HWBOT Community Forums

kotori - Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego @ 2800.6MHz - 28sec 485ms SuperPi - 1M

Strunkenbold

Yes, 2x512 is faster, since it is double-sided and although 256MB BH-5 sticks usually have chips on both sides of the PCB, they are actually SS/single-bank.

For maximum performance on s.939 you'd want 512MB sticks as long as they are good enough. 256's are a little easier to overclock though.

For s.A 256MB sticks are mandatory, since NF2 chipset does not like DS ram and you can go much higher in FSB this way. And as we know, FSB on s.A correlates directly with performance, or the so called "efficiency" :D

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

It was pretty hard to make any of my kits (2x256 and 2x512) work at 280. Perhaps it is the IMC or the board.

278 - OK, but 2MHz more and have troubles.

I have several Corsairs (3200C2 and 3500C2), Mushkin - Level II, Special 222, OCZ VX.

My best are one of the Level II, but still hard to run at 280 and it seems memory is not holding me back, since voltage does not help. Two of the Corsair 2x512MB are pretty good and also 2-3 kits of the 2x256. Maybe I can bin individual sticks and make better combination.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

@Infrared - I suspect IMC, I played last weekend with San Diego 4000+ that clocked well (suicide above 3200 air/3500 SS), but was a poor mem clocker, was able to boot 2x256 Corsairs 3200C2 @280 and even run 1M, but did 265 stable @3.6 and no voltage bump improved stable OC. It also couldn't run 2x512 above 260 and I have 2 tested kits that are able of that; also after freezing the CPU could barely hold mems @250. Time to swap CPUs, I guess.

Waiting for someone to pull 311 0-2-2-1.5 and break 28 secs.

I will definitely try LN2, but not now. Will have to test some different CPUs and hook up the chiller on the CPU to see if it makes any difference.

@TASOS: ~3.7V, but they've seen 4V before. I tried up to 3.9 now, but didn't help on any of the sticks, so I suspect CPU/board.