HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI X99 OC & GAMING Motherboards

mr. robot

@vdelvec Your CPU seems to be not bad if you can XTU with these settings.

However, don't forget to validate your final OC with a stress test such as OCCT or Prime95 (I personally prefer the first one).

@ocvn As heavy as XTU can be, it is still "only" a benchmark and of course you will need to lower frequency or use higher vCore to pass OCCT which is a real stress test.

Anyway, there is absolutely no doubt XTU is much heavier than Cinebench R15.

I binned around 100pcs of 5960X on X99 platform under aircooling and about ~20pcs under Ln2; on all of them, Cinebench R15 can usually pass 100~150MHz higher than XTU.

Oh well. At least I can run it at 2666mhz with insanely low timings. I still get GREAT RAM benchmark speeds in AIDA with 2666 CAS14-14-14-35 1T. Maybe I could go even lower!

Pepi, please send me some of those 5960X chips so I can "bin" them too.

...you may or may not get any of them back. :-P

Also, OCCT scares me. When it fails, it starts QUACKING LIKE A DUCK. WTF is up with that? Why can't it just go BEEP or DING. Why does it all of a sudden turn into poultry?!

Edited by vdelvec

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@vdelvec Your CPU seems to be not bad if you can XTU with these settings.

However, don't forget to validate your final OC with a stress test such as OCCT or Prime95 (I personally prefer the first one).

Pepi-sama! What settings should I use in the latest OCCT build to test stability? Small Data Set or Large?

***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

MSI has unleashed an official BIOS for the X99A Godlike Gaming motherboard!

EVERYONE BE HAPPY! It is the first *OFFICIAL* BIOS release in about 8 years!!

Go download it HERE: http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING.html#support_download

It is BIOS 1.2 (OFFICIAL. NOT A BETA!!)

- Updated ME.

- Improved system stability when MSI fast boot is enabled.

- Updated BIOS code to support Broadwell-E CPU.

- Improved memory compatibility.

Edited by vdelvec

Pepi-sama! What settings should I use in the latest OCCT build to test stability? Small Data Set or Large?

Go download it HERE: http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING.html#support_download

- Updated ME.

New bios is great! DF clock I can fully stable OCCT now 4.6@1.26V which only can archive 1.28V in previous beta bios.

- Updated ME.

Use large data set in OCCT.

LoL, 1.2 MP BIOS (120) has been out for a while already.

It is older than 121-123 BETA BIOS I posted here and all of them are Official releases (only Test BIOS are not).

So far we released around one BIOS per month for that board which is not that bad I think! :P

New bios is great! DF clock I can fully stable OCCT now 4.6@1.26V which only can archive 1.28V in previous beta bios.

0.02v difference in BIOS or OS might mean nothing as voltage is probably the same between BIOS versions when measured with voltmeter.

It could also be different Loadline calibration setting under load as well. :)

Edited by pepinorang

It is older than 121-123 BETA BIOS I posted here and all of them are Official releases (only Test BIOS are not).

So far we released around one BIOS per month for that board which is not that bad I think! :P

0.02v difference in BIOS or OS might mean nothing as voltage is probably the same between BIOS versions when measured with voltmeter.

It could also be different Loadline calibration setting under load as well. :)

Broadwell-e??? So bios for pre-lease cpu which man can use with broardwell-e es cpu right?

Wait... Pepi-sama. If this 1.20 is the same as the one released on this board so long ago, then how come it has a different date listed in the BIOS and this is the first we're hearing of Broadwell-E support (which was not mentioned by anyone on this forum) and how come it was just posted on the official MSI page only 2-3 days ago and doesn't carry the 1.2B tag the BETA BIOS 1.2 did? Are you 100% positive it is the same?

And one last thing. If the 1.21 - 1.23 BIOS are official, how come MSI are not listing them on the "official" website for the Godlike motherboard? They can't possibly be THAT slow to update a simple website can they? If this is the case, they seriously need to hire more website editors so they can update the website download page faster...

Edited by vdelvec

Wait... Pepi-sama. If this 1.20 is the same as the one released on this board so long ago, then how come it has a different date listed in the BIOS and this is the first we're hearing of Broadwell-E support (which was not mentioned by anyone on this forum) and how come it was just posted on the official MSI page only 2-3 days ago and doesn't carry the 1.2B tag the BETA BIOS 1.2 did? Are you 100% positive it is the same?

And one last thing. If the 1.21 - 1.23 BIOS are official, how come MSI are not listing them on the "official" website for the Godlike motherboard? They can't possibly be THAT slow to update a simple website can they? If this is the case, they seriously need to hire more website editors so they can update the website download page faster...

Warning, dont use 120 yet. Just found problem with it. When OC >4,5 and failed, you will got multi failed and bios code 79. Need to total off system before turn on it again for OC to work???

Warning, dont use 120 yet. Just found problem with it. When OC >4,5 and failed, you will got multi failed and bios code 79. Need to total off system before turn on it again for OC to work???

I think that's normal. I don't think that's an actual BIOS problem. A lot of BIOS react that way when there's a overclock fail. Sometimes the only way to boot properly next time is a complete hard power reset or the reset CMOS/BIOS button in the back.

By the by, does overclocking the UNCORE or Ring frequency (mine is @ 4.40Ghz, the same as my CPU) really provide more performance? Oh, and by keeping the RING voltage on AUTO at that 4.4Ghz frequency, is the voltage the board provides safe for 24/7 use? Why do they call it an UNCORE? Who comes up with these silly names anyways?

Edited by vdelvec
IN FOR MA TION IS PO WER

So much emotion in that post! ^^ :D

1) I never said 120 and 121 were the same, I said BETA 121 is newer than MP 120.

2) After checking change log this was however a mistake, I got messed up by the numbers as 121 and 123 are indeed older than 120.

To clarify, BIOS releases start with MP 100, followed by BETA 111, 112, 113, 114, etc. then MP 110, followed by BETA 121, 122, 123, etc. then MP 120.

2) If you look at previous posts I don't indicate BIOS changes for each update, unless I'm asked about it, so you couldn't know about Broadwell-E, however BETA 123 support it as well.

3) Test BIOS are unofficial releases only posted at HWBOT or directly send to ocers, usually early versions that include test features for extreme overclockers that might be implemented in MP/BETA BIOS later (Like Turbo Socket extra voltages, now implemented in MP BIOS).

BETA BIOS are official releases directly sent to medias, Retailers/E-tailers/SI or end-users in case they encounter issues, all fix will be implemented in next MP BIOS.

MP BIOS are official releases posted on MSI website/Live Update.

Sorry if I lead to any misunderstanding, I hope it is all clear for you and others now. :)

Please don't be so alarmist and wait for someone to reproduce and confirm they have same problem before claiming BIOS or else has issues. You said before X99A GODLIKE GAMING had compatibility issues with Win10 and so on, but after checking with technical support they didn't receive much complaints about it so far.

Anyway, what you describe above is not normal as MB should enter failsafe mode after failed OC, but neither it is a major issue that should avoid using this BIOS version.

By the by, does overclocking the UNCORE or Ring frequency (mine is @ 4.40Ghz, the same as my CPU) really provide more performance? Oh, and by keeping the RING voltage on AUTO at that 4.4Ghz frequency, is the voltage the board provides safe for 24/7 use? Why do they call it an UNCORE? Who comes up with these silly names anyways?

Sometimes you only need to go through few past posts to find the answer ;)

I replied the safe 24/7 Ring voltage question here: http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=419168&postcount=109

I posted AUTO voltages table here: http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=419178&postcount=112

About performance it is very relative and depends of your usage type, for benchmarks it sure helps.

Edited by pepinorang

About to flash MP120.

should I skip and flash 131 instead?

Don't like beta bios really, I have much hardware installed in a server case.

Whats the changes in 131?

MP120 build date = 10/30/2015

We should list each bios build date, that would help everyones queries with whats new or old.

* MP120 bios still wont allow my 5960x to boot with 4ghz Ring using auto volts.

Still stuck with 3.6ghz ring auto. Using all auto volts and auto settings across the board, ive managed to score 10th on x265 4k benchmark http://hwbot.org/benchmark/hwbot_x265_benchmark_-_4k/

Reading above, someone OCs the ring with auto volts???????

*just noticed in MP120 it wont downclock to 12x in windows.

PS fixed it by toggling options in uefi. kinda odd.

Edited by GunnzAkimbo

Hey Pepi, ocvn, or anyone else who knows a lot about overclocking...

Is this any good? http://valid.x86.fr/263hh5

MSI Godlike Gaming BIOS 1.2(B3) [1.23]

4.4Ghz Core @ 1.199v

4.4Ghz Uncore @ Auto

Everything else @ Auto

G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 2666Mhz @ CL-14-14-14-35 1T

67c @ Max Load Using XTU

how are you achieving boot up with 4.4Ring auto volts?

Mine just will not post above 3.6 Ring. I do auto everything too.

About to flash MP120.

should I skip and flash 131 instead?

Don't like beta bios really, I have much hardware installed in a server case.

Whats the changes in 131?

MP120 build date = 10/30/2015

We should list each bios build date, that would help everyones queries with whats new or old.

* MP120 bios still wont allow my 5960x to boot with 4ghz Ring using auto volts.

Still stuck with 3.6ghz ring auto. Using all auto volts and auto settings across the board, ive managed to score 10th on x265 4k benchmark http://hwbot.org/benchmark/hwbot_x265_benchmark_-_4k/

Reading above, someone OCs the ring with auto volts???????

*just noticed in MP120 it wont downclock to 12x in windows.

PS fixed it by toggling options in uefi. kinda odd.

You can stick to MP BIOS unless you have issues.

If you modified CPU ratio it will change to "fixed mode" and disable EIST/Turbo Boost at same time, nothing odd.

As mentioned on first page, BIOS are ranked "from older (top) to newer (bottom)", I think it is clear enough.

Did you ever boot 4GHz ring AUTO on any BIOS yet?

If not then it probably mean you need to manually fine tune voltages.

Edited by pepinorang

Could be your CPU is a potato...

Or... perhaps it could be your motherboard isn't working exactly as mine. Remember that even though all these parts use the same chips, all chips and traces and PCBs won't perform 100% alike.

So, anybody know what the changes are in Godlike BIOS 131?

Edited by vdelvec

If you modified CPU ratio it will change to "fixed mode" and disable EIST/Turbo Boost at same time, nothing odd.

As mentioned on first page, BIOS are ranked "from older (top) to newer (bottom)", I think it is clear enough.

Please check with new 131 bios bro. It change the bios UEFI but with 64GB and quad sli, the bios warning like: PCI out of resources condition and hang....

On all bios installed so far, none have gone above 3.6 ring auto volts.

Tried 3.7 auto - no post

tried 4.0 auto - no post

and this new bios tried 4.4 auto - no post.

Could be your CPU is a potato...

Or... perhaps it could be your motherboard isn't working exactly as mine. Remember that even though all these parts use the same chips, all chips and traces and PCBs won't perform 100% alike.

So, anybody know what the changes are in Godlike BIOS 131?

I think there are 2 revisions of the board.

It's not a potato, boots into desktop 4.6G auto volts, just Ring settings will not go above 3.6 auto volts.

Edited by GunnzAkimbo

I had the same problem. I'm at 4.2 now. I used 1.280v on core/ring voltage and 1.45v on ring OC2. That got me to 4.2 cache. That's where I'm stuck. I left Ring OC1 on auto.

OK, i'll try that next.

Just 4G ring is enough, yet it can't even auto config that.

Your under the Auto volt table for Ring but equal on Ring OC2.

Just tried 4ghz cpu 4ghz ring 3200 memory

1.250 cpu

1.250 ring

1.400 ring oc2

No post. had to turn psu off and clear cmos to get it booting again.

Surely that's enough juice?

Are these values agreeable?

1.3V - Vcore/CPU voltage (1.0V)

1.3V - Uncore/Cache voltage (1.0V)

1.9V - VCCIN/VRIN/CPU input voltage (1.8V)

1.2V - VCCSA/System agent voltage (0.8V)

Heres mine at defaults after clear cmos:

Edited by GunnzAkimbo