

I think it can do up to 1.26V with the mod if you measure it after.

http://hwbot.org/news/11337_der8auers_guide_for_haswell_e_4ghz_uncore_for_all_motherboards/

My boss walked in and I rushed this post making a half a dozen formatting errors and left out info. :/

Edited by KedarWolf

Does anyone know what service(s) Command Center Lite needs running in order to work? When in XP, after I disable all but the bare minimum for benching, CCL gives me an error about not working with the mainboard, but if I enable all services it works.

Well,

My 5960X died, after 10 months of use, never abused it.

Didn't do anything stupid to it either, just auto volts.

It was replaced by intel but still cant understand why it would die.

This is what happened:

Using PC, then did shutdown from windows.

Went out for 2 hours of errands.

Came home, pressed power button and no display.

Next day i went to the PC shop and we were using the process of elimination.

I thought DIMM slot 1 was dead on the board, so after swapping out rams and cpus, ended up being the CPU.

Still want to get close the 6900K OC speeds, but what the hell would of killed it with auto volts?

Guessing it could of been constant heat as the thermal paste wasn't very good, it was very cured and heavy to wipe off. Using different paste now and it runs at lower temp.

I even had the internal vr ovp ocp protection enabled.

*Updated to 1.4 with a default bios reset first, and all 4 ram sticks in. Ram is ok after bios pdate.

** i have a feeling the Enhanced Memory Controller setting may have done something to the dead cpu and maybe other users memory faults.

*Could the memory at 3200Mhz be harming the cpu by setting the SA to V1.350 on auto config?

** Never ran prime95 with 16 threads / or in a tortureous manner to the point where it was killing it, just quick benches with Realbench or Cinebench or X264, where it would run just 20 mins or a run through and screenshot the results.

Using the system as a workstation, not a bench station.

Edited by GunnzAkimbo

Where TF is everyone, on holidays?

Concluding that the dead 5960X was something to do with the IMC.

Anyhow, new cpu is in and running cooler with new paste (old paste was definitely interfering with heat transfer) and i can also turn the fan speeds down now.

Keeping ram at 2666 as it holds VCCSA at V1.2, and if i use 3200(auto) for ram it will set V1.350 auto (XMP disabled).

Bit concerned about that high VCCSA with auto settings.

Why is the auto rule for cache/ring changing to fixed voltage when it gets near the 4.0ghz setting?

The lower speeds are using offset volts (3.8 to 3.0). Offset is preferred.

Trying to use auto settings only across the board.

**Updated to 1.51. All ram still working, set to default before updating uefi.

*** Max 5960X volts 24/7 = ?.???

Edited by GunnzAkimbo

Like Leeghoofd said, Computex did take all my time and it is not over yet. :(

Also busy with testing BD-E and writing OC guide for X99.

I'll update the first page with new models/BIOS/tools asap but for sure not this week.

Still waiting all the info I asked so much times from you to investigate your case! :rolleyes:

Including all those forums links of "so much people"with similar issues, because until now it is only you + 2 peoples for thousands boards sold.

Finally someone I can talk to! ;)

Like I said to you before GODLIKE GAMING and GODLIKE GAMING CARBON are the same boards. Actually you can even crossflash BIOS with a simple trick but shuuuush! :D

I just tried to flash BIOS 5x times (5 different boards) from v1.2 to v1.4 with the same CORSAIR memory kit you use, nothing happened.

I will let memtest run overnight and try again to flash with moderate OC settings tomorrow.

Without Turbo Socket, Ring OC is limited to 3.7G-3.8G max with LN2 but I can't remind what it can do on air/water, sorry (it might be the same though).

Why I always like ASUS bios updates. You can update a BIOS using Flashback with no CPU, RAM, nothing in the board.

I might just put one stick in for BIOS updates and hope that minimizes the risk.

We also have "BIOS Flashback" feature on Z170A GAMING M7/M9/XPOWER, however it wouldn't be useful here and not very practical to remove components if you are running full system in case... :D

Well,

My 5960X died, after 10 months of use, never abused it.

Didn't do anything stupid to it either, just auto volts.

It was replaced by intel but still cant understand why it would die.

This is what happened:

Using PC, then did shutdown from windows.

Went out for 2 hours of errands.

Came home, pressed power button and no display.

Next day i went to the PC shop and we were using the process of elimination.

I thought DIMM slot 1 was dead on the board, so after swapping out rams and cpus, ended up being the CPU.

Still want to get close the 6900K OC speeds, but what the hell would of killed it with auto volts?

Guessing it could of been constant heat as the thermal paste wasn't very good, it was very cured and heavy to wipe off. Using different paste now and it runs at lower temp.

I even had the internal vr ovp ocp protection enabled.

*Updated to 1.4 with a default bios reset first, and all 4 ram sticks in. Ram is ok after bios pdate.

** i have a feeling the Enhanced Memory Controller setting may have done something to the dead cpu and maybe other users memory faults.

*Could the memory at 3200Mhz be harming the cpu by setting the SA to V1.350 on auto config?

** Never ran prime95 with 16 threads / or in a tortureous manner to the point where it was killing it, just quick benches with Realbench or Cinebench or X264, where it would run just 20 mins or a run through and screenshot the results.

Using the system as a workstation, not a bench station.

1.35v SA is not enough to damage CPU, as once again it is within Intel specs.

Enhanced Memory Controler auto adjust OC socket voltages to optimize memory OC stability at high frequency, there is no way it can't damage memory.

What was the post code of the dead CPU? Easy to find out if it was IMC related if you can remind it. However, I have been pushing 24/7 and XOC for a much longer time but I have yet to kill any 5960x on X99 with +200pcs tested.

To everyone, FYI before releasing a product and MP BIOS it is not only tested by our BIOS team, QVL team running memtest overnight but also by our DQA team that test devices compatibility and also run burning tests overnight (last step), also most of the memory vendors do test those BIOS. It is not like some random programmer code the BIOS and post it on the website. So it is OK to report bugs and provide feedback negative or positive, but unless you can prove such dramatic claims/assumptions with factual data I suggest you keep them for yourself. Thank you very much.

Edited by pepinorang

"1.35v SA is not enough to damage CPU, as once again it is within Intel specs.

Enhanced Memory Controler auto adjust OC socket voltages to optimize memory OC stability at high frequency, there is no way it can't damage memory.

What was the post code of the dead CPU? Easy to find out if it was IMC related if you can remind it.

Anyway, when I kill a CPU that I have oce'd I don't blame the motherboard, I blame myself. However I'm pushing way more than you and for a much longer time but I have yet to kill any 5960x on X99 with +200pcs tested."

Yer, well i am just not sure how it happened, as it was at auto volts and i dont have the cooling power to do anything outrageous anyway, just the 4.5 core, 4.0 ring, 3200 ram benchmarks. It would function fine with ordinary daily use. Never tortured it with encoding or priming.

Diagnostics:

If i installed 1 stick of RAM, it would turn on then off in about .5 seconds.

If i installed 4 sticks of RAM, it would hang at debug code 60 and stay powered on.

There might be a motherboard fault with power delivery.

I have had other boards that dies (Asrock X99 Extreme11 that died about 7 days after purchase)

Maybe the PSU is surging power (AX1200i) as i have had this for 3 years now and my previous setup died in the same manner with debug code 60 (3930K)- but that is out of warranty.

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for a little bit and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a X99A Godlike mobo with a 5820k. I recently changed from 3200mhz RAM to 3733mhz and noticed I can't change the BCLK on my mobo. If I even add something as small as 0.05mhz it won't POST. It will get to 04 in the debugger then say OC failed even when there was no OC on anything else, occasionally I will find a frequency that will get me to 95 and it will just hang. I have tested this on BIOS's 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.51 with the same results. I have tried messing with several voltages on the CPU and RAM and manually changing the RAM timings to be more lax than normal to no avail. I have tried several CMOS resets then only changing the BCLK too. When I did this I verified it's not overclocking the CPU or RAM either. I have tried under clocking both along with doing the same on my old RAM with the same results.

It's been pretty frustrating I have tested about 40 different variations for the BCLK ranging from low 100's to 130's and have gotten nowhere. On BIOS 1.2 I briefly ran a BCLK of 128.57 mhz, any higher or lower than this exact number would result yet again with me reaching to 04 in the debugger then an OC fail. I couldn't keep this BCLK because as soon as the PC was fully powered down, the next time it would boot back up I would get an OC failed message (even though this was tested to be fully stable for hours in Realbench), I would then have to go back into the BIOS, save the exact settings and boot again for it to work. This wasn't the worst part though, the 128.57 BCLK would force my Intel 750 SSD to run from PCI Express 3 @ x2 to PCI Express 2 @ x2, changing the BCLK back to 100mhz fixed it.

I'm really hoping someone can help me on this. Perhaps someone knows how to get more than 3200mhz from the 100mhz BCLK? This would fix my issue too. In the meantime I got that 3733 RAM going at much lower latencies to kinda compensate. 3200mhz 14-16-16-24-1T

Oh one more thing, I too mysteriously had 1 RAM stick go bad on me with this mobo last month, I do not overvolt it either.

Edited by Striker444