HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School - Season 2?

Massman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stages are pretty much decided on but would want some input about timing of the competition.

1) What do you think about the round lenght of 1 month? To long/short with only a few stages each round?

2) When is a good time to start it? I was looking at starting it after the Country cup and the hollidays as I have a feeling no one wants to bench over Xmas/new year. Here in Sweden id say it would be fine to have first stage from 1-31 of january, is this ok for the rest of the world aswell? Wait another month to get a break after the hollydays and Country cup?

1 - Depends on how many rounds you are anticipating. For me, I didn't much like the staggered approach of overlapping rounds, but maybe I'm alone in that. So if its 5 rounds, I would rather them be 2 months long and no break than a month with a break in between.

2 - Whenever! Holidays are busy for everyone but new year, new season seems to fitting.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

• Crew

Looking from last year country cup, there was almost no category for oldschoolers. So I think lets take a break this month and continue in November. Many people just have time in the holidays to bench. For some it may be the other way round but its like everytime you cant make it right for everyone.

About the stages, I could imagine making it a little bit more straight forward by focusing on one socket each month. Lets select the classic benchmarks, CPU-Z, pifast, superpi 1m / 32m, wprime 32m / 1024m, 3DMark01 and maybe one special stage. This special stage could be an efficiency challenge or what ever. But the main goal is to trash the old records and become the king of the HOF.

1) What do you think about the round lenght of 1 month?

In terms of round length, I personally believe one month is better. I believe two months is too long and either generates boredom or complacency in the form of procrastination. Having said that, I know the lower divisions in the Challenger series are more old school-focused. So there ought to be some consideration paid towards overclockers who wish to participate in both the Challenger series and OSIBS, either in terms of hardware overlap or time to submit.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm interesting in, preliminary, what part of year or month Old school Season-2 competition to plan starts?

All stages are decided upon so there should be an announcment when Massman and the moderator team are ready with the rest of the work for setting up the competition.

Expect season 2 to start early next year tho :)

About calculating win places. In Round One each round was individual for win places. It is not interesting, it will be better to sum all points for 5-th stages and at the end of the 5-th stage make calculation of middle place points. Sum all points for 5 stages / divided to 5 stages and result will be absolute win place. Also it will be interesting what will be a prize retro Fund with interesting retro HW.

• 2 months later...

I want to participate as well, but don't have most of the hardware required.

Looking for slot A combo from quite long time, but can't find anything cheap.

Will definitely see if I have time for socket A though.

Same here, no idea why everything Slot A is so expensive... hard to justify paying $200 for a motherboard that old. Can you just jam the CPU into a Slot 1 board???

Same here, no idea why everything Slot A is so expensive... hard to justify paying $200 for a motherboard that old. Can you just jam the CPU into a Slot 1 board???

Nope think they fit physical but not electrical so to say. And woot! $200 for a motherboard, Think I gave like $1 for the MSI 6195 I got but killed my CPU so waiting for a new one that hopefully arives in time.

Usual prices I see are $40-50 and up for a decent motherboard, plus shipping from USA is not an option, because it will be rather expensive in the end. Will try to find something cheap locally. I have the Innovatek OC card though, but no system to use it with :D

Never played with slot A (I am too young) and that's why want to try.

Some years ago I decided to collect AMDs only and stay away from Intel, because if I start to buy old Intels as well, then I don't see where I could store all this stuff.

And ofcourse I have so many things that need to actually bench some day, adding Intel to that would mean chances to bench everything will get even smaller.

But... maybe I could get at least s.478 to try, should be possible to find something really cheap.

However, the trend is that old and valuable stuff gets harder and harder to find nowadays with prices going higher. If you want the best motherboards from those old sockets and if you actually find one, they are usually not so cheap as they were like 2-3 years ago.

Even socket A/462 is getting much harder to source, part of the problem being many CPUs went to gold-diggers :(

Same applies to older CPUs on other sockets.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed