HWBOT Community Forums

Controlled Overclocking Cryo Chiller

lnlcooling

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro-tip: a lot of high-profile hardware manufacturers are trying to connect (competitive) gaming with overclocking. To market your product to these groups, maybe focus your video on:

1) Running games are high image-quality

2) High overclocks

Try to focus on showing that your cooling will give competitive gamers an edge in things like counter-strike or popular MOBAs.

Pro-tip: a lot of high-profile hardware manufacturers are trying to connect (competitive) gaming with overclocking. To market your product to these groups, maybe focus your video on:

1) Running games are high image-quality

2) High overclocks

Try to focus on showing that your cooling will give competitive gamers an edge in things like counter-strike or popular MOBAs.

That's awesome! If you could be more specific. Gotta remember, I am still stuck in the 90's with gaming. The Nintendo 64 was the last console I owned. That's just being nakedly honest. The high overclocks side we have taken care of as we have a pro ordering an OCC tomorrow. But I need to know where to start with "counter-strike" and MOBA's."

• 3 weeks later...
I'm out :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll stick to old fashioned pouring... seems to work well enough!

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. There's some surprise news about to be broke out though. What if someone ends up breaking records? What if the control afforded by the investment wound up putting people in a whole new league? Remember on OC'ers they said it couldn't hold the fx... then... well that's not a question anymore. But what about the 5960x? I have one now brand new and dying to go cold... But someone else will be breaking the OCC out on the 5960x first. It's about to get a little more exciting . . .

Im suprised its not more expensive, I meen just think how many engineering hours they have already put into that thing and think about how many units they probably expect to sell

Yeah a ton of hours. But even more belief that we can do it. Thanks for the props! We'll be trying to make them accessible to as many people as possible. What is not being missed though is the capability and quality. We've made some design changes and enlarged the chuck a little and we're just about ready to roll. So stay tuned as the curtain is about to go up on some sick revelations!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7YZpW0h9z4o

This is the latest video of the OCC-HC cooling the FX8350 maintaining temp at -180C. We'll be moving up to the 5960x in the next week or so. The OCC will be maintaining a set point between -130c and -140c (wherever we set it). That's the exciting thing about the OCC wherever the set point is, there the temp is maintained. No thinking or guessing about pouring, or even the need for multi-person teams to cool vs overclock. Not to mention being able to have the sickest, coldest driest gaming rig!

Is the -180°C on the FX chip with the valves wide open or is it set to maintain that temperature? Can it go colder? Also, I noticed the 8350 is only set to 4 cores in the video. Can the OCC-HC hold temp when all cores are active?

EDIT to clarify: When going for max clocks and running single-threaded benchmarks, we'll run on one or two modules/cores to allow for the highest possible frequency. When doing multi-thread benchmarks, usually are cores/modules are active.

Edited by xxbassplayerxx

Is the -180°C on the FX chip with the valves wide open or is it set to maintain that temperature? Can it go colder? Also, I noticed the 8350 is only set to 4 cores in the video. Can the OCC-HC hold temp when all cores are active?

EDIT to clarify: When going for max clocks and running single-threaded benchmarks, we'll run on one or two modules/cores to allow for the highest possible frequency. When doing multi-thread benchmarks, usually are cores/modules are active.

The system is just regulating at -180C. This temp is from very close to the surface of the chip, but withing the wall of the chuck. So the actual surface in the mid-diameter of the chuck is likely lower. I have run the OCC a lot down at -186 t -190 on but I think at that point, the inner diameter of the chuck is closer to -196C -199C as the LN2 boiling slows considerably and there is less flow in the purge. (For the non-cryo-engineering: LN2 gets really calm as the temp drops down by -190C, whereas when the temp rises it begins boiling more and more furiously to the point of flashing - like what happens when you drip water into a frying pan, but at -80C rather than frying pan temps. So LN2 at -190C is literally calm, cool and collected!)

It is set at four cores for the higher clock in the last vid. Could probably have gone higher clocks if I understood the correlation between voltages better. I was basically guessing and trying to get to 6.7 on 4 cores. Here is a little older vid of 8 cores at 5.7 ghz. The OCC holds it down fine. CPU-z shows clocks and cores at 1:3.. Fast forward to 4:23 to see the OCC running during benchmark.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed a new build with new enclosure. Looking good! Thought we’d have a little fun with a heat gun! We did run the OCC on our new 5960x and the results were fantastic. Ran 5.3 ghz and there was no temp swing during benchmarks (seriously, it gained 1 degree). But our pro colleague who is getting the OCC next week wants to break with the news with his video of his sweetness-5960x and verified results.

LN2 vs 1700 watt heat gun!

Edited by lnlcooling

Just completed a new build with new enclosure. Looking good! Thought we’d have a little fun with a heat gun! We did run the OCC on our new 5960x and the results were fantastic. Ran 5.3 ghz and there was no temp swing during benchmarks (seriously, it gained 1 degree). But our pro colleague who is getting the OCC next week wants to break with the news with his video of his sweetness-5960x and verified results.

LN2 vs 1700 watt heat gun!

Curious to see who this mysterious pro colleague is :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been running some benchmarks using the OCC. Results seem pretty fair. Is it normal to run a 5960x at -80C to -100C through multiple benchmarks at 5ghz with good stability? That's where I set it for the benchmarks I just submitted this evening. It seems like others are running benchmarks at lower temps (but maybe that's because of the temp swings of traditional LN2 cooling. When I ran the system at -128C at 5ghz it seemed less stable. Maybe something to do with the electrodynamics vs thermodynamics of the ultra cooled system in the purge case? I'm going to be posting some video of the OCC from set-up to benching in a few...

Did you ever list the batch for the 5960X? I would expect much higher clocks on LN2, even at these temperatures. Many can get 4.7-4.9 stable on air. So 140° colder should yield reasonably higher clocks. Most 5960X are capable of at least 5.4-5.5 fully stable.

Generally, chips don't become unstable as the temperatures creep down, they just have a temperature point at which they stop functioning altogether. My only thought is that because you haven't insulated, some of the cold may be creeping towards the other IC's on the board that may have much higher cold bug temperatures and causing those to crash.

Edited by xxbassplayerxx

5GHZ is achievable on cheap Single Stage coolers :(

Maybe your TIM is bad or maybe there is not enough mass in the head? where are you measuring the temperatures?

Right at the surface of the cooling head. The weird thing is at lower temps, the chip is less stable. Maybe a bad chip? I actually think the problem is something to do with my settings. I just got a reply on another thread that shows how to set the all of the voltages to static. Right now all the volts are on auto except vcore and cpu input. I'll bet that's the prob. The info I got is screenshots from bios on a 5830, but I'm willing to give the volts a try. The temps are definitely stable at whatever temp although the TIP could be an issue. I'm using arctic alumina. It seems more smeary than the past pastes.

Right at the surface of the cooling head. The weird thing is at lower temps, the chip is less stable. Maybe a bad chip? I actually think the problem is something to do with my settings. I just got a reply on another thread that shows how to set the all of the voltages to static. Right now all the volts are on auto except vcore and cpu input. I'll bet that's the prob. The info I got is screenshots from bios on a 5830, but I'm willing to give the volts a try. The temps are definitely stable at whatever temp although the TIP could be an issue. I'm using arctic alumina. It seems more smeary than the past pastes.

Definitely need to tune the voltages manually as well as use better paste.

You need to be using either Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid Extreme for paste.