HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT x265 Benchmark

havli

Updated package with CPU-Z 1.89.1 and newer version of bundled Java is now available.

http://hw-museum.cz/data/hwbot/HWBOT_X265_2.2_cpu-z_1.89.1.zip

The benchmark itself remains exactly the same, no changes from version 2.2. The new Java might help in some rare cases of application crash when saving the data file. CPU-Z 1.89.1 improves HW detection.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would normally be okay with what is voted by the community. I have a problem with x265 2.2 in scoring. This my be classified as a BUG or a CHEAT it's all how you wish to look at it :)

We have the x265 4K 2.2 in this years TC - 2019. I pulled out my "OLD i3-6320" to compete in the Dual Core section. I noticed that SWEET - (I've talked to and also looked at other scores) using the same Motherboard and CPU combo  - BEAT - -> Destroyed <- my x265 submission. I had over 1.3GHz higher CPU&IMC speed but he scored 2x better than me??? https://hwbot.org/submission/3955708_maddmutt_hwbot_x265_benchmark___1080p_core_i3_6320_8.845_fps

Is this problem reproducible YES... Here are screen shots of the the x265 1080p and 4K results. I do not have my system overclocked but running at BIOS default.

Is this limited to only this CPU, CPU/MB combo, Software, Ect, Ect???

Thank You

snaphsot0001.png

snaphsot0001 (2).png

3 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

special non K bios being used? AVX coding goes down the drain over a certain Bclock (102.8ish) Perfectly could explain why your OCed submission scores way lower than the top scores (at way lower MHz)

What he said ^. Bclk bouncing at/ over 103 will break it.

• 11 months later...

When using Overkill does anyone else see the top or bottom progress bar run away from the other?  I've played with a bunch of different things and it feels like it's a Windows 10 scheduler bug.  Or is that normal behavior?  I've only seen one person bench it on YouTube and I myself only have about a day of experience playing with the benchmark.  

I see that big difference between the overkill bars when priority is above NORMAL - in either Win 7 or Win 10.  Try all the priorities and take a peak in task manager during the run to see what actual priority is being used for the workload processes.

1 hour ago, jab383 said:

I see that big difference between the overkill bars when priority is above NORMAL - in either Win 7 or Win 10.  Try all the priorities and take a peak in task manager during the run to see what actual priority is being used for the workload processes.

I've played with all the priorities too, but that alone didn't cure it for me.  I did see favorable results combining that while playing with other Windows power plans though.  

What program is it in Task Manager?  Is it Javaw?

Edited by nickname2019

12 minutes ago, nickname2019 said:

I've played with all the priorities too, but that alone didn't cure it for me.  I did see favorable results combining that while playing with other Windows power plans though.  

What program is it in Task Manager?  Is it Javaw?

Yes

Javaw.exe is just the benchmark GUI, this one should be left as it is. It has no effect on the performance. When you launch the benchmark run with overkill enabled, then 2 or more instances of the x265 encoder will show up in the device manager and these should have the selected priority set.

When running overkill with high(er) priority, the Windows scheduller might assing more system resources to one instance and less to the other - which results in one instance running faster and the other slower. If the score varies too much, then final score won't be valid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, havli said:

-snip-

When running overkill with high(er) priority, the Windows scheduller might assing more system resources to one instance and less to the other - which results in one instance running faster and the other slower. If the score varies too much, then final score won't be valid.

Is there anything that can be done about the scheduler assigning more resources to one instance over the other?  Or is that by design?  

In my experiences the gap between the two is usually 40% ~ 45%.  

Try playing with pagefile, no pagefile, try playing background service priority and different win32priorityseparation values in the registry, try the new 20** build of windows 10 or depending on your hardware windows 8 or server 2012. Sometimes it is what it is and fails due to variance. Run it again. 

On 8/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, Splave said:

Try playing with pagefile, no pagefile, try playing background service priority and different win32priorityseparation values in the registry, try the new 20** build of windows 10 or depending on your hardware windows 8 or server 2012. Sometimes it is what it is and fails due to variance. Run it again. 

Ooh, I read your write up over at Tom's and am eager to try dual rank my next go around.  And will give your above suggestions a try too.  Many thanks.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...