HWBOT Community Forums

ASUS Z170 non-k unlock

elmor

For sure far lower than 8320...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

wow, if blck OC lower then FX83** amd screwed

Techspot has a review up with power draw figures but I can't remember the figures.

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1108/bench/Power.png

Here i3 110W, but make whole system run always at top power draw could be an issue

Now i wondering what's better 4690K+b85=4.4 or 6400+z170=4.4 same money, but now this power draw decision. If only you could turn blck OC down in Windows...

Guys, BIOSes are here!

* Maximus VIII Hero 0001

* Maximus VIII Gene 0001

* Maximus VIII Extreme 0001

* Maximus VIII Impact 0001

* Z170-DELUXE 0050

* Z170-A 0050

* Z170-E 0050

This is not an official ASUS BIOS, only enables base clock overclocking on non-K CPUs.

Don’t use this for K-series CPUs.

It might damage your hardware, no guarantees provided.

Issues found so far

* No IGPU

* No dynamic change of CPU frequency

* No C-states

* No Turbo Mode

* CPU temperature reading is incorrect

* AVX instructions have very low performance

* Windows XP ACPI not supported

After flashing set the following settings to make it boot into OS with correct CPU speed

Advanced\CPU Configuration

- Boot Performance Mode -> Turbo Performance

Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU Power Management Configuration

- Intel® SpeedStep -> Disabled

- CPU C states -> Disabled

wow that was sooo fast, thank you so much for this, a lot of fun ahead.

A word of advice. I pushed 1.85-1.88v through my 6320 on ln2, just like i've been doing on my 6700ks. CPU got heavily degraded after just one hour of benching. Now it performs like 700mhz lower on ln2...

Be careful with volts on these chips!

Delidded?

does anyone experience multipiler change issue? i cannot set anything lower from the turbo multipiler 8, 10, 20 or even 35x not working, still booting with 37x... also did not found the way to lower from OS, turboV does not have an option, in ratio64bit i did not figured out how to get it done

This is called old-school overclocking :)

I guess you can lower it to lowest 8x with slow-mode or with some of the options in bios, but can't adjust freely.

Maybe if you disable "max-turbo multi mode" it will lower multi automatically so bclk x multi roughly matches the stock speed, but that's just a wild guess.

Haven't played much yet, so I can't tell, but I've seen 8x.

High BCLK doesn't seem to be a problem though, so you're mostly limited by cache, since it is always 1:1 with core frequency.

Mem OC gets a little harder too, but I could still run tight timings at 125+ BCLK with 6100.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Asrock has no options for multi at all, so I have no idea then (and multi does not work in OS ofcourse).

Not sure if a stupid idea, but you may try to save a profile with your K cpu, then load it or direct-boot with i3 at same settings.

I'm sure someone will tell how... I will test myself when get back home.

Gene has no exposed slow-mode switch, but you can make one based on the tweaking guide. It has always been like that on Gene, or at least ones I had (last 3 generations).

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Will there be a bios version for the DDR3 Z170 board ???

Not sure yet.

does anyone experience multipiler change issue? i cannot set anything lower from the turbo multipiler 8, 10, 20 or even 35x not working, still booting with 37x... also did not found the way to lower from OS, turboV does not have an option, in ratio64bit i did not figured out how to get it done

You cannot change multiplier after bootup, one of the quirks of this method. You can choose ratio by selecting "Boot Performance Mode"

- Max Battery = lowest possible = 8x

- Max Non-Turbo = CPU specification multiplier, depends on model. On some this will be same as Max Turbo.

- Max Turbo = Highest possible ratio

BTW, also add these boards

* Z170 Pro Gaming 1301

* Maximus VIII Ranger 0001

Edited by elmor
  • Confused 1

Not sure yet.

You cannot change multiplier after bootup, one of the quirks of this method. You can choose ratio by selecting "Boot Performance Mode"

- Max Battery = lowest possible = 8x

- Max Non-Turbo = CPU specification multiplier, depends on model. On some this will be same as Max Turbo.

- Max Turbo = Highest possible ratio

BTW, also add these boards

* Z170 Pro Gaming 1301

* Maximus VIII Ranger

Thanks for the work put into this!

http://valid.x86.fr/3xd1dv

I'm running a 6300 on a MAX8Extreme... if I set boot perf to Max Battery, it is stuck at 8x (trying to get 23x200bclk to work).

So it seems that we cannot lower the multiplier below the cpu-specific base multiplier with the exception of idle-state multi of 8x?

Is there a chance to get working AVX and winXP support in the future?

AVX not likely, Intel needs to fix it or we need to find a whole new way to unlock these chips.

XP support maybe but can't promise anything.

Thanks for the work put into this!

http://valid.x86.fr/3xd1dv

I'm running a 6300 on a MAX8Extreme... if I set boot perf to Max Battery, it is stuck at 8x (trying to get 23x200bclk to work).

So it seems that we cannot lower the multiplier below the cpu-specific base multiplier with the exception of idle-state multi of 8x?

Yes, you're limited to those 2-3 multipliers with these bioses.