HWBOT Community Forums

Low-end VGA modding competition - anyone up for organizing it?

Massman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And something few generations back? Let see...GTX 260 or 460? would not be good idea?

Assuming they aren't too hard to get for most people I'm fine with that as such in the last OCAU comp run by 0+0 we used 580's because they could had for around $100aud and aren't very hard to get but for the first comp anyway I think 5450 or 210 or 610 or 720 just to keep it simple as they are available in retail

Edit: I think it may be a good idea to point out that steponz is looking run a cheap 3d comp

Edited by newlife

Assuming they aren't too hard to get for most people I'm fine with that as such in the last OCAU comp run by 0+0 we used 580's because they could had for around $100aud and aren't very hard to get but for the first comp anyway I think 5450 or 210 or 610 or 720 just to keep it simple as they are available in retail

Edit: I think it may be a good idea to point out that steponz is looking run a cheap 3d comp

Yeah, I saw that on facebook too...almost the same model that we are talking about.

I still have 2 or 3 of those 8600...not sure if all works.

Why not make it more open?

i.e.

3 methods for participate...

1) Using 8600 (specific model?)

2) Using GT 610

3) Using HD 5450

Same benchmarks for all, the point would be how to make it "fair" for all since not all GPUs have the same submits in HWBot. Overclock percentage?

Each "season" could focus on a different card. Make a season last two months with four benchmarks?

Would be good add some "pre-start" time. In USA or Europe is "easy" find GPUs but in some other countries takes a little more time, 10 days before the kick off would be good time to find and get the GPU for the next season.

I agree! In my view, the goal is to get new guys into modding cards and tweaking for 3D!

Yeah although I don't think having all the mods ready beforehand is the best because I enjoy figuring out how to mod them myself and you may find far too many layouts between the different aib manufacturers also I never would have picked up a soldering iron if it wasn't for one of the comps on OCAU which to me was a huge boost in my interest in overclocking and even lead to my first time using LN2

I think lowering the barrier of entry and competition is the goal. When we did the 5450 competition at OCN, we shared the mods at the beginning of the comp and everyone modded their cards up. For these cheap cards, there isn't much variation. Most are reference or have slightly cheaper components. The AIB's don't want to do the R&D to make many changes on stuff like this.

xxbassplayerxx -

I believe the point is to get new guys into 3D. Adding a barrier of secret volt mods is not going to make that happen.

That is a good point. I did not mean to increase the barrier or use any "secret volt mods", I just mean that it would be fun to let people discover volt mods, that are not known/publushed yet for such low-end cards, where are voltmods usually not even done for the simple reason that these cards are not worth the hassles :)

That is what I mean... but perhaps the idea or preprared voltmods guide is better? I still will do things MY way and then we see :)

...so, if this is about lowering the bar to entry, then n LN2/Phase/water cooling is also good rule, yep?

The mods are so easy to figure out for most of these low end cards that, even if no one had figured them out in the past, they can be figured and published at the beginning of the competition.

I think it's a good idea to have two classes for this. Ambient cooling and subzero cooling limited to what ever class you're in at the start of the competition (rookie/novice/enthusiast vs extreme/elite). Limit the power cards (A/E/G Power) to the subzero classes because it's always awesome to see a tiny little card with a big zombie on it!

And something few generations back? Let see...GTX 260 or 460? would not be good idea?

I Think saint is on the right way here, a good way to lower the cost barrier is to use a card from a few generations back that sold in huge amounts so its very easy to get on the second hand market but at the same time fits and runs well with a modern system.

Some examples of suitable cards just from my head

6850/6870 (is starting to get cheap nowdays)

5450 (advantage that its sold as new aswell)

4850/4870/4890

Gtx 560ti

gtx 460

gtx 260

gts 250

Could even go back to the 8800 cards thats availible in big quantitys for a very low price here atleast.

Air cooling or AIO coolers would be the "limit" I think, for new guys could be too much use volt mods and extreme cooling at the same time.

In MOA 2013 (if I am right) the volt mods for the GPU (750 Ti I think) was shared since the beginning of the online qualifiers...we can do the same here.

Edited by saint19