HWBOT Community Forums

Gigabyte Z170X-SOC Force - DDR4

Great news!

Figured out how to set RTL and IOL!

Turns out GB has them in a different order with different labels. Here's an image that has the ASRock labels on it so you know how to enter them when looking at Timing Configurator:

7d570d26_GBTimings.jpeg

EDIT: And reversed in text to match ASRock... be very careful not to mix up the zeros and ones.

RTL (CHA) D0	=	Round Trip Latency (DIMM0/Rank0)
  D1	=	Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank0)
RTL (CHB) D0	=	Round Trip Latency (DIMM0/Rank1)
  D1	=	Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank1)
IO-L (CHA) D0	=	IoLatR0D0
   D1	=	IoLatR0D1
IO-L (CHB) D0	=	IoLatR1D0
   D1	=	IoLatR1D1

As a follow up here... I didn't have it all figured out :rolleyes:

Thanks to @crustytheclown, I do now (I think)! I'll try to get some BIOS images next week but for the time being, I hope text will do.

When benching with two DIMM's, this is what the BIOS will look like to get 40/40/56/57/4/4/6/6 or 40/56/40/57/4/6/4/6, depending on how you like to write it.

[b]Memory Timings Channel A:[/b]
Round Trip Latency (DIMM0/Rank0)		40
Round Trip Latency (DIMM0/Rank1)		Auto
Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank0)		56
Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank1)		Auto
IoLatR0D0					4
IoLatR1D0					Auto
IoLatR0D1					6
IoLatR1D1					Auto

[b]Memory Timings Channel B:[/b]
Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank0)		57
IoLatR0D0					4
IoLatR1D0					Auto
IoLatR0D1					6
IoLatR1D1					Auto

Edited by xxbassplayerxx

• 2 weeks later...
As a follow up here... I didn't have it all figured out :rolleyes:

Thanks to @crustytheclown, I do now (I think)! I'll try to get some BIOS images next week but for the time being, I hope text will do.

When benching with two DIMM's, this is what the BIOS will look like to get 40/40/56/57/4/4/6/6 or 40/56/40/57/4/6/4/6, depending on how you like to write it.

[b]Memory Timings Channel A:[/b]
Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank0)		56
IoLatR0D0					4
IoLatR1D0					Auto
IoLatR0D1					6
IoLatR1D1					Auto

[b]Memory Timings Channel B:[/b]
Round Trip Latency (DIMM1/Rank0)		57
IoLatR0D0					4
IoLatR1D0					Auto
IoLatR0D1					6
IoLatR1D1					Auto

This was around the same settings I got with my G.Skill DDR4-4000 kit. Im starting to see a trend that anything above the 3866MHz range on E Die and G.Skill kits arent liked by any mobo. Ive tried on several Z170 boards(ASR OC Formula, GB SOC Force, ASUS M8Hero) and no matter what I try I have only been able to boot into windows once with lackluster results at 4000MHz.

Im going to be near a microcenter and try to get a D Die this weekend to see if theres an improvement with IMC.

On a positive note, I got a few amazing results with 65/65/65/65/6/6/6/6 at 3866MHz

I dont think I saved the score but even with 66/66/66/66/7/7/7/7 I managed to get 2417.0 on MaxMemm: http://hwbot.org/submission/3038781_wiggles5289_maxxmem_ddr4_sdram_2417_marks

Ill be following up more on this RAM/Mobo. Im loving Skylake and the Z170 SOC Force so far.

• Administrators

I am no big fan of Gskill anymore, but I tested a lot of kits and on OCF and Hero it was easy for me to get 4000 stable, clocks from 18-20 down to 12-20 and 13-19, depending on the kit, on some I had to use 2t, at 4133 I always had to use 2T CR, no matter which kit, it might also be problem of my IMC because I saw this also on other brands of mems I tested. D-Die and 4000 was easy as well, but required lots of volts already at 16-20. Maybe you try 2T to see improvement, as said I think it is more IMC matter for me than mems

lol I dunno how I feel about g.skill either right now. seems that the way to go is buy a ton of the lower bins ad bin sticks your self...

I got a 4266kit that is .1v apart and the heatsink literally fell off of one side on one of the sticks...

also a 3733 stick I bought was straight up dead.

not like corsair is any better though...

when is kingston gonna release AFR?

• Crew
Have you tried different twcl values, Albrecht? Try twcl8-11 one after the other, sometimes you need special wcl value to make a Cas Value boot and work

Tried all that mate, left a bit clueless of what to try next. For me the board is fab till 3600MHz, then it starts to loose some ground on the competitors regarding tight timings. But I'm still not 100% confident about my own experience level on this platform :D

• Administrators

Leaves me a bit clueless, differences on vendors are big at settings needed, I noticed this on Asus and Asrock I tested - try tRDWR_sg and dd set by hand to 11-11 or 12-12, this might be worth trying, apart from this good luck, I haven´t tested GA and do not intend to do

• 2 weeks later...
Guest george.kokovinis

Folks

Two days ago, one of my valued customers gave me a gift.

A Z170X Gaming 7.

Business is slow these days, so I said I would give it a shot.

Please note, that at least in my country, the board is more expensive than

an Asus Maximus VIII Hero.

I am obliged to bluntly state, that I have never hated another board in my

life that much.

Where do I start ?

Bios.

What a mess.

F6F. Latest. The outlook reminded me of bioses a decade ago.

Basic features are absent.

Voltages.

The board seriously undervolts everything. Even at LLC high, cpu voltage

set in bios is 0.02V more than the real thing at idle in windows.

1.35 is actually 1.33 and under load it fluctuates down to 1.315 !

Memory. Ahaha...Oh my...

I used a set of 4x4gb HyperX Predator 3000.

Max it will boot is 3100 / 12-15-15-28-280-1T at 1.70V.

Then I tried my very best mems, that Websmile ( Michael ) sold me.

G.Skill Ripjaws V - 3600, Samsung e-die, 4x4gb.

These specific sticks ( very high binned ) do easily on my Asus Maximus

VIII extreme, 3600 / 11-17-17-28-280-1T with 1.76V,

or 3733 /12-18-18-28-280-1T with 1.72V.

With 1.20V I/O and 1.25V VccSA.

Tried with one stick, two sticks, four sticks, up to 1.85V ( I doubt the board actually delivers this voltage ), with up to1.30/1.30 I/O and sa.

Nope.

Best achieved is

3600 - 14/18/18/28/280/2T at 1.68V.

3733 is a no no even at default settings ( XMP ) and so is 1T command

even at default settings.

All in all, the board is worse than the cheapo ( price related ) MSI Gaming M5 that I had for two weeks.

Shame.

Thank God I did not pay for it.

I put it back in the box. My nephew is building a gaming PC.

It will be a nice Christmas gift.

Edited by george.kokovinis

• Crew

Could we keep the thread about the SOC Force only plz... Now George Gamers don't run 3866C12. Most will barely even buy high speed memory... Now I've too tested a few gaming boards (read non-ROG, Xpower or Formula) and most have issues with dialing in high speed memory... I'm already happy they can boot and run XMP :)

Usually Gigabyte boards (besides the X99 Champion and Z97 OC series which were fab) in general provide Tweakers a stiff challenge... but it can be done. It just takes some time and patience to get there...

Back to the SOC Force plz!!

Guest george.kokovinis
Could we keep the thread about the SOC Force only plz... Now George Gamers don't run 3866C12. Most will barely even buy high speed memory... Now I've too tested a few gaming boards (read non-ROG, Xpower or Formula) and most have issues with dialing in high speed memory... I'm already happy they can boot and run XMP :)

Usually Gigabyte boards (besides the X99 Champion and Z97 OC series which were fab) in general provide Tweakers a stiff challenge... but it can be done. It just takes some time and patience to get there...

Back to the SOC Force plz!!

Absolutely correct.

My apologies for this post in this thread.

No bad intention from my side.

Just thought I would share some experience.

My apologies again.

Absolutely correct.

My apologies for this post in this thread.

No bad intention from my side.

Just thought I would share some experience.

My apologies again.

I had similar issues with the SOC Force on earlier BIOSes. It's possible that the fixes that happened a few releases ago on the SOC Force are still being tested for release on other boards. :o

• 2 weeks later...
yep I think it's a safe bet they will be AFR.

ya I just grabbed a 2x4gb kit of hyper x savage 2666 c13 and pulled the spreaders off last night and finally got some afr. For $80 hopefully I can bin a couple and find 2 nice sticks. Sure beats spending $200+ on one kit g-skill e-die. I have trouble with xtu efficiency and e-die, but mfr/afr is great.

I still wonder where are the higher rated afr kits.