HWBOT Community Forums

XFX 9800 GTX Black Edition

nickolp1974

gpu-z it had a issue reading the gpu rev on G92 , read at all A2!!

you should check on the chip die what rev it is !! DK is a custom implementation so that was on market after reference , it use for sure B1 rev chip!

need to look after some reference card from first batch with reference cooler design! , from evga , zotac etc.. but if the card is A2 with Samsung ram´s it´s for nothing , should be A2 with hynix!!! that are very hard to catch one!

Edited by nachtfalke

People are making this complicated for no good reason :P

why do you say that? I just tried my best with the limited knowledge I have. Not everyone can be an expert after 2+ years.

Is there a mod you know I can try. or a way I can figure it out myself with multimeter. I saw some people mentioning supplying vr_enable pin with 3.3v so I figured cutting it would be similar. I needed to cut it anyway since i didnt epower memory.

Please tell me if there is something you know. I have spent so much time modding.

For the Coldslow/coldbug?

Sure. It's easy. Accept it and work within it. Enjoy not having to worry about frost. Everyone is on a level playing field because even after all this time, no-one has found a workaround.

Even if you solve it, it will become an arms race at -80 or -120 or -160 and then the leaderboard will re-balance when all the usual names have re-benched. The limit will then become the architecture or someone's use/non-use of e-Power etc.

There will always be limits. -40 is a convenient one that allows more people to compete. G92 and -40 can be approached by people with SS or a good (bad) winter.

Edited by K404

For the Coldslow/coldbug?

Sure. It's easy. Accept it and work within it. Enjoy not having to worry about frost. Everyone is on a level playing field because even after all this time, no-one has found a workaround.

Even if you solve it, it will become an arms race at -80 or -120 or -160 and then the leaderboard will re-balance when all the usual names have re-benched. The limit will then become the architecture or someone's use/non-use of e-Power etc.

There will always be limits. -40 is a convenient one that allows more people to compete. G92 and -40 can be approached by people with SS or a good (bad) winter.

ya I hear ya but it's fun to try and push stuff past the limits. Going to try and disable any type of thermal monitoring to see if that helps.

My card does 1100mhz 1.62v -40c and really nice memory 1400 at 2.3v

I was thinking of trying to put every voltage rail on a power board but I would only know how to do memory.

Because when I first did vid mod after -40c it would shutdown and vcore would go down to 0v.

But this time with the epower when the card shutdown, the voltage stayed the same at 1.62v. So I was thinking even if it shutdown, if every rail had it's own power it might work.

But 2.3v seems like a lot to put on a newer single output power board. A lot of the components might not be rated that high.

I would love to grab a epower 1.0 for old cards.

But even if the card stayed on past -40c I would probably run into cold slow, right?