HWBOT Community Forums

Anybody on maximus ranger? I have dreaded problem with memory overclocking. So far 3450mhz with 1.25 vccio and 1.3v sa

Constant 41/55 post code errors. I have fiddled thru almost every subtiming and no luck. When i get close to max mem wall. Cpu drops down to 28 multi or refuses to oc via multiplier. Already tested two mem kits. But when i use just one stick or in single channel i can get past 3800mhz.

Is there something deeper in bios settings, or asus have so tight settings and we cannot change via bios? don't know, but this has taken nearly 20 hours to fiddle out settings.

@kezu : Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Memory Spec is DDR4-3400, so thats normal if you hard to get above that. Compared to Gene that Memory Spec DDR4-3800. So i think your Ranger is normal.

Okay, so gotta buy board which allows more OC headroom for memory. Asrock it should be then. :D

Thanks, just strange little bit more expensive board has option for relaxed timings. But i am not expert, is it the timings etc reason for the board not willing to oc memory above 3400 or just hardware limit. (components etc)

Okay, so gotta buy board which allows more OC headroom for memory. Asrock it should be then. :D

Thanks, just strange little bit more expensive board has option for relaxed timings. But i am not expert, is it the timings etc reason for the board not willing to oc memory above 3400 or just hardware limit. (components etc)

Honestly never used this board, but since it has official QVL up to 3466 with Samsung B-die it should be able to reach at least ~4000 with loose timings. Which BIOS and sticks are you using?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_RANGER/M8R_DRAM_QVL_20160411.pdf?_ga=1.155860658.867774124.1405396885

Honestly never used this board, but since it has official QVL up to 3466 with Samsung B-die it should be able to reach at least ~4000 with loose timings. Which BIOS and sticks are you using?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_RANGER/M8R_DRAM_QVL_20160411.pdf?_ga=1.155860658.867774124.1405396885

0018 & 190x official. Tested both of them

hyperx 2666mhz 16gb kit wont post above 2900mhz.

Patriot viper 3600c17 2x4 gb singlesided sticks. No matter what. Wont go above 3450mhz

I assume those are E - die. But seems like im not the only one who's affected with this problem. Doing google search there's lots of complaints even mem's not working when QVL.

Especially thru xmp settings. Already done lots of fiddling to sub timings. But no help.

Edited by kezu

I have same board and have same problem with hi MHz on memory

tried 0014 and 0018 bios

What mem's you have and whats the max mhz you are able to obtain?

I might have few tricks which may get you few mhz more :)

Edit, gonna reach out raja. Maybe he can throw some tricks to us. Funny that bit more expensive rog mb's have option to use maximus tweak's but alas. Ranger does not have.

3333mhz highest stable, a kit of 4x8gb TridentZ 3200c14, and a 4x4gb kit of ripjaws4, 3000c15. much higher and i get 55, even if i loosen timings. idk if its the board or the imc or my settings lol. i am happy with the ranger, great price with lots of features. however, i wanted the gene board but none in stock at the time i bought this.

3333mhz highest stable, a kit of 4x8gb TridentZ 3200c14, and a 4x4gb kit of ripjaws4, 3000c15. much higher and i get 55, even if i loosen timings. idk if its the board or the imc or my settings lol. i am happy with the ranger, great price with lots of features. however, i wanted the gene board but none in stock at the time i bought this.

Well i asked, if there's coming out maximus tweak option for ranger board. Simply answer was. 4 layer board, i have maxed out mem oc. Something to do with signals. So no loose subtiming options for us.

Edit, anybody has any pics what the maximus tweak mode 1 changes in bios? or is it coded to bios itself?

Anyone tested 0018 BIOS on Maximus VIII Gene? I haven't found noexecute=alwaysoff yet on BIOS. Any help would help my SuperPi 32M score a lot :D

You don't need the BIOS to support no execute.

You can do noexecute=alwaysoff as a switch in boot.ini

Similar to how you do Maxmem.

Edit:- That said, the newer BIOSes are supposed to have an execute disable bit, option in advance Cpu settings.

Thank you for your help, already did in boot.ini, just to make sure in BIOS if it helped :D

Doesn't make a difference as far as I know.

But as I said, there should be an "Execute disable bit" option in newer BIOSes.

I believe its under Advanced->CPU configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by rtsurfer

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all,

I know some people claimed to overclock to 4.8 using air cooling. They used Noctua NH-D15; I have D15S with 2 fans. Is anybody familiar with the settings for that overclocking with Maximus VIII extreme? To start overclocking, should we use adaptive mode or manual?

Here we have a guide for overclocking the BCLK. To overclock that, do you need to place in manual mode first, then if stable go to adaptive mode or can you do it while adaptive mode? Is high BCLK no recommended but close to 100 is better? Is C state enable shortening the life of the CPU? I read it does. How good is offset mode in overclocking? I have many questions. I tried to get the best overclocking with no harm to the hardware.

Thank you,

Medico

Hi to all,

I know some people claimed to overclock to 4.8 using air cooling. They used Noctua NH-D15; I have D15S with 2 fans. Is anybody familiar with the settings for that overclocking with Maximus VIII extreme? To start overclocking, should we use adaptive mode or manual?

Here we have a guide for overclocking the BCLK. To overclock that, do you need to place in manual mode first, then if stable go to adaptive mode or can you do it while adaptive mode? Is high BCLK no recommended but close to 100 is better? Is C state enable shortening the life of the CPU? I read it does. How good is offset mode in overclocking? I have many questions. I tried to get the best overclocking with no harm to the hardware.

Thank you,

Medico

Well first it depends on what you want to do with your pc.

For benchmarking I use manual mode so I have a steady voltage. C-States are power saving states when the cpu is idle. I turn them off on my m8e. Since the bclk is now decoupled from dmi and pcie you can overclock the bclk a lot more and could actually use that instead of multiplier, But for starters I would stick with multiplier.

You also didnt mention what cpu you have so this is just very general.

But set voltage to manual mode and try 1.25v - 1.3v, set cpu multiplier to around 45 and try maybe cinebench r15 to see if you can pass. If you crash you can try a bit higher voltage, if no crash can try 46 multi.

But I am not really sure of your ambient temp and how good your cooling is setup so be careful raising voltage too high and make sure to have a temp monitor open when running cinebench or whatever bench you want to be stable for.

Thank you for your reply. My CPU is 6700K. Room temperature is around 79*F. I am using RealBench 2.44 to check for stability. I was able to run with no BSOD for 15 minutes with overclocking using multiplier 47x100 4.7 with manual setting and voltage override of 1.36. CPU max temperature went up to around 90*F in one core. I am trying to run PC for benchmarking, gaming and normal use with low temperatures as possible and the lower voltage as possible and high overclocking. If I use the frequency, it may affect temperature less, Adaptive too as required less voltage. Moreover, temperatures are lower but have some strange instability with RealBench 2.44. It increases the DRAM reference. I was told to keep it the original stable one. I tried 1.34 volts and was unstable. I tried 1.35v and maximum temperature was 84*F but BSOD said:

This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x9A448)

Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800AD5EA448, 0xFFFFD0002B4EDB00, 0x0)

Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: DirectX Graphics Kernel

Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

What can be done to lower the temperatures?

Thanks,

Medico

• 5 weeks later...