HWBOT Community Forums

The official Old School is Best School Round 3 thread.

RomanLV

Dunno about cpuz.

Discussions have not seen. The reason I ask - not all know how to distinguish EDO and FPM (or pretend they do not know;)). And if the program does not distinguish - people will start sending everything.

PS Memory modules are visually identical and differ only in the markings of chips (AFAIK). And there are motherboards that work with any modules.

There's also the problem with some like myself having trouble with CPU-Z not working with a Socket A to get a validation.

To this day the newer versions will not work for me, locks up the system everytime.

Same problem :) just got done pming Mr scott to see if he knew what was going on

What I am doing is once windows loads open cpu-z once if you can then I open Maxxmem let that load then open cpu-z again then I am running what ever bench with both cpu-z tab open

Lost some good scores because of this :(

Same problem :) just got done pming Mr scott to see if he knew what was going on

What I am doing is once windows loads open cpu-z once if you can then I open Maxxmem let that load then open cpu-z again then I am running what ever bench with both cpu-z tab open

Lost some good scores because of this :(

Using anything on USB by any chance?

I honestly can't tell you why.

I don't have that problem. Never did.

Best guess is that it's something you guys are stripping out of your OS.

So far it's done it whether I'm running a stripped OS or not with every Socket A setup to my name.

Haven't paid much attention to a USB device in use being a possible culprit but since I'm currently installing a stock/nonstripped OS on an A, I'll see what happens.

I don't use USB periphials whenever it's possible to run PS2 with both a keyboard and mouse so I doubt I had one in use in the past with these issues BUT I'll be sure of it this time.

Can you test older versions of cpuz ?

Already done and version 1.60 and newer will lock things up. From 1.59 and older works no prob and note that this is the point when CPU-Z began to be shown as X32 or X64 versions instead of just plain old CPU-Z.

I don't know how things were changed in it but these changes are the obvious culprit here.

• 2 weeks later...
Then I have to ask again for clarification since I cannot figure out from what I red before...

We use FPM or EDO ram or both of them?

FPM has 30pin

EDO has 72pin

See picture attached.

We should clarify this...

If I'm not mistaken, there is FPM on some 168 pin SD pcb's also.

If I'm not mistaken, there is FPM on some 168 pin SD pcb's also.

There are 72 pin with FPMs also, as there is EDO on 30 pin. FPM is just a technique. Never heard of FPM on 168 pin though.

I think they should've picked a specific number of pins instead of a type of chip as this is very hard to distinguish.

• Crew
So far it's done it whether I'm running a stripped OS or not with every Socket A setup to my name.

I set my maxmem to 104 and I was affected by the same issue. Never had the same on any other platform and I tested many!

Really strange, but it hardlocks the PC, will investigate further.

Ok maxmem 200 and 250 also doesnt work, but 270 does!

The picture is not quite correct. As Marquzz said it has only something to do with the used chips.

If there is 00 at the end of the chip its FPM. 05 and 09 is EDO. If unsure, google the datasheet.

Then you mean that:

My 30pin Siemens HYM91000S-60 are FPMs

&

My 72pin VM432117405CJSA-6 are EDOs

Correct?

There are 72 pin with FPMs also, as there is EDO on 30 pin. FPM is just a technique. Never heard of FPM on 168 pin though.

I think they should've picked a specific number of pins instead of a type of chip as this is very hard to distinguish.

Pic of FPM on 168 pin sticks. These are Mr.Pacos. Finding a board that runs them is another story.