HWBOT Community Forums

ASUS Z170 non-k unlock

elmor

23 hours ago, DarthFK said:

Cool! I always did clean installs on my z170 non-k experiments, as well as appropriate drivers. I no longer have any non-k or z170, though, so thanks for sharing with those who might one day dabble in this "antique" department :)

Be well!! (not the most trivial wish these days)

Thank you! It is always nice to be able to fiddle with stuff like this. I wish you are well too!

• 3 months later...

Hello! 

I have just successfully flashed the 9006 bios onto my z170i Pro Gaming with I7 6700. At first I thought it didn't work then discovered it posts fine and boots to windows if I remove one stick of ram. Has anyone had success running 32gb ram or is this likely a limitation of the older bios? 

15 minutes ago, Lachymx said:

Hello! 

I have just successfully flashed the 9006 bios onto my z170i Pro Gaming with I7 6700. At first I thought it didn't work then discovered it posts fine and boots to windows if I remove one stick of ram. Has anyone had success running 32gb ram or is this likely a limitation of the older bios? 

Hi, I haven't tried 32gigs and already sold that system long ago, but these bios-es and BCLK overclock limits the speed of ram. If you have 4 sticks, it might be that lowering the ram speed can allow you to boot maybe. I am not sure, but perhaps one more regular remedy might work - just like when you have issues with the regular bios with 2x8Gb and you take out one of the sticks and if it powers on, then power it down and add the 2nd stick - the same here, you could try adding it later? (or you did and it still doesn't work?)

7 hours ago, Lachymx said:

Yeah I tried putting the 2nd stick back in after booting successfully. It won't even post with it in. Only two slots on my board so 2x 16gb sticks. 

Are you at stock RAM speeds?

And have you tried bumping the voltages? I had to do that a few times on these boards even for the non-k overclock. Had to do the regular "almost OC" approach to the voltages, including upping vccio and vccsa and DRAM voltage, even if at low or stock RAM speeds.

Edited by DarthFK

30 minutes ago, Skreaz said:

Hi,

I have buy a Z170 PROGAMING AURA, but i dont know if i can use the Z170 Progaming unlock bios, for my motherboard or not.

Thanks

2021-05-23 00_01_03-ASUS Z170 non-k unlock - Page 6 - Elmor's Lab - HWBOT Community Forums.png

I had one Pro Gaming Aura & if I recall correctly, the bios was slightly different that non-Aura. So, the flashing didn't work. But that's my memory, which is not 100% reliable (and alsi can't be flashed:)

Edited by DarthFK

14 hours ago, DarthFK said:

I had one Pro Gaming Aura & if I recall correctly, the bios was slightly different that non-Aura. So, the flashing didn't work. But that's my memory, which is not 100% reliable (and alsi can't be flashed:)

Thanks, so i go buy a 6700K so. ^^

• 1 month later...