HWBOT Community Forums

Kaveri 3DMark social club :)

I was fairly disappointed with CPU mhz too but I also didn't work with vcore yet either. Basically just maxxed and ran what would run. Plan on trying to lower vCore and see if decrease in temps allows for more headroom.

Regarding ICs, I was going off what Gorod said and seems likely that's why he can hit 2666+ speeds.

I'm gonna break it down tomorrow as my testing today seems there's nothing else that I can test to give a significant boost. Might switch to either 8150 or Kabini. AMD is much easier to play than Intel at the moment :D

Dont give up yet m8 :celebration: , just need to figure out whats holding up the score and you are good ! Definitely not the cpu clocks (as they dont help much with overall score at all might just drop them for now until you get good scores and only use max for final run to boost 10-20 or so extra points :) ) , you got great gpu clocks , decent ram speed already . As Newlife already noted and judging by high score results from database most are using Win10 for kaveri 3dmark2013 runs , you might want to get Win 10 installed , in my case for example it boosted the score by a good 50+ points vs Win 7 ! And silly question - did you disable tessellation ? It is hard to tell but just in case you forgot to disable it you can count on another 90-100 "free" points :D

P.S. i dont know what IC's my memory got (its a pain in the ass to remove heatspreaders from dominator ram's :( ) , but seems like its a Hynix based kit . The only samsung's i have are single sided ones (unfortunately) that give poor efficiency/scores because of being sigle ranked despite insanely high clocks

Edited by Gorod

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love APU and i think this is a good start to bring it to the community again.

:celebration: Indeed its an extremely fun to play with toy , those APU's :) , and hopefully judging by rumors :D , more fine toys to be out soon , just saw some news about 7890K to be released very soon and whats really exciting maybe even AM4 based excavator apu's later on . That will give us something to play with until Zen is out hehe

I don't think AOD even supports Kaveri. //ninja-edit: apparently the latest version actually does!

The Stilt used to support AMD with enthusiast-grade software, but I don't think AMD is too bothered. Haven't heard of any recent tool that support the latest architectures.

The thing is that you cannot easily change the memory timings on anything newer than Richland. In Kaveri AMD introduced a completely overhauled and "vastly improved" (truth: FUBAR) memory controller. In order to change the timings on these controllers, you´ll need to create an array which contains all the timings and some other parameters. Once you have created the array, you´ll need to stop the PMU (PHY management unit) clock, write the "argument array" to certain register, send a interrupt to the PMU, wait it to ack, restart the PMU clock and hope the thing didn´t hang :rolleyes:

The timings "can" be changed through the PCI config space as usual, but changing them this way doesn´t have the same effect. When done from the bios the timings are being programmed properly by AGESA.

Take a wild guess which method AOD uses ;)

Hopefully AMD will use in the house designed IMC in 17h. These outsourced ones are either complete rubbish or their are just badly implemented into the design. Neither Steamroller or Excavator IMCs can support > DDR-2400 without tampering with the BCLK...

Do you have any insight on if things are improving at AMD?

I always felt the things you did for what basically are their enthusiast customers was under-appreciated. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, so I might be completely wrong. But if they want to re-capture some enthusiasts with the AM4 CPU and APUs, they'll need someone to give diehards the tools they need ...

Let´s put it this way. I got no truly in-depth technical information about 17h or AM4 platform in general, but based on the information I have the new stuff might be a quite hostile target for overclockers. Putting two completely differently targeted designs on the same infrastructure (AM4) is a huge compromise itself.

Also when you see both Intel and nVidia implementing high performance targeted nodes for their flag ship products while AMD is doing low power targeted node all the way... I´m not saying the 14nm LPP is completely rubbish, I´m just questioning it´s suitability for a high performance CPU. If you look at the difference of the two 14nm Intel nodes (P1272 & P1273), the high performance node used on Skylake does significally better than the efficiency / density optimized one used on Broadwell.

If the 17h happens to exceed my expectations and the other issues can be solved, then I have no issues in supporting the platform in the same way I have done in the past.

The Stilt Thank you so much for sharing some light and knowledge about upcoming architecture and about the reason behind AMD Overdrive timing option issues , and for all wonderful tools you've given to us ! :celebration: That was most interesting and educational read !

If the 17h happens to exceed my expectations and the other issues can be solved, then I have no issues in supporting the platform in the same way I have done in the past.
Best news ! Lets hope AMD delivers + new tools will equal as best times and generous gift for lots and lots of enthusiasts ! :)

P.S. attached some funny photos from last benching with Kaveri , looks like the little guy is into benching too :) , i already bought him(or her lol) some nuts so dont worry about bread hope those photos bring a smile and good mood to everyone :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=3756&stc=1&d=1452660470

attachment.php?attachmentid=3757&stc=1&d=1452660380

attachment.php?attachmentid=3758&stc=1&d=1452660380

attachment.php?attachmentid=3759&stc=1&d=1452660380

Edited by Gorod

Love the pics @Gorod. Is him/her a regular visitor?

@The Stilt - Always great to see you posting! Your insight into the AMD platforms has been amazing to follow over the years. You're one of the reasons that I still want to keep AMD parts around.

Fired up the Kaveri rig again last night and thought I was getting 1320mhz on RAM to pass FS but seems it was a fluke. Gonna stop testing FS and move on to other benches. Heard about the new 7890K and thought about getting one at release but think I'm gonna hold off till AM4. Really enjoying doing iGPU benching!

Like I mentioned previously, next iGPU rig will be the Kabini setup but don't think I can get the phase strapped to it just due to mounting.

filmbot The Mr. Squirrel the overclocker :) is now a regular visitor , ever since winter i started giving the birds some seeds and stuff and he joined the buffet ( poor birds cant get no food because of greedy squirrel now lol ) , i am very surprised of how clever they are . For example , as you can see theres a glass door to the porch , and while its closed the little guy will keep on eating even if i am right by glass watching him , squirrel is just watching me back while eating , the squirrels are not that dumb that we think of them lol :)

The moment i open the door , he grabs a piece and runs away with it , eats everything from seeds , bread , apples and even bananas ROFL

Anyways ... sorry for off topic hehe

That's awesome Gorod and closet thing I've had in Australia while benching that friendly is a whole heap of house sparrows which I had to stop feeding because I ended up with 20+ showing up daily

Just got some dice (4kg) so I'll finally be able to find out how good this 5.2ghz water 7650k is under cold but I have high hopes

4LQx3hz.jpg

Edit: @filmbot try adding some weight on top the cpu block as I use my ln2 pot on top when I use the h100 with kabini but only a small difference is made between stock cooler

Edit2: just realised that wouldn't work with a ss but don't rule out zip ties and/or rubber bands but when you have the will, there is always a way

Edited by newlife

newlife best of luck with that 5.2ghz water 7650k , hopefully it scales well with cold :celebration: Will be awaiting results with great interest !

I am also thinking about trying my already delidded 7400K with DI soon , not having big hopes as it only does 4.6 stable on Noctua NH-D15 (room temps) though but will see :)

filmbot just had a memory flash about last benching with 7700K and one interesting detail caught my attention , not sure why and whats causing it , but enabling C6 mode gave a couple hundred extra MHz on it , noticed it before with A88X-PRO and now same thing with Crossblade Ranger . I dont know if you tried it or not , just thought to mention it just in case

Where's CB at?

Because it dice I don't really know but based on a guess from previous cpus I would say about -80

Strong, strong core. I may just have to run down to MicroCenter tomorrow and pick up a 7870K :P

It doesn't run for more than a few seconds under load, 1440 was max stable I could get but couldn't beat Gorod's score because imc is too weak

It doesn't run for more than a few seconds under load, 1440 was max stable I could get but couldn't beat Gorod's score because imc is too weak

Yep, that is the real factor in uncorking these guys. Not sure if it's pure "IMC" or if it's the memory component of the iGPU. Guess I could start running Super Pi with iGPU disabled to see if it starts scaling past ~2666mhz.

EDIT:

I also did some tests to see if lowering amount of RAM dedicated to iGPU would help scale mhz but didn't notice anything.

Here's that 1440mhz run

image_id_1566473.png

http://hwbot.org/submission/3096652_

Oh and a rig picture featuring the Asus oc panel and the only drink to ever out sell coke know as farmers union iced coffee

awKjypo.jpg

CPU side didn't as well as hoped because the board is having issues but the gpu clocks awesome

Edit: Here's some 1m just because the efficiency is great vs the 7400k because of that extra cache and it scores 400ms faster with 300mhz lower clocks

http://hwbot.org/submission/3096634_

Edited by newlife

newlife 1440MHz on GPU - thats first time to see such numbers on Kaveri , very impressive ! And the score is with only DDR3-2400 , just noticed , would of smoked everything 3D if not for memory overclock issues ! :(

flanker is Win XP still best for Super PI 32M ? So far only tried it once on Win 7 and got horrible result times in comparison with others , without The Stilt's tweaker program "BullDozer Conditioner" though , so far the personal goal is to get to under 12 min and learn how to run it efficiently :) And also to figure out how to make GPU-Z display graphics adaptor info under Win XP so to have some fun with older 3dmark's in most "efficient" way , newer GPU-Z version's just freeze on loading (and will only close from task manager) and the older that dont freeze (GPU-Z 0.7.5. and older if not mistaken) wont display the GPU information properly

yes, it is stille the best to use winXP :) But I think, with good Kaveri/Godavari chip and LN2 is possible break AMD Superpi WR 32M. Kaveri is much more effective in this old benchamrk. Not much in 1M, but in 32M.

Seems like that is unlikely. Sub 10mins doesn't seem doable and to take AMD crown, would need to shave off almost 45s from that.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2466566_hivizman_superpi___32m_fx_8350_9min_19sec_828ms

Seems like that is unlikely. Sub 10mins doesn't seem doable and to take AMD crown, would need to shave off almost 45s from that.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2466566_hivizman_superpi___32m_fx_8350_9min_19sec_828ms

For sub 10mins in testing with the unefficient 7400k I would definitely say it's possible because when it was running at 5.7ghz it was looking at around 10m 45s if it passed and that was without the best efficiency because was using PSC when Sammy's would've been far more efficient but using a quad core plus Sammy's would've seen about 10m 15s based on the top 5ghz sub

Ran a few quick and dirty runs last night on the same OS as my FS runs and juuuust broke 13mins. No tweaking in OS or even BIOS, just run volts and up multi. Don't have a screen but had CPU @ 5200mhz, RAM @ 1200mhz and NB @ 1600/1800mhz (can't remember but didn't manually set, just auto).

So now I do feel better about getting that low, just didn't think Kaveri was gonna scale that well. Guess now I have something else to aim for :D

Also, I'll stop talking Pi, gotta keep this thread 3D! :nana:

I think, gold Kaveri chip and this record could be in history :) (some 6100 MHz 32M). If 5GHz Kaveri can hit around 12min, + 1GHz up....I beleive -2 minutes down at least. Or we can wait for Bristol Ridge, Im thinking, the OC will be similar as with Kaveri and IPC a bit better.

Pick up some very cheap Vengeance Pro 2x4gb 2400 c11-13-13 1.65v which have dual sided Samsung BYK0 Q die and this was 1.5v with full xmp settings and my 7650k that was only good for 2500 with PSC

/Pics/

Also improved my 7400k sub

http://hwbot.org/submission/3102711_

2k finally broke! :celebration:

I keep wanting to move away from this platform for others right now but the fact that I can try to hunt down a cheap RAM kit and get way better scores is really sucking me in!

Has anyone noticed a difference between 2x2gb and 2x4gb? Between both scores and speed potential?