HWBOT Community Forums

Chilled water prep

Do I need to do any type of insulating for chilled water?

I want to put my 1080mm radiator into a tub of ice essentially, or just run cold water with ice in it through the loop.

I assume I need to do something to the tubing, like some neoprene or paper towels and wrap the tubing or something like that?

But the GPU block, do I need to take the GPU block off and do anything to the PCB / GPU memory?

Then also around the CPU block put some paper towels?

An example of a test with chilled water. So yes you want to insolate the blocks and probably the tubing close to the bench rig aswell. For the Pcb of the motherboard/gpu I wouldnt say that its needed as they will probably always be above the dewpoint if you dont live in a extreamly hot and humid area.

IMG_20140803_012039_zpsetsnczgi.jpg

An example of a test with chilled water. So yes you want to insolate the blocks and probably the tubing close to the bench rig aswell. For the Pcb of the motherboard/gpu I wouldnt say that its needed as they will probably always be above the dewpoint if you dont live in a extreamly hot and humid area.

IMG_20140803_012039_zpsetsnczgi.jpg

It has been very hot and humid the last few days, but i think dew point gets lower at night.

If my dew point is ~ 5c do you think ill be alright?

Your processor/GPU is unlikely to run sub-ambient with just ice chilled water, so you will not need to insulate those. However, you'll want to insulate the tubes to prevent condensation from dripping on the board. Additionally, the more you insulate, the colder your loop will be since it will not gain as much heat from its surroundings.

Do I need to do any type of insulating for chilled water?

I want to put my 1080mm radiator into a tub of ice essentially, or just run cold water with ice in it through the loop.

I assume I need to do something to the tubing, like some neoprene or paper towels and wrap the tubing or something like that?

But the GPU block, do I need to take the GPU block off and do anything to the PCB / GPU memory?

Then also around the CPU block put some paper towels?

I have done this many times and found that after 2 - 3 hours the paper towel is pretty wet so I just used some kneaded eraser covered with paper towel (aka blue shop towels) on one board and a little vas covered w towels on the other. I also found that applying an extremely thin layer of dielectric grease on the cpu itself helps a lot as well.

When I had my rig in a case things were actually much worse and destroyed a motherboard because the paper towels didn't catch all the small drips once I went to a bench table it was all good. My biggest advice is that condensation only happens with air, so if you can wrap the cpu area good with towels it will barely get moist and anything else you want dry DO NOT have a fan blowing at it, make sure to have air blowing away from board and you will have less problems

Edited by GtiJason
thin not this

Yes you do :) From my experience the worst case is when you stay in condensation zone (~ 0-8C). It depends on temperature and humidity of course. If your temp will be higher, then there's no problem, if will be lower than 0 just insulate like I did.

838655.jpg