HWBOT Community Forums

What mainboard for overclocking my Core i7 980X? Here are some charts to help!

Massman

Might it be fair to say that those results sdont tell air/water users much at all?

I mean, the three best boards in there rate pretty poorly in those "results" and its likely because the people benching them are the extreme OC'ers who dont submit air/water results.

That's one of the variables that come into play.

It is a fact that extreme overclockers tend to just submit their highest submissions that get points and don't submit, for instance, test runs (although it's those test results that provide interesting data). I hope this will change with the incentive the hardware library feature will provide in rev4.

• Crew
More of this in Rev4 ;)

rev 4 seems to be so good ;)

according to charts, Xpower is the best mobo on dice cooling?

can you explain it dear pieter?

charts are based on average mhz, so at this case i think amount of xpower results (on dice) is more and better than R3E and UD9?

rev 4 seems to be so good ;)

according to charts, Xpower is the best mobo on dice cooling?

can you explain it dear pieter?

charts are based on average mhz, so at this case i think amount of xpower results (on dice) is more and better than R3E and UD9?

You need to use the future tense; Rev4 is not in progress yet.

Above figures are a very rough estimation of the OC capabilities; certainly not a good estimation of what you will get from your setup. For more accurate numbers, I'd have to variance and distribution.

There are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Statistics don't claim any truth; people do. Statistics just provides numbers.

on your bar graph...can you insert "highest speed" for example? wish we could determine which is of es cpu and which is not..coz that alters the results.

lots of submission are coz of lazy overclocks...and thereby reducing averages...

I think the OC charts of the VGA are now based on 'highest per user', which basically eliminates the 'lazy clocks'. That's how this type of graphs will also be in Rev4.

I gotta say it - these charts in no way help people to decide which motherboard to use for 980x overclocking

"Any high-end board will do just fine - choose the one with the nicest colors".

In the end, much rather than 'quality components' is how familiar you are with the bios and boot/crash symptoms. ASUS reacts differently from GIGABYTE and MSI; some people will be better on the R3E, some better on the UD9, some even on the XPower.

In the end, there's no such thing as "the best board". Overall, I think that's basically what these charts show us.

what frequencies do people generally report for 06 and vantage, the CPU test or 3D test clocks for their screens?

I have no idea; probably depends on the benchmark. 06 ends with GPU test, so probably GPU clocks. V ends with CPU test, so probably CPU clocks.