HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Rev4 Tech Slides

Massman

Just wanted to share this document with you since it contains some features that have been requested in the last couple of days.

This PDF was created for the staff meeting of roughly 10 days ago. In that meeting, we discussed the more technical details of the upcoming revision to find out whether they are technically possible and, of course, possible within the time-frame (end of february). Most of what's in the document is effectively planned, but of course it's always possible certain features turn out to be more time-extensive than originally planned and are postponed to a next revision.

In any case, here's the link: HWBOT Rev4 Tech

Do not like:

1. Competition points for Xtreme Overclockers League.

Not everyone has fair chances of entering a competition, no matter how good of an overclocker you are. (Examples: Latvia, USA, Russia,etc.)

2. No more possibility to update/delete scores.

When I rebench something, I no longer want COLARDYN IT GCV to go bust on hosting my old scores which are now useless.

The competition points allocated to the user total will, unlike what the tech doc states, not be limited to a specific percentage or a cap. We plan to give and take away competition points based on a fixed timeframe. For example: only competition points obtained in the last 3 months will be allocated to your personal account.

The weight of the different competition types will be evaluated once we have the new point scheme up and running.

As for the second remark: part of the reason why we will lock results is to reduce the amount of recalculation errors. The engine works very well with new submissions, but updating sometimes give a problem. Another reason is that we want to provide the end-user with charts as accurate as possible; nowadays you can update your air cooling result when you ran LN2 and the air cooling data is lost which means less charting data. Lastly, we also want to provide as much reference scores as possible which could be used for this feature in the future: http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13635.

The above feature could, by the way, also serve as an error-correcting mechanism to reward 'better' scores with more points.

The competition points allocated to the user total will, unlike what the tech doc states, not be limited to a specific percentage or a cap. We plan to give and take away competition points based on a fixed timeframe. For example: only competition points obtained in the last 3 months will be allocated to your personal account.

The weight of the different competition types will be evaluated once we have the new point scheme up and running.

Does it mean I can organise competition with a one-man qualifier, win it, get points, then make one-man "Worldwide Final", win it, get more points?

As for others - sorry, my competition is invite only...

@ Christian Ney: check out the part of the 'Hardware Library'

I like it, by and large.

On competitions, if I were to throw one and get some gigabyte/msi/adata/anyothersponsors sponsorship and a banner, would that count? Or does it have to be gbt/msi/etc. themselves throwing it?

We haven't exactly pinned down what criteria to handle for competitions; I guess that's something we'll figure out as we go along. I could imagine, however, user-created competitions to get the status of level1 even if it's live or anything like that. It's important that even the basic competitions are open (to a certain extend). Having a live 'worldwide' competition with 5 invited overclockers would not be considered 'open'.

The reason why we only accept our own competitions and those of partners as valid competitions is because there's a communication line between us and our partners. This means that we can provide our opinion on the competition format and, if necessary, point out problems and give suggestions to fix them. For competitions held by non-partners at external websites we do not have this option. In addition, it's also easier to manage: in our database we can check or uncheck a box and points will automatically be awarded to participants. With external websites, this becomes a whole lot more difficult.

Thirdly, of course it's also an evil scheme to get manufacturers to start supporting HWBOT. HWBOT still is a non-profit organisation and we expect funding for this project to come from vendors and those who benefit commercially (directly or indirectly) from HWBOT. Of course not contributing for the competition points is not the strongest argument for those parties to support us, but even if it helps for one percent I think it's okay.

@ Christian Ney: check out the part of the 'Hardware Library'

We haven't exactly pinned down what criteria to handle for competitions; I guess that's something we'll figure out as we go along. I could imagine, however, user-created competitions to get the status of level1 even if it's live or anything like that. It's important that even the basic competitions are open (to a certain extend). Having a live 'worldwide' competition with 5 invited overclockers would not be considered 'open'.

The reason why we only accept our own competitions and those of partners as valid competitions is because there's a communication line between us and our partners. This means that we can provide our opinion on the competition format and, if necessary, point out problems and give suggestions to fix them. For competitions held by non-partners at external websites we do not have this option. In addition, it's also easier to manage: in our database we can check or uncheck a box and points will automatically be awarded to participants. With external websites, this becomes a whole lot more difficult.

Thirdly, of course it's also an evil scheme to get manufacturers to start supporting HWBOT. HWBOT still is a non-profit organisation and we expect funding for this project to come from vendors and those who benefit commercially (directly or indirectly) from HWBOT. Of course not contributing for the competition points is not the strongest argument for those parties to support us, but even if it helps for one percent I think it's okay.

Makes sense, thanks for explaining why the sponsors only is in there.

I think it'd be great to be able to have user-thrown contests as level1 (assuming they're big enough and open, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...