HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT Country Cup 2015 thread.

newlife

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good questions here :celebration:

Oh, and one more just to make sure: All components have to be retail and not ES? Or ES allowed?

Retail hardware only, engineering samples not allowed. Hardware must be launched before the start of the competition.

Also, Titan cards, are we placing these in 7 and 9 series or are they their own?

And are there any ruling on i3 6320 CPU being restricted due to availability?

Titan cards are placed in the family they're launched in. So,

• Titan, Titan Black, Titan-Z => GeForce GTX 700 series
  • Titan X => GeForce 900 series

Core i3 6320 has been launched, no restriction due to low availability in the Country Cup.

More questions about NV:

- how about Quadro vs Geforce from the same generation?

- 9800 is considered different family from 8800?

- 7800 and 7900 are considered the same family? G70 and G71 are quite different from each other :)

Just to be sure - only one score per person counts for each stage, right?

Correct. I will highlight this on the rules page. Sometimes it's the most obvious things that we forget on the competition page, but just like any other Country Cup, one person can only contribute once to each of the stages.

Thanks for highlighting this!

(sorry to those with minimal activity in their country, but this is how the Country Cup works)

How does the scoring work exactly? Is the average score over all your subs, so a country that only subs one score (say 8 core in the Geekbench stage) won't be bogged down by the other scores and will win by not submitting anything else. Or will a country that submits 5 scores be ranked higher than a country that submits 4 scores no matter what the average is? Or is your total score divided by 5?.

This is correct for all stages, except the first (nvidia hwpts) and last stage (gpupi). Countries are ranked by 1) how many of the required scores have been made and 2) the average score of the relevant subs of the country. So, firstly it's important to make all the submissions, then secondly to get the best average.

Yes, there will be heavy bottle-necking by the slower scores. But that's just something you have to take into account when organizing the submissions ...

As for the Nvidia stage: as some already pointed out: you need 10 scores by 10 people with 10 graphic cards from different families. What matters is not the benchmark score, but the hardware points. It is up to you to figure out which cards are the best pick for this stage.

- DDR3L and DDR3 both fall under the DDR3 category

Just to make things clear. Memory categories are the following only ?

DDR SD-RAM

DDR2 SDRAM

DDR3 SDRAM

DDR4 SDRAM

EDO RAM

FB-DIMM DRAM

FPM RAM

RDRAM

SDR SDRAM

Correct. There is no distinction between normal, low-power, or so-dimm format.

One person can submit once per stage, but can submit on all stages ^^

Correct

I have a question about XTU 1 -> 8c stage.

Only processors with real physical cores can participate on selected stage? Like celeron G470, 465, 460, 440 for 1c, or it can be a i5-3570K with 1 core active, for example?

Good question, physical cores only

Vantage does not matter. Stage is all about 3DMark 06.

Best submission per person for a country should win as always. If you have other scores (lower HW points) with different VGA in the stage, then they should not be taken into account.

Change the question to two GPUs then, simply put would it go back to another submission if the old top score drops so its not top anymore?

rewriten example below.

Another one about Hardware points and stage1.

How will the points be calculated? I assume its the HW points when the stage end but lets take an example to show what I wonder.

I submit 2 results with lets say a 560ti and a 570

First out is a win with the 560ti for 35 HW points, after that do I manage to get a win with the 570 aswell for 44 HW points, this updates our 500series score to 44HW points from the 570s but the Sandbag masters upload 3 beter 570 scores the last day and my 570 submission is now only worth 24 points while my 560ti is still worth 35 HW points.

Would I get 24 points or 35 points in the final ranking in a case like this?

Edited by lanbonden

Yes, that should be correct, but it would be good if we have official confirmation.

Technically you can submit in all stages and only your best sub will be counted in your country total.

Unless the engine is broken, if anyone else from your country submits with another card different from your best, then your score with that one should not block his score.

Example:

1. you submit:

- 560Ti: 44pts

- GTX280: 39pts

2. A fellow submits:

- GTX280: 28pts

Even when your GTX280 sub is better than his, your current best is with 560Ti, so your GTX280 gets invalidated for the comp and his subs count to the total.

That's how the engine is supposed to work, if I'm not wrong.

If points update due to other users inflating points or pushing your sub to lower place, then it should adjust itself.

But...maybe we need to carefully pick manually. Honestly I don't know for sure, so an explanation would be needed.

I don't think there had been such case since now and maybe it is not implemented at all...

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Going to require a LOT of communication. Unless there's a way for HWBot to automate the process?

EDIT:

Core i3 6320 has been launched, no restriction due to low availability in the Country Cup.

Can't find it anywhere in the US. Not even on eBay. Hope it starts showing up at some point.

Edited by xxbassplayerxx

The Country Cup requires a lot of communication, yes. It is possible (and has happened) that someone blocks another user from contributing because he submitted with multiple hardware. Also, the engine will not find the best combination of scores for you. If you have a 50pts score in category X and 40pts in category Y and another user has 45pts in category X and none in categoy Y, the engine will consider the 50pts your contribution to the country average instead of your friend's 45pts and your 40pts.

The Novice Nimble competitions are similar in concept like the Country Cup. Here's a visualization we made for the Novices:

noviceNimbleExpl.png

The Country Cup requires a lot of communication, yes. It is possible (and has happened) that someone blocks another user from contributing because he submitted with multiple hardware. Also, the engine will not find the best combination of scores for you. If you have a 50pts score in category X and 40pts in category Y and another user has 45pts in category X and none in categoy Y, the engine will consider the 50pts your contribution to the country average instead of your friend's 45pts and your 40pts.

The Novice Nimble competitions are similar in concept like the Country Cup. Here's a visualization we made for the Novices:

noviceNimbleExpl.png

No, you're misunderstanding what Lanbonden is trying to say. What you and Infra pointed out is all clear.

The problem is that HW points change when people submit scores so that they will jump around during the competition. So score submitted in the middle of the competition will probably not have the same HW points as in the end. So how will you manage this since scores that maybe worse in a family compared to a familymember when submitted and therefor not counted. But in the end of the competition things might have changed so that particular score is actually the best in that family. Will that score then count again, or will that first score that was better at the beginning stand?

No, you're misunderstanding what Lanbonden is trying to say. What you and Infra pointed out is all clear.

The problem is that HW points change when people submit scores so that they will jump around during the competition. So score submitted in the middle of the competition will probably not have the same HW points as in the end. So how will you manage this since scores that maybe worse in a family compared to a familymember when submitted and therefor not counted. But in the end of the competition things might have changed so that particular score is actually the best in that family. Will that score then count again, or will that first score that was better at the beginning stand?

This is a good point, does the engine recheck each submission when the standings are updated or does it do it only once at time of submission to see which is first place?

The amount of point 'drift' will probably be minimal unless its a first place score that moves to second but it does mean that you will have to check and resubmit scores at the end of the contest if the standings are not automatically recalculated based on every submission during the competition.

I believe that's the implied and intended result

Well, it feels a bit...random? it doesn't make sense to have it this complicated, it just confuses people and no one wants to lose on technicalities. It's enough drama on Hwbot as it is :)

It like having a hundred metre race and "yes, you came first, but remember that guy, he did a really good start, and that guy there actually had the top speed, and that guy there ran with wierd shoes. We have to have this jury decide who won"

Just keep in mind , that best things in life ... are the simple things.

Tasos

:D

KISS ftw :D

Older generation ES allowed or no ES at all?

From the competition site.

Limitations

a videocard manufactured by Nvidia

Use 1 videocard core(s) in total.

A verification screenshot is required.

Please attach a picture of your overclocking rig.

Retail hardware only, engineering samples not allowed. Hardware must be launched before the start of the competition.

I've got a big question, is partial hardware sharing allowed?

What do I mean (as an example – Nvidia stage):

We arrange meeting of ukrainian overclockers, bringing together the strongest hardware. Each comrade will submit a result with his own graphics card, but using a same rig (Haswell-E, Skylake).

On the one hand, full-out OC for Country Cup, the other is too big advantage above those countries, which have no possibility to organize such meeting. I’d like to know the opinion of administration & community on this issue. Thanks for attention!

Edited by StingerYar

I've got a big question, is partial hardware sharing allowed?

What do I mean (as an example – Nvidia stage):

We arrange meeting of ukrainian overclockers, bringing together the strongest hardware. Each comrade will submit a result with his own graphics card, but using a same rig (Haswell-E, Skylake).

On the one hand, full-out OC for Country Cup, the other is too big advantage for those countries, which have no possibility to organize such meeting. I’d like to know the opinion of administration & community on this issue. Thanks for attention!

Yeah that's allowed as it's the point scoring hardware that matters not everything else