HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI X99 OC & GAMING Motherboards

mr. robot

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does MSI X99A MPOWER support ring overclokcikg ?

Please look at the first page of this thread.

All models which include MSI proprietary LGA 2036 Turbo Socket are listed.

X99A MPOWER is not one of them which means it will overclock Ring up to 3.7-3.8G max depending of CPU quality.

Edited by pepinorang

@pepi: Do you happen to know whether there is anything new regarding the Ring OC issue when not using AUTO for ring voltage? Seems like anything higher than Ring ratio 36 only works when using auto volts, manually fixing them (to the same value as AUTO suggests) results in a bootloop which can only be fixed by CMOS reset.

Haven't tried it on the A31 beta that's floating around in the MSI forum though.

@pepi: Do you happen to know whether there is anything new regarding the Ring OC issue when not using AUTO for ring voltage? Seems like anything higher than Ring ratio 36 only works when using auto volts, manually fixing them (to the same value as AUTO suggests) results in a bootloop which can only be fixed by CMOS reset.

Haven't tried it on the A31 beta that's floating around in the MSI forum though.

I reported to BIOS team but not sure they looked into it yet.

Let me check this and get back to you asap.

Edited by pepinorang

Please look at the first page of this thread.

All models which include MSI proprietary LGA 2036 Turbo Socket are listed.

X99A MPOWER is not one of them which means it will overclock Ring up to 3.7-3.8G max depending of CPU quality.

According to MSi the turbo socket is not active, until intel release the new processor. i hive try to mod the bios to activate the extra voltage setting in the bios, but didn’t work. I have confirmed this with TI developer MSI. Only the new MSI godlike carbon board has it active with new bios. A new bios will be release for msi godlike 1.24? that will update new processor code and unlock all voltage.

Now this has been confirm from china. Gigabyte and Asus are in the same status. X99 will be around for some time, Which is good new. Asus is releasing a new X99 board with (2) onboard M.2 Msata ports “Rampage Vi Extreme X99i†and with EK water block, just like the ROG maximus Vll formula. Gigabyte is also working on they New X99 Extreme gaming Board. Now the Question is how would this processor work with a non-turbo socket would it make a difference.

According to MSi the turbo socket is not active, until intel release the new processor. i hive try to mod the bios to activate the extra voltage setting in the bios, but didn’t work. I have confirmed this with TI developer MSI. Only the new MSI godlike carbon board has it active with new bios. A new bios will be release for msi godlike 1.24? that will update new processor code and unlock all voltage.

Now this has been confirm from china. Gigabyte and Asus are in the same status. X99 will be around for some time, Which is good new. Asus is releasing a new X99 board with (2) onboard M.2 Msata ports “Rampage Vi Extreme X99i†and with EK water block, just like the ROG maximus Vll formula. Gigabyte is also working on they New X99 Extreme gaming Board. Now the Question is how would this processor work with a non-turbo socket would it make a difference.

I'm curious to know who at MSI told you that, as this person clearly don't know what he (or she) is talking about.

MSI proprietary LGA2036 Turbo socket is available and active on X99A GODLIKE GAMING, X99A GODLIKE CARBON, X99A XPOWER AC and X99A GAMING 9 ACK.

MSI currently does not produce any other model that include Turbo Socket.

The LGA2036 Turbo socket provide extra voltages (Ring OC1/OC2, DDR OC1/2/3) for Haswell-E CPUs that allow to overclock Ring above ~3.8GHz and improve memory overclocking.

Turbo socket has nothing to do with Broadwell-E CPUs and don't help OC on current ES samples.

Broadwell-E will be fully supported by current X99 motherboards and new upcoming X99 boards such as the X99A GODLIKE CARBON won't bring any improvement in terms of OC.

P.S: I'm from MSI Headquarters in Taiwan and all info above come from our R&D.

Edited by pepinorang

I clearly understand.

So why is it when you change OC1, OC2, OC3. it make no difference on overclocking, i mean don't get wrong it makes a difference but it limited. i can easy overclock 4.5 with making anychange to OC1,OC2,OC3. Like right now I'm OC to 4.4/1.250v mem 3200mhz and secon profile to 4.5/1.285v 3200mhz for gaming. would like to learn more about the extra voltage setting if they can use...is it true that x99 chipset are hard to overclock?

I'm curious to know who at MSI told you that, as this person clearly don't know what he (or she) is talking about.

MSI proprietary LGA2036 Turbo socket is available and active on X99A GODLIKE GAMING, X99A GODLIKE CARBON, X99A XPOWER AC and X99A GAMING 9 ACK.

MSI currently does not produce any other model that include Turbo Socket.

The LGA2036 Turbo socket provide extra voltages (Ring OC1/OC2, DDR OC1/2/3) for Haswell-E CPUs that allow to overclock Ring above ~3.8GHz and improve memory overclocking.

Turbo socket has nothing to do with Broadwell-E CPUs and don't help OC on current ES samples.

Broadwell-E will be fully supported by current X99 motherboards and new upcoming X99 boards such as the X99A GODLIKE CARBON won't bring any improvement in terms of OC.

P.S: I'm from MSI Headquarters in Taiwan and all info above come from our R&D.

Hello pepinorang,

i'm new to MSI with the godlike. Switched from RVE and need more information

about these Voltages: Ring OC1/OC2, DDR OC1/2/3.

Which CPU-Part feed they and which stock voltages have they?

On the RVE they don't exits or don't shown in UEFI.

On the RVE i needed for 4Ghz Ring 1.1V. Can i expect similiar voltage with the godlike?

Thanks

Edited by MiHi76

Hello pepinorang,

On the RVE i needed for 4Ghz Ring 1.1V. Can i expect similiar voltage with the godlike?

Thanks

I just have to raise the Ring OC2 to 1.49V and then use the normal voltage for ring. No other voltages changed for ring overclocking. But you have to see how much your ring needs.

On my XPower the ring went one step further than on R5E. ;)

For memory OC just enable 'Enhance memory controller' and the board will do the rest.

I just have to raise the Ring OC2 to 1.49V and then use the normal voltage for ring. No other voltages changed for ring overclocking. But you have to see how much your ring needs.

On my XPower the ring went one step further than on R5E. ;)

For memory OC just enable 'Enhance memory controller' and the board will do the rest.

I've started with 1.1 V Ring /1.35V OC2 / 4GHz with success. System starts and survives

XTU-Benchmark. Next i will try to lower OC2. Do you use 1.49 for 24/7. Sounds very high?

Ahh, thats's the Job from Enhance memory controller. Thanks.

I reported to BIOS team but not sure they looked into it yet.

Let me check this and get back to you asap.

Additional info! It seems to be linked to having Ring OC2 on AUTO.

Setting VRing and Ring OC2 manually, everything works as expected as long as voltage is high enough obviously.

Setting VRing manually while OC2 is on AUTO, the system very likely runs into a bootloop and needs a CMOS reset.

Setting Vring and OC2 on AUTO works, but potentially sets higher Ring volts than what is actually needed for stable operation.

I played around with VRing and Ring OC2.

Finally i stopped AIDA cache only test after 1 hour with 1.1 V Ring an 1.1 V OC2. Don't tried to lower it further.

I think that can be a settup for 24/7.

I found out that my previous RAM setting is not stable at the godlike.

Where is the trick on the godlike for tighter clocks?

I clearly understand.

So why is it when you change OC1, OC2, OC3. it make no difference on overclocking, i mean don't get wrong it makes a difference but it limited. i can easy overclock 4.5 with making anychange to OC1,OC2,OC3. Like right now I'm OC to 4.4/1.250v mem 3200mhz and secon profile to 4.5/1.285v 3200mhz for gaming. would like to learn more about the extra voltage setting if they can use...is it true that x99 chipset are hard to overclock?

The purpose of LGA2036 Turbo Socket (as well as any other "special" X99 socket design) is not to help Core OC, but only to help Ring OC!

LGA2036 Turbo Socket DOES make a difference in Ring OC only.

For instance, motherboards without Turbo Socket cannot overclock Ring past 3.7~3.8GHz while motherboards with Turbo Socket can go up to +4.5G on air/+5.2G on Ln2.

hey

Dose anyone no to how get MSi command center to hold a profile setting. when save a profile for temp control it keep resetting back to default.

i'm using cpu1 header to control my ek d5 pump. but it reset back default when i reboot the system.

If you setup a fan profile from Command Center, it can only be loaded in OS when software is launched.

To setup a fan profile that would be applied at all time, you need to make it through Hardware Monitor in BIOS.

Edited by pepinorang

Hello pepinorang,

Thanks

Those voltages exists on every X99 with "special socket" design but are named differently from vendor to vendor. ;)

Ring OC1/2 help with Ring OC, while DDR OC1/2/3 help with memory OC.

For Ring OC, you only need to take care of vRing and Ring OC2 voltage.

You don't need to change Ring OC1, AUTO will work fine as this voltage don't help past 0.95v.

To improve stability at or above DDR4-3200 and/or for memory high frequency validations, just enable the "Enhanced Memory Controler" option in the BIOS, it will auto-adjust DDR OC1/2/3 for you (more volts don't seem to help).

Below is the BIOS auto-rule for Ring OC that I had posted 3-4 pages ago in this thread, it might help you.

FYI, up to 1.45v 24/7 has been fine for me since Haswell-E launch until now, you would be surprised to know how high some other boards auto-set these "special socket" voltages! ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=3530&d=1448349323

I found out that my previous RAM setting is not stable at the godlike.

Where is the trick on the godlike for tighter clocks?

What ram, what settings? Too little info to help you here. :)

Those voltages exists on every X99 with "special socket" design but are named differently from vendor to vendor. ;)

You don't need to change Ring OC1, AUTO will work fine as this voltage don't help past 0.95v.

To improve stability at or above DDR4-3200 and/or for memory high frequency validations, just enable the "Enhanced Memory Controler" option in the BIOS, it will auto-adjust DDR OC1/2/3 for you (more volts don't seem to help).

Below is the BIOS auto-rule for Ring OC that I had posted 3-4 pages ago in this thread, it might help you.

FYI, up to 1.45v 24/7 has been fine for me since Haswell-E launch until now, you would be surprised to know how high some other boards auto-set these "special socket" voltages! ;)

Hello,

i have had [Ripjaws 4] F4-2800C16Q-32GRK @2666-13-14-14-34-1T-1,3V running on the RVE, but on the Godlike that setup doesn't work.

I've had to untighten the timings to be stable. Don't tested much till yet, only worked on core and cache.

More DRAM Volts or something else?

Edited by MiHi76

Hello,

i have had [Ripjaws 4] F4-2800C16Q-32GRK @2666-13-14-14-34-1T-1,3V running on the RVE, but on the Godlike that setup doesn't work.

I've had to untighten the timings to be stable. Don't tested much till yet, only worked on core and cache.

You might also want to try updating your Godlike board to the newest release BIOS and if that still doesn't work, update it to the latest BETA BIOS which is 1.31 as of this writing. That 1.31 BIOS has been rock stable for me and cleared up basically ALL of my RAM problems w/ my GSkill kits.

Heya Pepi,

Currently my Godlike has set my ring voltage to 1.4490v @ a 4.4ghz ring speed, Is this a safe voltage to run? It seems a bit high and the BIOS also flags the number in red text (probably because it thinks its too high?). I just want to know if this will fry my chip or am I doing okay with these numbers?

Ring Ratio is @ 44

VCCIN is @ 1.8990

CPU Core Voltage is @ 1.1990

Ring Voltage is @ 1.4490

CPU VCCIO Voltage is @ 1.1500

Also, what's this setting about SA Offset, etc.?

The purpose of LGA2036 Turbo Socket (as well as any other "special" X99 socket design) is not to help Core OC, but only to help Ring OC!

LGA2036 Turbo Socket DOES make a difference in Ring OC only.

For instance, motherboards without Turbo Socket cannot overclock Ring past 3.7~3.8GHz while motherboards with Turbo Socket can go up to +4.5G on air/+5.2G on Ln2.

If you setup a fan profile from Command Center, it can only be loaded in OS when software is launched.

To setup a fan profile that would be applied at all time, you need to make it through Hardware Monitor in BIOS.

thanks

Heya Pepi,

Currently my Godlike has set my ring voltage to 1.4490v @ a 4.4ghz ring speed, Is this a safe voltage to run? It seems a bit high and the BIOS also flags the number in red text (probably because it thinks its too high?). I just want to know if this will fry my chip or am I doing okay with these numbers?

Ring Ratio is @ 44

VCCIN is @ 1.8990

CPU Core Voltage is @ 1.1990

Ring Voltage is @ 1.4490

CPU VCCIO Voltage is @ 1.1500

Also, what's this setting about SA Offset, etc.?

What do you mean about "SA Offset"?

You already asked similar question about Ring voltage:

By the by, does overclocking the UNCORE or Ring frequency (mine is @ 4.40Ghz, the same as my CPU) really provide more performance? Oh, and by keeping the RING voltage on AUTO at that 4.4Ghz frequency, is the voltage the board provides safe for 24/7 use? Why do they call it an UNCORE? Who comes up with these silly names anyways?

And I already answered ;) :

Sometimes you only need to go through few past posts to find the answer ;)

I replied the safe 24/7 Ring voltage question here: http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=419168&postcount=109

I posted AUTO voltages table here: http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=419178&postcount=112

About performance it is very relative and depends of your usage type, for benchmarks it sure helps.

Hello,

First try to keep your settings as it was and increase SA/IO up to 1.35v.

Also enable BIOS option "Enhanced Memory Controler" and see what happens.

As vdelvec mentioned, try to flash latest MP BIOS available (120) or latest BETA BIOS (131).