HWBOT Community Forums

The official MSI Godlike OC Tournament: Ambient 3D Battle thread.

Noxinite

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Yes, same wallpapers, as there are no new ones and comp already started

Important info for contestants

IGP means the integrated graphics unit of the cpu - you are not allowed to use a discrete vga like some have for the start

Link for definition of different vga types here

• Administrators

After a question about Broadwell, it is not allowed and rules will be clarified, on HWMonitor - launch only after benchmark is enough, idle temps will be lower than load anyway, at least I accepted this for 2D and will not change for 3D

P.S. please do not forget CPUZ spd tab and make sure it displays info - I had to remove some scores from 2d battle because of this and I am not happy about it, the contestants lost their results due to sloppy rule reading

Edited by websmile

Guest george.kokovinis

Raule009,

Native Intel drivers for IGP are not recognized by 3DMark, whatever the version of the drivers.

Unfortunately, there is no solution to that.

FutureMark replied to a personal question I sent them.

" We never thought that someone would run our benchmarks with IGP. We do not have a solution".

So, whatever suits you best.

Guest george.kokovinis

Folks, it seems ( for the moment ) that only Raule can bench with IGP.

It is like a car race, where you finish first while running alone.

LMAO !!!

Oh my, I love those competitions.

Raule009,

Native Intel drivers for IGP are not recognized by 3DMark, whatever the version of the drivers.

Unfortunately, there is no solution to that.

FutureMark replied to a personal question I sent them.

" We never thought that someone would run our benchmarks with IGP. We do not have a solution".

So, whatever suits you best.

Guest george.kokovinis
other competitors are waiting until the last minute

I most sincerely hope so man.

I will not bench anymore in this competition, although I know

VERY WELL how to make IGP "fly" ( way of speaking "fly" ).

In my humble opinion it was not the best choice for 3D to compete with

IGP.

I had noted that.

Organizers of the competition, should reconsider for the future.

In 2D we can use any board from MSI, any processor from Intel.

You know very well that the best combination in 2D was :

1) XTU - Good ( 5ghz ) 5930K

2) HWbotprime - Good ( 5.1-5.2ghz ) G3258

3) Geekbench - Very good ( 5.2+ghz ) 4790K

These require also two boards.

Z97 Mpower

X99A Xpower or Gaming 9

Cost is in excess of 1800$.

And the cost was the problem in 3D.

When ALL Intel processors are allowed in 2D ( correct ), what is

the change of spirit in 3D.

No drivers, no utilities in windows for overclocking.

So it is actually a motherboard competition and a processor completion,

since IGP is integrated in the cpu.

Get in windows and you are lost.

The guy I talked to in FutureMark, raised an eyebrow when I asked

how to bench Firestrike with IGP.

Anyway, even the best are humans, but they must learn from incorrect

decisions.:)

:celebration:

I'm trying my best to learn on how to improve IGP preformance don't really have any knowledge other then what most electronic stores will tell you about IGP vs dedicated GPUs to get you to spend more if you don't know anything about computers

I'm no IGP expert, but I might have some advice for you :)

IGP tuning is actually pretty straightforward, maximise its IGP clock, and memory performance matters a LOT(especially in AMD's IGP).

1) For Intel's IGP solution, for example HD 4600 found in i7 Haswell, the frequency of the IGP is found on the 'GT Ratio' on MSI's motherboard, this is a 'multiplier', and you get IGP Frequency from this formula:

IGP Frequency = GT Ratio * (BCLK/2)

So basically on 100Mhz BCLK, every 1 GT ratio increase will give you 50Mhz more IGP Frequency.

The one voltage that's responsible for the IGP is the GT Voltage (IGP Volt or Vaxg in some mobo). You can really push the IGP volts, 1.35-1.4V is quite safe for this and will give around 1550-1600Mhz IGP frequency or more. Got a better cooling and you can crank this up ;)

2)After finding your maximum GT ratio for 3D benchmarks, time to maximise performance from your memory system, if you can do 2800CL9 with typical samsung timings you'll do fine. IGP OC tend to favor more on frequency instead of timings on most cases :)

3)Lastly, when your IGP GT Ratio and Memory Frequency is maxxed out, time to do some fine tuning with BCLK. Increase 1 - 2 Mhz here will give you that extra 15-20 Mhz you'll probably need for competition purposes.

Oh, and if you're on ambient cooling, sometimes reducing CPU OC can gain just a little bit of IGP frequency. If your benchmark doesn't require high CPU scores, you might try lowering your cpu oc & cpu volts a bit to gain IGP frequency.

(useful for GPU-bound scenarios,like 3DMark Fire Strike on HD4600 .But on 3DMark Cloud Gate CPU speed is still needed)

Well, hope that helped. Good Luck ;)

• Thanks 1

I'm no IGP expert, but I might have some advice for you :)

IGP tuning is actually pretty straightforward, maximise its IGP clock, and memory performance matters a LOT(especially in AMD's IGP).

1) For Intel's IGP solution, for example HD 4600 found in i7 Haswell, the frequency of the IGP is found on the 'GT Ratio' on MSI's motherboard, this is a 'multiplier', and you get IGP Frequency from this formula:

IGP Frequency = GT Ratio * (BCLK/2)

So basically on 100Mhz BCLK, every 1 GT ratio increase will give you 50Mhz more IGP Frequency.

The one voltage that's responsible for the IGP is the GT Voltage (IGP Volt or Vaxg in some mobo). You can really push the IGP volts, 1.35-1.4V is quite safe for this and will give around 1550-1600Mhz IGP frequency or more. Got a better cooling and you can crank this up ;)

2)After finding your maximum GT ratio for 3D benchmarks, time to maximise performance from your memory system, if you can do 2800CL9 with typical samsung timings you'll do fine. IGP OC tend to favor more on frequency instead of timings on most cases :)

3)Lastly, when your IGP GT Ratio and Memory Frequency is maxxed out, time to do some fine tuning with BCLK. Increase 1 - 2 Mhz here will give you that extra 15-20 Mhz you'll probably need for competition purposes.

Oh, and if you're on ambient cooling, sometimes reducing CPU OC can gain just a little bit of IGP frequency. If your benchmark doesn't require high CPU scores, you might try lowering your cpu oc & cpu volts a bit to gain IGP frequency.

(useful for GPU-bound scenarios,like 3DMark Fire Strike on HD4600 .But on 3DMark Cloud Gate CPU speed is still needed)

Well, hope that helped. Good Luck ;)

helped me a lot man thanks for the tips already improved my scores by just about 100pts! wish i had some helpful stuff to tell you but i'm sure you know more than me about OCing haha

and just want to be safe... now that i'm using the CPU for a GPU too what temps do i have to worry about? because i know most people say stay away from 70c+ when OC a CPU but what about IGP and CPU together?