HWBOT Community Forums

Low-end VGA modding competition - anyone up for organizing it?

Massman

Air cooling or AIO coolers would be the "limit" I think, for new guys could be too much use volt mods and extreme cooling at the same time.

In MOA 2013 (if I am right) the volt mods for the GPU (750 Ti I think) was shared since the beginning of the online qualifiers...we can do the same here.

I don't think we should rule out full watercooling for the lower division. For cards this small, it won't give much of an advantage over AIO and it would needlessly prohibit people who have WC but not AIO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For group B ( just as a reference ) I vote 8800 GT 512MB, very common.

There are many custom designs with simple voltmod.

For group A ( just as a reference ) GTX 260 216SP or HD 5850.

Voltmod allowed and AIO (CPU) / any aircooling method for GPU ?

These are just options. 8800 GT is a very good card for beginners and has huge improvements from tweaking order / lod in older benchmarks.

If anyone is offended by the suggestion posted above, please ignore my post. It's just my honest opinion.

These are just options. 8800 GT is a very good card for beginners and has huge improvements from tweaking order / lod in older benchmarks.

If anyone is offended by the suggestion posted above, please ignore my post. It's just my honest opinion.

I vote for alowing watercooling aswell as there is probably more people then me that got waterblocks for pretty much anything but dont have any custom aircoolers for some specific old card and its kind of hard to get a custom cooler for say a 8800gt today..

I think it would be best to keep it to cards that are retail just to begin with but I don't have a problem with older cards after that because having to buy cards second hand off places like ebay can deter people even from trying

Got to say i'm really looking forward to this one. I've been wanting to start modding older cards for ages now and this seems like a great way to get folks into modding.

With regards to mod guides, you've got to post these imo. For a guy that has no electronic experience and very little knowledge without a guide there's no start point. It's easy for those in the know to say let them find out the mods themselves, but without a clue it's near impossible. It's probably been done before and something i'll need to google, but even a short descriptive write up on the workings/in's/out's of gpu layout/mods etc would be beneficial. I bet 99% of those who haven't touched a soldering iron don't even know what temp to set it at!

Sigh, I'm guessing you all forgot about this

Gradus, Trodas: I like your enthusiasm, but your request fit a lot better in the "Old School is Best School" competition :)

The goal for this competition is to use low-end, current generation graphics cards and have fun with them. The goal is not to limit everything ...

@Doug I love figuring out mods for myself as it's not hard and is satisfying to know you worked it out yourself and all you need to do is locate the mosfet controller for gpu and/or mem and look up the datasheet to find the fb pin and once you have that found you measure the resistance to ground and add a vr(trimpot) from fb to gnd that's 20x the value also I don't use a temp control iron as I'm happy with my $15 40w iron although when it stops I might get a gas one

@saint19, first need to finalize the competition plan :)

@Doug I love figuring out mods for myself as it's not hard and is satisfying to know you worked it out yourself and all you need to do is locate the mosfet controller for gpu and/or mem and look up the datasheet to find the fb pin and once you have that found you measure the resistance to ground and add a vr(trimpot) from fb to gnd that's 20x the value also I don't use a temp control iron as I'm happy with my $15 40w iron although when it stops I might get a gas one

It's funny. I think the "FB x 20"-mod is the easiest way to start vmodding, but for new people it's not common knowledge. Maybe because the controllers have become a lot more complicated than back in the day.

@saint19, first need to finalize the competition plan :)

It's funny. I think the "FB x 20"-mod is the easiest way to start vmodding, but for new people it's not common knowledge. Maybe because the controllers have become a lot more complicated than back in the day.

Yeah and when talking cheap cards they still use really basic controllers and when I first got into vmods all needed to know was fb pin and 20x trimpot. The cards with more complex controllers tend to have full software control.

I think the lack of knowledge would be largely due to fear in trying and those that do know it don't overly talk about it.

Just for anybody that hasn't soldered before I found a dead card and soldering to the one of sip-8 ic legs for practice.

• 3 months later...

+1 ;)