HWBOT Community Forums

[Overclocking Support Thread] MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TE

Yes, at a later date.

Only models with external clockgen can support it though, which means Z170A GAMING G45/M7/M9/XPOWER

Great news, MSI can now also support NON-K CPU OC on our motherboards without external clockgen! :celebration:

Check out this thread for BIOS and complete model list:

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=150253

Sorry if I didn't see it in the thread - I've flashed bios 143 and I don't see the option for CPU vdroop offset. I see an option for CPU loadline calibration control. Instead of the normal-enthusiastic options seen below, I just see mode 1-8. Are these the same settings? If so, is mode 8 or 1 enthusiastic? I'm assuming it's mode 8 and the labels are all that's changed.

MSI_SnapShot_14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if I didn't see it in the thread - I've flashed bios 143 and I don't see the option for CPU vdroop offset. I see an option for CPU loadline calibration control. Instead of the normal-enthusiastic options seen below, I just see mode 1-8. Are these the same settings? If so, is mode 8 or 1 enthusiastic? I'm assuming it's mode 8 and the labels are all that's changed.

MSI_SnapShot_14.jpg

Sorry for my late answer, I just got back from vacations.

We changed Vdroop/Loadline calibration layout, naming and settings from BIOS 141 because it was recurrently unclear for some end-users.

- Mode 1 = +0.055v load

- Mode 2 = +0.02v load

- Mode 3 = -0.002v to -0.004v

Tested with Prime95 at 1.4v, I didn't test other modes yet but Mode 8 is definitely not the best.

Can you go tighter that or whats up?

Not even 21 or twcl 10?

@Random It seems 4000 ratio has some issues with E-Die (AFR/D-Die are fine) on latest BIOS, but it works fine if you boot at 99MHz baseclock, then adjust in OS.

Just a quick and dirty test below, 4000 12-18-18 is no problem. :)

OS crash at 4080 with those timing, to be continued...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3742&stc=1&d=1452503771

Edited by pepinorang
  • Like 1

Those have to be some of the strongest e'die i've seen :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It's not only the kit, trust me ;)

I compared with this kit myself and XPOWER can bench tRCD/tRP 1 value tighter than some other vendor.

Same for my AFR at LN2 (11-15-15 vs 11-16-16) and might be the same for B-Die (I quickly tested once today and could POST at 3866 12-11-11 1.85v but unstable).

• Like 1

damn.. I am going to have to come out of vacation breifly and bust out my binned afr again and try another crack at it. on impact 12 18 18 3866 1.88 was no issue and 13 19 19 4k was doable but very difficult

I guess HOT bios was messed up. cuz I had waaaaay different results...

damn.. I am going to have to come out of vacation breifly and bust out my binned afr again and try another crack at it. on impact 12 18 18 3866 1.88 was no issue and 13 19 19 4k was doable but very difficult

I guess HOT bios was messed up. cuz I had waaaaay different results...

Look closer at my screenshots man, I used the HOT v2 BIOS. ;)

You can also ask HOT participants, BIOS is running 200% perfect with AFR!

However if you try to compare Mini-ITX board with ATX you're doing it wrong...

Z170I GAMING PRO is 130~150MHz better than XPOWER on RAM and I believe it's the same for Impact.

Edited by pepinorang
  • Like 1

I said breifly.. anyhow../. i changed my mind.. But even in comparison to ocf which did 12-17 17 3733 i think... ... impact is just the most recent thing I played with.. anyways I decided not to... as it would entail stopping what I am currently doing on the xpower board. which is picking out watercooling compnents and modparts. to build a matx rig for actually working...

but yeah theres no reason that I'd be able to do anybetter then I did before since I had hot v2 when I decided to stop using this board for benches...

Edited by Random

• 2 weeks later...
HOT better than 143 for 3866 1t? Can't even boot it with capable sticks.

Just checked 3600. Couldn't boot .05v less than I used for 3733 32m. Booted in higher vdimm then dropped in win, no issue running .05 below.

HOT is based on 143, no change for MFR/D-Die/E-Die/B-Die it only improve AFR. 3866 1T with E-Die is easy here but for 4000 I have to boot at 99MHz bclk then +4100 is fine. Same for 3866 with B-Die, need to boot 99MHz.

Edited by pepinorang

You mean you need more volts to pass 32M than to boot right?

So far, I only tested two kits of B-Die very quickly as I needed to return those same day I got them. :(

Both kits could pass 32M at 3866 12-12-12-28-220-1T with auto subs.

Both kits needed about 1.82v to POST and load WinXP.

For 32M, G.Skill TridentZ needed 1.88v while Geil Dragon needed 1.92v.

Here is a dirty 32M I did then (Don't blame me for the eff, it's just a one shot on fresh untrimmed/untweaked XP, Lsc1, Maxmem, Waza, all subs auto besides tWR 16 and tREFI 65535):

attachment.php?attachmentid=3833&stc=1&d=1453950678

Edited by pepinorang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...