HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE

Some guys already know about that for a while already but I figured I would post this here as well. :)

HOW-TO run FULL pot on MSI:

- Follow Dancop's guide for prepartion and handling: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=154112

- Use PCH slot (in HOT V2 BIOS there is a bug that disable PCH slot when onboard LAN is disabled so don't forget to enable LAN after loading LN2 profile or you will get D6 post code, I'll have this fixed asap)

Depending on CPU you will need:

- Between 1.7v~2.4v CPU PLL

- Between 1.7v~2.78v CPU PLL OC

Verified on ~10 CPUs with XA, Dancop, Orion24, Zzolio, Wizerty and Bullshooter, all CPUs were running full pot with no issues with the right settings.

I'll be back soon with settings to run full pot on CPU PCI-E slots.

Edited by pepinorang

Some progress from MSI on B-die clocks
Big progress^^

It has ALWAYS been like that guys, YOU just don't try and blindly follow the rest of the crowd! :P

Just look at the BIOS version (130) it's bunnying oooooold! So far best 32M/XTU aircooled results I have seen on MSI are:

Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE + E-DIE = 4000 12-18-18

Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE + B-DIE = 4000 12-12-12 / 3960 12-11-11

Z170I GAMING PRO + E-DIE = 4133 12-19-19

Z170I GAMING PRO + B-DIE = 4133 12-12-12

Also go look at the memory QVL of each vendors, MSI has the BEST memory compatibility on Z170 & X99, no matter the board you compare.

Edited by pepinorang
  • Like 1

Some guys already know about that for a while already but I figured I would post this here as well. :)

HOW-TO run FULL pot on MSI:

- Follow Dancop's guide for prepartion and handling: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=154112

- Use PCH slot (in HOT V2 BIOS there is a bug that disable PCH slot when onboard LAN is disabled so don't forget to enable LAN after loading LN2 profile or you will get D6 post code, I'll have this fixed asap)

Depending on CPU you will need:

- Between 1.7v~2.4v CPU PLL

- Between 1.7v~2.78v CPU PLL OC

Verified on ~10 CPUs with XA, Dancop, Orion24, Zzolio, Wizerty and Bullshooter, all CPUs were running full pot with no issues with the right settings.

I'll be back soon with settings to run full pot on CPU PCI-E slots.

Maybe its a stupid question but what about CBB? Does the mobo apply PLL voltage before post in order to post sub 140C?

Maybe its a stupid question but what about CBB? Does the mobo apply PLL voltage before post in order to post sub 140C?

No it's not stupid and actually interesting.

As far as I know, there is only two ways to apply CPU ST V6/PLL Termination voltage before post in order to lower CBB on Skylake:

A) Embedded Controler

B) Increase stock voltage by hardware

As far as I know, only one vendor use the solution A (MSI has an EC but it's used for different purposes).

MSI had an LN2 jumper that use solution B (JLN1, near debug LED).

However, due to differences in PCH quality between pre-launch and post-launch, we stopped using this solution because ~90% of PCH chips produced post-launch can't handle the increase in voltage needed to lower CBB and will refuse to boot when JLN1 is shorted.

Thus, CBB on MSI is now the same than other vendors which don't use solution A/B, unless you have an old sample or you binned boards to find a PCH that can handle said voltage increase.

Edited by pepinorang

Memory preset b-die ?

with my ram I can do 3866 CL12 ( Asus impact ), msi Z170 xpower I can not :(

It boots easily just by setting 12-12-12-28-220-1T and left the rest auto.

I'll say this once again: You CAN'T compare memory OC on Mini-ITX/2 DIMM boards with ATX T-Topology, they are worlds appart!

A fair comparison would be XPOWER vs M8E vs OCF vs SOC Force or M8I vs MOCF vs Z170I GAMING PRO

BDIE6700K.jpg

It can be done man...

And has been done more than once:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3833&stc=1&d=1453950678

attachment.php?attachmentid=4167&stc=1&d=1461035307

Benchbros also recently posted several results on XPOWER with B-DIE:

http://hwbot.org/submission/3191899_benchbros_cinebench___r11.5_core_i7_6700k_15.75_points

http://hwbot.org/submission/3191903_benchbros_geekbench3___multi_core_core_i7_6700k_27601_points

http://hwbot.org/submission/3191901_benchbros_cinebench___r15_core_i7_6700k_1421_cb

Edited by pepinorang

Hi, I tryed many times, but no changes here.. I change the bclk in the Bios to 110, but when start the windows the bclk is 100...

used Bios 14T and 14U,,,, for non-k cpu's.. clear cmos many times... removed battery... :(

I used M-flash and FPT program... :(

Hi, I tryed many times, but no changes here.. I change the bclk in the Bios to 110, but when start the windows the bclk is 100...

used Bios 14T and 14U,,,, for non-k cpu's.. clear cmos many times... removed battery... :(

I used M-flash and FPT program... :(

I replied in the other thread already.

• 3 weeks later...

First page updated with latest Softwares and BIOS.

New XOC BIOS takes a lot more time than I expected as R&D is busy with next gen, but it will be ready around mid-may at very least.

As I mentioned before, new XOC BIOS will be ACPI compatible, include 15 new memory presets for D-Die/E-Die/B-Die/MFR/AFR and fix ALL the bugs of HOT v2.

In short, it' will be one to rule them all and I doubt another one will be needed until Kabylake or new competitive memory ICs are released. :)

For Non-K OC, you can now use OFFICIAL/BETA BIOS, when Non-K CPU will be installed, BIOS will automatically switch to microcode and display an hidden menu named "Beta Runner".

In this menu you have to enable the "NOC" option and your Non-K CPU will fly! ;)

BIOS screenshot, courtesy of Der8auer's MSI Z170 Non-K OC Guide:

MSI_SnapShot_03.png

Edited by pepinorang

• 2 weeks later...
Actually it is already there, but it seems I cannot get it working:

OC MENU > BETA RUNNER > REAL THREAD

Maybe you could try with an XP drive that is already ACPI?

sure, i am back home from DRC on Friday night, my Xpower is my last 100% working z170 :eek: will let you know on the weekend

I am very impressed.

I must put my hands on one of these beauties.

Good work !

Even if you have probably noticed, I must warn that I needed -80 on IMC for +2040 (memory weren't cold though).

The CPU I used isn't binned in any way so maybe a better IMC could also do on air.

However for XTU @2000 12-12-12-28-220-1T tight, ALL AIR is fine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4305&stc=1&d=1463124978

I'll try 32M asap, but for now I can't get this new BIOS to work with XP (ACPI or not).

At least it pass without wazza in 7 x64 :)

For XP installation you must press F7 when the System asked you for the AHCI Driver

It is not the issue, I had XP running without ACPI before.

This BIOS is supposed to be ACPI compatible (I saw it working on another version before) but neither my old install without ACPI or a new install with ACPI are working...

Weird but I have no time to check this further at the moment it'll have to wait a bit.

Edited by pepinorang

First page has been updated with new XOC BIOS + new flashing tool (as usual XOC BIOS can't be flashed with M-FLASH). :celebration:

Change log:

- Fix PCI-E lock to 1.1

- Fix B-DIE need to boot 3866x99~99.8

- Fix E-DIE need to boot 4000x99~99.8

- Replace old Micron/Hynix memory presets with new ones for AFR/MFR/D-DIE/E-DIE/B-DIE (I'll add Hynix M-DIE and update B-DIE asap, it only set primaries and tFAW for the moment)

- Add Non-K OC support

- Add ACPI support (need to be tested, not sure it works properly on this one)

- Increase SA/IO voltages in OC profiles

- Rename LN2 LOW OC profile to LN2 -120

- Add "LN2 FULL POT" OC profile

[highlight]***This BIOS must be used with Command Center Lite HOT version***[/highlight]

New memory presets:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4308&stc=1&d=1463129307

Non-K OC + ACPI:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4306&stc=1&d=1463129307

New OC Profiles:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4307&stc=1&d=1463129307

HAVE FUN GUYS! :D

Edited by pepinorang

Guest george.kokovinis

I am ordering one as we speak !

Excellent work Pepi and MSI !!!

Truly excellent.

I was waiting to buy an M-OCF, but changed my mind.

I understand about cold IMC.

No issue there since I will be benching on DICE in a few days.

GREAT !

You made me a happy man !

Thanks Pepi :)