HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE

if anyone need install XP on MSi Skylake, i make guide and you can download here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_puoZw0ri9SVFJQjlpNHBLME0/

thanks Pepinorang and websmile for tips

weakness is NO HT support and USB not detect

so you must prepare your disk

i will fix soon usb issue

Trying not to be pissed off about this, but you just directly copied our guide/files and made it your own. Why not just reference our original guide, there's no vendor limitation.

Actually, if you go as far as checking Floppy support with nLite, you might as well use nLite to inject the AHCI drivers so the only thing left to do will be selecting MPS Multiprocessor via F5/F6 prompt during install.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dac25nmhi0qir4h/

Here is an XP where this has already been done.

Yes this is the best solution if you create your own image, our plan was to provide a solution without having to modify your existing ISO. For Win 7 this was not possible unless you install through a custom Win PE.

BTW I don't think it's allowed to link this kind of image in the forum due to legal implications.

i compare 4 dimm and 2 dimm, conclusion, i think no need for 4 dimm

here my test result, all test vdimm 2v, memory apacer 2800c17 4X4gb

2dimm bench spi

attachment.php?attachmentid=3486&stc=1&d=1447699089

2dimm bench xtu

attachment.php?attachmentid=3487&stc=1&d=1447699089

4dimm bench spi

attachment.php?attachmentid=3488&stc=1&d=1447699089

4dimm bench xtu

attachment.php?attachmentid=3489&stc=1&d=1447699089

2dimm if you can trust your hand, we no need 4 dimm, just push to the limit :D :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=3490&stc=1&d=1447699089

Edited by rhodie

One annoying thing however is that often after a bios flash the board enters a sort of mode where trying to reboot won't work 9/10 times. The errors are persistent and occur both at stock settings and under LN2. Both reboots after bios changes and reboot from windows gets stuck. You have to power off, reboot into bios because board reports failed boot, reboot again and it works most of the time. Sometimes it will take multiple tries to get successful boot. Sometimes a reflash of the bios will help cure this problem, but I'm hoping for a fix in upcoming bioses. I have seen this reported by another user so I'm not alone with this problem.

Bios 1.41 fixed the reboot issue. I can also confir that 4 dimm now work with 1T. Have also done some testing on 4 dimm vs 2 dimm and there is NO performance gain when pushing frequency and timings with both 2 dimm and 4 dimm.

However I have a problem with my board. It's probably just my board, and problem probably occurred during LN2. But it gets stuck with USB over current protection and shuts off after 15 seconds. I've tried to disconnect all USB devices of course but it doesn't help. Looked at the USB ports but they seem fine. Sometimes I can get the board to boot after resetting bios and powering on like 20 times. Then it works for a while, but after a few reboots it's there again. Is there any way to bypass this? Any way to hardmod it or something?

• Like 1

Bios 1.41 fixed the reboot issue. I can also confir that 4 dimm now work with 1T. Have also done some testing on 4 dimm vs 2 dimm and there is NO performance gain when pushing frequency and timings with both 2 dimm and 4 dimm.

However I have a problem with my board. It's probably just my board, and problem probably occurred during LN2. But it gets stuck with USB over current protection and shuts off after 15 seconds. I've tried to disconnect all USB devices of course but it doesn't help. Looked at the USB ports but they seem fine. Sometimes I can get the board to boot after resetting bios and powering on like 20 times. Then it works for a while, but after a few reboots it's there again. Is there any way to bypass this? Any way to hardmod it or something?

I saw that before on X99, probably some moisture somewhere.

Hardmod won't help, Wizerty tried to remove all USB IC and it didn't help on X99A XPOWER AC.

I think dRweEz told me that drying board in oven did help in its case.

If not -> RMA

Did this happen to anyone with this board? :

I did a quick 30minute LN2 session on 6700K (just for an exhibition). Well insulated, nothing got frosty except for the pot, obviously. Warmed it up, deinsulated, cleaned. Tested with the same 6700K, all fine. Now I come home, pop in an i5 6400 CPU and it cannot reboot/reset. Straight from the poweron it shows "00" postcode, sometimes "30". I have to power off psu, let it discharge, switch PSU on again and then it boots fine. What the hell?

I am very careful with hardware and I really cant recall doing anything that could cause this effect. The board seems fine in oter aspects / once it boots it passes all stability tests and all devices and peripherals work.

Edited by Aerou

Sounds like it didn't fully clear the CMOS values.

Dont think so. CMOS cleared right after LN2 session over. And about million frustrating times since then :P

I isolated it down to a CPU/motherboard combo. I have another i7 6700K to test and an Asus M8G.

For some reason i5 6400 + Z170 xpower cant reboot, stuck at 00 or 30.

But if I swap for an i7 6700K the same Z170 xpower reboots normally.

The i5 6400 that cant reboot on the xpower works fine and reboots on Asus M8G.

Edited by Aerou

Dont think so. CMOS cleared right after LN2 session over. And about million frustrating times since then :P

I isolated it down to a CPU/motherboard combo. I have another i7 6700K to test and an Asus M8G.

For some reason i5 6400 + Z170 xpower cant reboot, stuck at 00 or 30.

But if I swap for an i7 6700K the same Z170 xpower reboots normally.

The i5 6400 that cant reboot on the xpower works fine and reboots on Asus M8G.

I had reboot issues before as well. Bios 1.41 solved them for me on 6700Ks.

Hmm. Guess I panicked too soon. Something was wrong with the BIOS. CMOS clear didnt help.

But after reprogramming with the i7 6700K all works fine , even the i5 6400. BIOS 113 works, 120 works and 141 works.

All is good now.

Quite odd though. Maybe during components swapping, moving around , touching the MB etc., some electric charge got to the the BIOS chips and messed up some code, which caused it to derp with i5 but not i7 K?

Edited by Aerou