HWBOT Community Forums

The official ROG OC Showdown Formula Series Round 2 thread.

bbaxter18

Thanks Massman for the answers .

is it allowed to disable cores/threads and use 47xxk in stage 3 ? Thx

For Stage 3, the score will always be divided by the default amount of cores.

I have a stupid question -- how do I force GPUPI to use only 2 cores? Sorry, I'm such a rookie, but I'm baffled. lol

You can disable cores from the BIOS. Which motherboard do you have?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure mathematics. Read on...

The competition should be only for four core processors ( 4770K - 4790K ).

Since stage 2 and 3 results are divided per core, please make a simple calculation ( especially for stage 3 ).

In order to achieve in stage 3 a score with a 5960X, comparable with a 4790K, you have to run the 5960X over 6ghz.

Can this be done ?

NO. Not even with LN2.

Can you run a 4790K at 5100 with a good water setup ?

EASY.

Who wins in stage 3 ?

4790K.

Case closed.

Stage 2.

Divided per core CPUPI 1B. Cool.

Try to run a 4790K at 5ghz and a 5960X at 5ghz with 2 threads.

Case closed also.

Please rename the competition to " ....for four core processors ONLY "

Stage 3 hwbotprime is the best is g3258 5,3ghz :)

Guest george.kokovinis
Stage 3 hwbotprime is the best is g3258 5,3ghz :)

Exactly dude.

Strange way HWBOT has of imposing the competition's rules or

competition names...

Same applies to Novice Nimble competitions.

I warned in a very friendly way Massman that the lack of point rewarding

per user will make participants lose interest.

Kaboom !

My team's novice players immediately stayed out of Novice Nimble 3.

Anyway, I do not make the rules, but I am starting to understand why one after the other members ( and old and strong members indeed ), quit.

Anyway, it is a ballgame where take it or leave it applies, so I will personally continue benching because I like it for myself but I will not participate in competitions again.

My 2 cents for whatever they are worth ( possibly nothing ).:celebration:

Guest george.kokovinis

One more thing.

What is this per core thing ?

Even a XEON E5-2699-V3 ( 18 cores-36 threads ) performs worse than

a g3258 with one core.

LMAO.

I own a workstation with two E5-2699-V3 processors, 256gb of ram and four Samsung 850 in raid 0.

For the hell of it, I ran a GPUPI-1B last night on it with two threads ( out of 72 threads in total ) and I am ashamed to say what the result was.

Oh my...

@george.kokovinis: Per core is to level the playing field a little bit, because not all of us can afford 2 E5's and 256GB worth of ram. G3258 is a dual core, and trust me you would kick its ass all day in XTU. But when it comes to reading ram at CL9, and a clock speed above 5Ghz , its a decent little chip. Competing isn't about who can buy the best stuff its about surpassing what everyone else does with what they are given. Continue benching, I encourage it, but don't expect to be able to BUY a win in a competition here. We come here to compete for first, not for second because somebody else has more money.

• Administrators
@nvidiaforever2 : That is what everyone else in the competition has done so far, either through bios or CPU affinity in task manager.

Only bios... - if you only set affinity at taskmanager you will still have cpuz show more than two cores and these will also be used by hwbot prime, gpupi or whatever multi-core thread you run :) - so please set core count to "2"in bios and disable HT if your cpu has Hyperthreading ability

Edited by websmile

Guest george.kokovinis
@george.kokovinis: Per core is to level the playing field a little bit, because not all of us can afford 2 E5's and 256GB worth of ram. G3258 is a dual core, and trust me you would kick its ass all day in XTU. But when it comes to reading ram at CL9, and a clock speed above 5Ghz , its a decent little chip. Competing isn't about who can buy the best stuff its about surpassing what everyone else does with what they are given. Continue benching, I encourage it, but don't expect to be able to BUY a win in a competition here. We come here to compete for first, not for second because somebody else has more money.

My first suggestion is to keep the tones down and be calm.

My second suggestion is to think twice before speaking, moreover before writing.

Being polite might give you some advantage in life.

Being rude is incorrect.

To the point.

No one is trying to buy a competition.

But, when you are speaking of leveling out, I have a very simple technical question to ask.

How easy is it to run a G3258 or a 4790K at 5ghz and how difficult is it for a 5960X or a 5820K or a 5930K.

Second technical question.

Are you aware, because since I own from a G3258 up to whatever you can think off and I have benched the hell out of them all, that in order to produce the exact same result with two threads in GPUPI with a 4790K and 5960X, you have to run 4790K ( two threads ) at 5Ghz ( easy ) and 5960X ( two threads ) at 5.5ghz ( impossible without LN2 ).

Now, where is the leveling out ???

It is even more ridiculous, since I have been provoked of BUYING results, of the way the competition is constructed.

Enter CPU load temperature MANUALLY.

Who can check that ?

How ?

For example :

I have a 4790K.

And I submit a result with the cpu tuned at 5.3ghz-5.4ghz.

Achievable with :

1) A very good 4790K with a strong water loop

2) An average cpu with a chiller

3) Any cpu with a single stage phase change.

And writing down the temperatures I like manually. LMAO.

Kaboom.

These things are extremely far from being serious.

If you consider all the above as reasons of an OBJECTIVE competition, cool.

I do not.

The owners of HWBOT and OC-Esports should and can find alternative solutions to avoid misinterpretation of results, tips, tricks, and other nice stuff.

With respect to all, despite the provocative insult.

Only bios... - if you only set affinity at taskmanager you will still have cpuz show more than two cores and these will also be used by hwbot prime, gpupi or whatever multi-core thread you run :) - so please set core count to "2"in bios and disable HT if your cpu has Hyperthreading ability

Yeah, I tried setting affinity in taskmanager, but when it didn't work that's when I got confused. Not sure why it didn't occur to me to disable cores in the bios, rookie mistake I'm sure. lol Thanks websmile, bbaxter, & massman! :)

My first suggestion is to keep the tones down and be calm.

My second suggestion is to think twice before speaking, moreover before writing.

Being polite might give you some advantage in life.

Being rude is incorrect.

To the point.

No one is trying to buy a competition.

But, when you are speaking of leveling out, I have a very simple technical question to ask.

How easy is it to run a G3258 or a 4790K at 5ghz and how difficult is it for a 5960X or a 5820K or a 5930K.

Second technical question.

Are you aware, because since I own from a G3258 up to whatever you can think off and I have benched the hell out of them all, that in order to produce the exact same result with two threads in GPUPI with a 4790K and 5960X, you have to run 4790K ( two threads ) at 5Ghz ( easy ) and 5960X ( two threads ) at 5.5ghz ( impossible without LN2 ).

Now, where is the leveling out ???

It is even more ridiculous, since I have been provoked of BUYING results, of the way the competition is constructed.

Enter CPU load temperature MANUALLY.

Who can check that ?

How ?

For example :

I have a 4790K.

And I submit a result with the cpu tuned at 5.3ghz-5.4ghz.

Achievable with :

1) A very good 4790K with a strong water loop

2) An average cpu with a chiller

3) Any cpu with a single stage phase change.

And writing down the temperatures I like manually. LMAO.

Kaboom.

These things are extremely far from being serious.

If you consider all the above as reasons of an OBJECTIVE competition, cool.

I do not.

The owners of HWBOT and OC-Esports should and can find alternative solutions to avoid misinterpretation of results, tips, tricks, and other nice stuff.

With respect to all, despite the provocative insult.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2899298 hwmonitor

http://hwbot.org/submission/2899590 hwmonitor

http://hwbot.org/submission/2901620 hwmonitor

Guest george.kokovinis

I agree 110%.

This is the correct way.

This should be obligatory and not writing down temperatures in a form

MANUALLY the way anyone likes.

I agree with you buddy full hearted.

In my submissions I have attached in the verification image a Core temp

monitor, which also records minimum and maximum temperatures.

I insist though that either your solution or mine ARE NOT IN THE RULES.

We have to accept what everyone writes manually in the submission form.:celebration:

We added an extra rule asking for sufficient verification for the CPU temperature using, for example, HWmonitor.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. We try to make competitions as accessible as possible for as many people as possible. It's not easy to make everyone happy and sometimes the competition rules are more friendly towards one type of system than the other. The most important is to have fun! :)

Guest george.kokovinis
We added an extra rule asking for sufficient verification for the CPU temperature using, for example, HWmonitor.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. We try to make competitions as accessible as possible for as many people as possible. It's not easy to make everyone happy and sometimes the competition rules are more friendly towards one type of system than the other. The most important is to have fun! :)

Never too late to improve :)

For stage 1 a screenshot with xtu temperature monitoring is ok ?

For stage 2 and 3 realtemp ok ?

Edited by nvidiaforever2

http://hwbot.org/submission/2902510

cores 2 threads 4

Hey guys, just wanted to say im sorry about going off the way i did the other day, it's just a competition. But im chiming in to let you guys know that i am going to clean up my runs hopefully tonight, when I was browsing through them i noticed that some of my screenshots weren't to spec. Thanks guys and Good luck.

What do you mean by sharing hardware?

This hardware is of my property

i may have misunderstood hardware sharing when i read through it the first time. i understood that it was not using 2 diffrent cpus, in the same platform to perform better in the benchmarks. rereading i now see that it is borrowing hardware to use in a platform for benchmarks that is not approved. im sorry, that was my bad.

Hello. I found something.

RealTemp, CoreTemp, etc. must be disabled.

This software has the option calibration sensor.

You can set the high value of the offset. And bench on extreme devices (SS, chiller, etc.).

CPUID HWMonitor - does not have calibration options. Only it should be allowed.

Hello. I found something.

RealTemp, CoreTemp, etc. must be disabled.

This software has the option calibration sensor.

You can set the high value of the offset. And bench on extreme devices (SS, chiller, etc.).

CPUID HWMonitor - does not have calibration options. Only it should be allowed.

Thanks for the information! I will add this to the rules.