HWBOT Community Forums

Calling All Rampage Extreme Masters - Getting Above 670 FSB

@SF3D @Billy\-The\-Kid @NeoForce @beleno @Calathea @fuzz3l @sheri-robak-tiger; @ARandomOWL @kintaro @Gluvocio @matose @nickolp1974 @Nick\.ua @THC @baker18 @kim55 @DopeLex @MattNo5ss @Radi @Solarfall; @OverExtreme @gradus @CtrlFix @alibabar @F\.O\.G\.N\.A\. @Vivi @k\|ngp\|n @Cische-; @westyle

Hi guys, I went through all of the Rampage Extreme subs that I could find to get anyone who has subbed over 670 FSB with a reference clock, E8400, E8500, or E8600. I have now tested two different boards and two different chips subzero with my NB frozen. Both chips had the exact same wall at 670.6 FSB and from searching around, it seems like quite a few others have run into the wall there... but a few have made it past that.

I have changed every voltage that I can imagine... PLL from 1.60V up to 1.85V, FSB Term from 1.55V-1.80V, NB from 1.55V to 1.85V, etc. The things I haven't touched yet... GTL's. I've read that on the REX they can stay on auto. For those of you that made it past 670, did you start manually tweaking these? What about clock skews? On my P5E3 Premium, a skew of +200 ms on the CPU was practically mandatory but I wasn't finding any successes on the REX by tweaking this.

So... please share your FSB clocking tips! I have a bomb E8500 that I'd like to get up past 6.4GHz and I know 6GHz isn't the wall on my E8400.

Thanks in advance... I know a lot of the people mentioned above aren't active but whatever :D

I can answer instead of Nick.UA in his case it was more luck than skill. If I remember it well we were with our team at local IT-festival and Nick even didn't use LN2 for chipset, so he did it on air. And for overclocking with RE we used popular then guides and asked OC guru about fine tuning.

I'm no master lol but from what I recall it was mostly dependant on the cpu, the E8500 I had came from Crotale (you remember him right? :D) and it was pretty good. For me it always worked the best with 266 strap and Hyper ram.

I didn't have to go nuts with PLL and/or VTT, only vcore and northbridge volt. Also lowest possible temp wasn't always the best FSB-wise. Good luck, REX was the most fun!

Same here - all subs i made i used air or water cooling at the board. I experienced the same, that it heavily depends on the CPU (sub-0 on the cpu helps to push the fsb limit of the CPU some Mhz further but no wonders from my testing).

I can't remember my exact BIOS settings but i usally tuned GTL's a bit. There is a great article/Thread somewhere from that time which helped me alot - maybe you still can find it by "googling" (i sadly can't remember the page :( ). It was made for FSB OC the S775 Quads but also had some nice finds for Dual-Core OC.

Other than that i didn't do anything else then tweaking voltages and cranking up the frequencies. What i also can say is, that not all Boards like all straps. I had a Board which didn't liked 266er or 400er Strap but ran like hell with 333er. It also helped sometimes to lower the performance level to 12/13 and twister to auto at the same time.

If you have - try Micron D9GTR or D9GTS RAM's - always worked best for my REX's.

Good luck to you and i strongly agree: REX and S775 was the most fun! :D

• Crew
@SF3D @Billy\-The\-Kid @NeoForce @beleno @Calathea @fuzz3l @sheri-robak-tiger; @ARandomOWL @kintaro @Gluvocio @matose @nickolp1974 @Nick\.ua @THC @baker18 @kim55 @DopeLex @MattNo5ss @Radi @Solarfall; @OverExtreme @gradus @CtrlFix @alibabar @F\.O\.G\.N\.A\. @Vivi @k\|ngp\|n @Cische-; @westyle

Hi guys, I went through all of the Rampage Extreme subs that I could find to get anyone who has subbed over 670 FSB with a reference clock, E8400, E8500, or E8600. I have now tested two different boards and two different chips subzero with my NB frozen. Both chips had the exact same wall at 670.6 FSB and from searching around, it seems like quite a few others have run into the wall there... but a few have made it past that.

I have changed every voltage that I can imagine... PLL from 1.60V up to 1.85V, FSB Term from 1.55V-1.80V, NB from 1.55V to 1.85V, etc. The things I haven't touched yet... GTL's. I've read that on the REX they can stay on auto. For those of you that made it past 670, did you start manually tweaking these? What about clock skews? On my P5E3 Premium, a skew of +200 ms on the CPU was practically mandatory but I wasn't finding any successes on the REX by tweaking this.

So... please share your FSB clocking tips! I have a bomb E8500 that I'd like to get up past 6.4GHz and I know 6GHz isn't the wall on my E8400.

Thanks in advance... I know a lot of the people mentioned above aren't active but whatever :D

for me it was a case of go subzero on the NB, and go to 1.85 1.9v but it seems you already tried that.

for me it was a motherboard thing, i never ran into chip limits fsb wise, was always a gem mobo thing. so it is odd that you reached 670 limit on both :P

I'm no master lol but from what I recall it was mostly dependant on the cpu, the E8500 I had came from Crotale (you remember him right? :D) and it was pretty good. For me it always worked the best with 266 strap and Hyper ram.

I didn't have to go nuts with PLL and/or VTT, only vcore and northbridge volt. Also lowest possible temp wasn't always the best FSB-wise. Good luck, REX was the most fun!

Pretty much this for me also, low PLL/VTT, high NB and vcore and iirc i was on 333 strap with hypers 1800ish cas 6

NB was watercooled, tried LN2 very quick on NB and cpu but made little differance for me.

Wow! Thanks for the input so far! Those of you that froze the NB, what did you do for VRM's and SB cooling? When I froze mine, I just set the pot on the flat copper spot on the heatsink since I didn't have anything to put on the rest of the board.

DopeLex, is this the link you're talking about?

Edited by xxbassplayerxx

From my experience (and i had a lot of REX) it is only the board but i never had to use Cold on the NB. For the 683Mhz valid i have in my profile i just pushed the vTT and the vNB.

You need to find the Strap the board is liking the most and you definitely need proper D9GTR for that board. What are your exact settings to reach 670 on both boards? And what are the serial numbers from the boards? The early ones (88 and 89) were the best.

266 mem strap,+300 skew on cpu, +100 on NB, GTL's auto and Perf. Level. 10 Twister at Stong.

Higher Perf Level got me troubles with 266 strap that's why.

They worked for 686 fsb on me.

Also try PLL as low as possible to get lower coldbug and vtt at 1.4 or something.

The best thing if your chip was up to it was to do a pll mod to get pll at 1.3v and run you cpu practically without coldbug...

I'll check SN when I get home from work today.

Here are approximate boot settings for 670 - just going for pure frequency:

620 x 9.5 - raise to 670 in Windows, 10MHz at a time slowing to 5MHz from 660

266 Strap

PCI-E - 108

Memory 1:1 all auto

Twister - Lighter

PL - 15

vPLL - 1.60V

VTT/FSB Term - 1.550

vNB - 1.70V

vCore - 1.90V

Spread Spectrums: disabled

That right there will get me 670.6. No combination of more voltages could get me higher, so I think it's down to other settings at this point.

As I mentioned, I used the NB pot (Tek Slim lol) on top of the HS so it's possible that the X48 chip was not getting very cold. When freezing NB, do you have heatsinks on VRM's?

BCIlvz1.jpg

EDIT:

266 mem strap,+300 skew on cpu, +100 on NB, GTL's auto and Perf. Level. 10 Twister at Stong.

Higher Perf Level got me troubles with 266 strap that's why.

They worked for 686 fsb on me.

Also try PLL as low as possible to get lower coldbug and vtt at 1.4 or something.

The best thing if your chip was up to it was to do a pll mod to get pll at 1.3v and run you cpu practically without coldbug...

Wow... I may have to look into that PLL mod :eek:

• Like 1

I used pretty much the same vga pot on NB, did you use a shim inbetween?? As the outer heatsink is raised, i just used a copper coin covered in TIM, not ideal but it worked. Noticed your pci-e is at 108, is there a reason for this?? I just left mine at 100.

When turned sideways it seemed to make good contact with the HS. No shim used. I just raised PCI-E for the hell of it. It's helped me break through clock barriers on other chipsets so I figured I'd give it a shot.