HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE

Updated thread with latest BIOS, Ln2 OC Guide v1.4, MSI GAMING CPU-Z v1.74 (new fonts colors, much clearer as requested by many ocers) and Command Center Lite version which now works with all BIOS. :) Lots of updates in OC Guide v1.4:

- Useful Info, BIOS and Utilities revised

- Ln2 Tips revised

- Ln2 Voltage Table revised

- CPU ST/ST V6 & PLL OC Voltages revised

- How To Max Out CPU revised

- How to move CB & CBB lower revised

- Added BONUS Part 2 with hardmod for CPU ST ;)

For now, I recommend to only use latest MP/BETA BIOS from this thread for XOC.

EDIT: New Test BIOS based on 141 will be released soon, only differences will be PLL/PLL OC/vDimm unlocked to hardware limit.

1T issue with 4 DIMM has been solved in BIOS 141.

It is strongly advised to not use JLN1 jumper/short/switch (left side of debug LED, near fan connector) as we recently learned it can cause POST issues on retail CPUs. Support for JLN1 jumper has been removed from BIOS updates after T0P, board won't POST anymore with JLN1 ON.

Edited by pepinorang
  • Like 1

Guest george.kokovinis

Yesterday I updated my bios in my rather average Gaming M5.

Latest version 1.5

My issue with 2T on four sticks of HyperX -3000 IS SOLVED.

1T is easy now WITHOUT any additional voltage.

As a matter of fact I did rather easily 3200 - 13-15-15-28-1T with 1.62Volts

and 3200 - 12-15-15-28-1T with 1.72Volts.

SA at 1.35

I/O at 1.25

So, all is good now.

Thank you MSI :)

Excellent!

Out of curiosity, what's the explanation behind the xtu 2/4 stick phenomenon? I.e, msi needs quad and asrock for example only dual.

MSI don't needs quad, neither ASUS.

Ask @Strat which spent a lot of time on it and look at his topic for Hynix MFR here: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=144758

I don't see a lack of efficiency there :)

Also look this score from Hazzan on M8E: http://hwbot.org/submission/3022384_hazzan_xtu_core_i7_6700k_2101_marks vs this XTU score from Splave on OCF: http://hwbot.org/submission/3019044_splave_xtu_core_i7_6700k_2104_marks

3pts difference, same CPU frequency, both 2 DIMM.

The key is in the timings. ;)

Edited by pepinorang

The jump in score between 2 sticks and 4 for same timings is significant. (single sided) Had someone test on OCF (2/4) and no change in score at all.

Edit: in fact they weren't even the same timings, quad wasn't as tight as dual and could only run 2t, still shafted dual score.

Guest george.kokovinis

Although not directly relevant to Z170 Titanium edition, I would like to offer an update to my current setup of MSI Gaming M5 with four sticks of HyperX 3000 predator.

After latest bios update, and after some work, I got fully stable under sustained workloads, 3200 - 12-15-15-28-280-1T with pretty tight seconds and thirds with only 1.64Volts !

ON AIR !

SA 1.35

I/O 1.25

Either I have an excellent ram kit ( I think Splave binned forty sticks to achieve

the same settings ) or a very good board, or both.

I really believe this is great performance from a 200$ board.

the xtu phenomenon 2v4 dimm is to do with the memory trace topology connecting the cpu socket to memory slot, im not sure what the 2 types are called but basically on boards that scale with 4 dimm the memory slots are all connected then a bus goes to the cpu where as on boards that dont scale and perform better with 2 dimm each slot has its own bus to the cpu. its not as simple as just manufacturer for example asrock oc formula performs better with 2 where as the asrock extreme 7+ does scale with extra dimms

the xtu phenomenon 2v4 dimm is to do with the memory trace topology connecting the cpu socket to memory slot, im not sure what the 2 types are called but basically on boards that scale with 4 dimm the memory slots are all connected then a bus goes to the cpu where as on boards that dont scale and perform better with 2 dimm each slot has its own bus to the cpu. its not as simple as just manufacturer for example asrock oc formula performs better with 2 where as the asrock extreme 7+ does scale with extra dimms

What you are referring to is Daisy chain vs T-Topology.

However your description is not exact, both use two "bus" or memory signals.

In T-Topology:

- Signal X goes from CPU than split in 2 to supply channels A1/A2 equally.

- Signal Y goes from CPU than split in 2 to supply channels B1/B2 equally.

In Daisy chain:

- Signal X goes from CPU to channel A1 than to channel A2.

- Signal Y goes from CPU to channel B1 than to channel B2.

I could describe this better with paint but some people might not be happy with this...

Anyway, both designs have their advantages and disadvantages but to get back to XTU, the "others need 4 DIMM to match OCF" thing is a misconception. :)

Although not directly relevant to Z170 Titanium edition, I would like to offer an update to my current setup of MSI Gaming M5 with four sticks of HyperX 3000 predator.

After latest bios update, and after some work, I got fully stable under sustained workloads, 3200 - 12-15-15-28-280-1T with pretty tight seconds and thirds with only 1.64Volts !

ON AIR !

SA 1.35

I/O 1.25

Either I have an excellent ram kit ( I think Splave binned forty sticks to achieve

the same settings ) or a very good board, or both.

I really believe this is great performance from a 200$ board.

In fact a sub 200$ board, official MSRP is 189$ but you can find it even cheaper in the US. :D

Hi , I tested 1 kit of 4x4 go ripjaws V 3466 mhz c16 on MSI z170A xpower and Asus m8 hero .

It boots with xmp profile and 1T on Asus board but not on the xpower .(need 2T)

@nvidiaforever2 seems to me that the 1T 4 DIMM issue is fixed in BIOS 141 :)

4 DIMM 1T with manual primaries/All sub AUTO

attachment.php?attachmentid=3466&stc=1&d=1447412913

@Doug2507 this is how much you can gain from fine tuning each timing:

2 DIMM with manual primaries/All sub AUTO

attachment.php?attachmentid=3465&stc=1&d=1447412902

2 DIMM with almost all tight timings

attachment.php?attachmentid=3464&stc=1&d=1447412886

Edited by pepinorang