HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI X99 OC & GAMING Motherboards

mr. robot

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your 5820k's memory controller is not capable of frequenties like 3733MHz.

A speed like 3200 is more normal. If you have a verry good chip you might be able to run 3400 or 3466, but normally this is it.

Thank you for the quick reply Sparks. I wouldn't mind getting to 3466, I was able to get very close to that doing the 128.57 BCLK and my system was 100% stable. If you have any suggestions of how I can get to that with keeping my PCIE 3 for the SSD and without an overclock failed message you would be my hero. I really wish I could have a way to get a better memory divider than 3200mhz at 100 BCLK. It would resolve this issue.

Edited by Striker444

Thank you for the quick reply Sparks. I wouldn't mind getting to 3466, I was able to get very close to that doing the 128.57 BCLK and my system was 100% stable. If you have any suggestions of how I can get to that with keeping my PCIE 3 for the SSD and without an overclock failed message you would be my hero. I really wish I could have a way to get a better memory divider than 3200mhz at 100 BCLK. It would resolve this issue.

Broadwell-E supports more memory dividers at 100BCLK.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Broadwell-E supports more memory dividers at 100BCLK.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

sabishiihito, now you're are talking my language!! I was considering selling my CPU to a friend but couldn't find enough reason to do so since the IPC was basically the same on Broadwell-E vs Haswell-E. But if I get more options for a memory divider that is good enough for me (I have a hard time getting rid of my upgrade itch).

Can anyone tell me what the max divider for Broadwell-E on this mobo is at 100mhz BCLK?

Edited by Striker444

"1.35v SA is not enough to damage CPU, as once again it is within Intel specs.

Enhanced Memory Controler auto adjust OC socket voltages to optimize memory OC stability at high frequency, there is no way it can't damage memory.

What was the post code of the dead CPU? Easy to find out if it was IMC related if you can remind it.

Anyway, when I kill a CPU that I have oce'd I don't blame the motherboard, I blame myself. However I'm pushing way more than you and for a much longer time but I have yet to kill any 5960x on X99 with +200pcs tested."

Yer, well i am just not sure how it happened, as it was at auto volts and i dont have the cooling power to do anything outrageous anyway, just the 4.5 core, 4.0 ring, 3200 ram benchmarks. It would function fine with ordinary daily use. Never tortured it with encoding or priming.

Diagnostics:

If i installed 1 stick of RAM, it would turn on then off in about .5 seconds.

If i installed 4 sticks of RAM, it would hang at debug code 60 and stay powered on.

There might be a motherboard fault with power delivery.

I have had other boards that dies (Asrock X99 Extreme11 that died about 7 days after purchase)

Maybe the PSU is surging power (AX1200i) as i have had this for 3 years now and my previous setup died in the same manner with debug code 60 (3930K)- but that is out of warranty.

Seems like IMC indeed, what were the volts for RING?

sabishiihito, now you're are talking my language!! I was considering selling my CPU to a friend but couldn't find enough reason to do so since the IPC was basically the same on Broadwell-E vs Haswell-E. But if I get more options for a memory divider that is good enough for me (I have a hard time getting rid of my upgrade itch).

Can anyone tell me what the max divider for Broadwell-E on this mobo is at 100mhz BCLK?

Max ratio is DDR4-4000 but for 4 DIMM OC, 3500+ is possible on air with a very good IMC, and they are harder to find than 5960X.

What would be considered an average IMC on Haswell-E? I struggle to even get 3200 (no matter what latencies) to boot without dropping channels? Not sure if more VCCSA would help, didn't try beyond 1.05V yet. Also awkward is that sometimes the channel is there, but instead of the full 8GB only 4GB are detected.

Did anyone try the A.5 MP BIOS for the XPower yet? If so, is the Ring OC1/OC2 voltage gone for you as well? DDR OC1/OC2/OC3 are still there however.

The RING volts was whatever the board auto sets.

Sometimes i would try 1.200 to see how stable it was, but set back everything to auto, let the board figure it out and it seemed to work stable.

Think the board may have a fault now.

Will begin a RMA, left message on MSI forums, as it now doesnt boot with XMP 3000Mhz.

And the RING is unstable even at 3200mhz (getting blue screen 0xc000021a until i set it back to auto/default)

Also the RAM use to do 3200mhz now it just gets the 0xc000021a error too.

The temps are cold too, currently 9 Celcius outside.

Also have a ticket with corsair to get some new cables, the cable are loose and move around inside the connectors (PCIe and CPU power cables).

*Just checked existing cables, then tried XMP 3000 even with CMOS resets and power cycles = no go.

**It does 4.5Ghz Auto low volts low temps, default ring and 2666mhz XMP (so im running this now)

Edited by GunnzAkimbo

Did anyone try the A.5 MP BIOS for the XPower yet? If so, is the Ring OC1/OC2 voltage gone for you as well? DDR OC1/OC2/OC3 are still there however.

I've tried it, indeed the Ring OC voltages are gone.

KHJqJGg.png

The RING volts was whatever the board auto sets.

Sometimes i would try 1.200 to see how stable it was, but set back everything to auto, let the board figure it out and it seemed to work stable.

Think the board may have a fault now.

Will begin a RMA, left message on MSI forums, as it now doesnt boot with XMP 3000Mhz.

And the RING is unstable even at 3200mhz (getting blue screen 0xc000021a until i set it back to auto/default)

Also the RAM use to do 3200mhz now it just gets the 0xc000021a error too.

The temps are cold too, currently 9 Celcius outside.

Also have a ticket with corsair to get some new cables, the cable are loose and move around inside the connectors (PCIe and CPU power cables).

*Just checked existing cables, then tried XMP 3000 even with CMOS resets and power cycles = no go.

**It does 4.5Ghz Auto low volts low temps, default ring and 2666mhz XMP (so im running this now)

Newer UEFI are pretty horrible for cache and memory OC.

Maybe optimized for Broadwell E? I received a Godlike mobo, might check it out too later this week

That's the only thing I can think of. In other news, testing Xpower AC the only BIOS I can clock my MFR Fury 2666 at 3200C11 on is the test versions (TC7, TC8). Even accounting for the stupid 1.80v cap, they should at least be able to boot but I get 55 on all of the production UEFI versions. 3200C12 only seems to boot on A20. Godlike Carbon won't do it at all.

Ahh, ok.

I updated the board to V1.5

Yer, maybe those other ring voltages are not there, didn't pay attention to that, gonna check now.

When using V1.3, it did everything, even the Intel RAID bios displayed at post.

V1.5 doesn't display Intel RAID at post.

Might revert back to 1.3

Will update findings with screenshots.

**after being so used to 1.3 bios, totally invisible what 1.5 misses out

***So what we need is OCRing and Intel RAID config at post.

Edited by GunnzAkimbo

1.6 for teh original Godlike for me would hang at code 95 for 2 mins and then power off at 4.4Ghz core, 4.0Ghz uncore, and 3200Mhz Ram. Went back to latest BETA BIOS for that board. Now testing out Godlike Carbon and Asus Rampage V Edition 10 board.

1.6 for teh original Godlike for me would hang at code 95 for 2 mins and then power off at 4.4Ghz core, 4.0Ghz uncore, and 3200Mhz Ram. Went back to latest BETA BIOS for that board. Now testing out Godlike Carbon and Asus Rampage V Edition 10 board.

because its missing Ring OC1 + OC2

• Crew

Which type of Mem ICs are you guys running ? E and B die clock well here on 1.5 & 1.6, but MFR is troublesome above +3250... Sticks do 3333Mhz easily elsewhere

MSI Godlike Gaming:

Bios v1.6 I encounter some stability issues with HSWE, fine for BWE

Downgraded to v1.5... better for HSWE than 1.6, though indeed no HSWE Uncore clocking due to missing Ring voltages

5960X with E DIE memory at 3400

5960X15Edie3400.jpg

6950X with E DIE

5960X15Edie3200.jpg

6950X with MFR

6950X2.jpg

Edited by Leeghoofd