HWBOT Community Forums

[MSI Z170 OC BIOS for non-K CPU]

MSI now supports overclocking non-K Skylake CPUs on a wide choice of Z170 motherboards. If you are looking for the right BIOS version to fiddle around a bit yourself, look no further :)

MSI-Z170-non-K-OC-BIOS_updated_15_01_2016.PNG?raw=1

You can find all the BIOSses using this link: https://mega.nz/file/woFVVKjL#ut8PQY8BK1wRZkXMzFQNIL5s14oikaIBLb1Ga5fZD90

Like many of you probably would have guessed and find unneeded to mention, a little disclaimer on this matter:

*Overclocking Intel non-K CPUs is not officially supported by Intel and the BIOS versions created by MSI unlocking this option are all beta versions. Intel may choose to disable this option at any time. At no point MSI can be taken responsible for disabling overclocking for non-K CPUs.

Happy benching! :D

*Log:

- Updated on 15/01/2016 fixed BIOS versions for KRAIT and TOMAHAWK models, added new Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON, Z170A KRAIT GAMING R6 SIEGE and Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X models

- Updated on 21/12/2015 to include working versions of Z170A GAMING M7, Z170A GAMING PRO & Z170-A PRO

From yesterday to today, I learned some things about MSI Z170-A PRO

First, clear cmos up! .

After updating the unlocked bios, I changed BCLK, saved and nothing happened

Once you clear up CMOS, the multiplier went to work.

Some combinations of settings can break the overclocking and BIOS reset.

If this happens, clear up CMOS.

Second, Set the Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

Reboot and instability.

I put off.

Third, Change the CPU Ratio to 37, Change the Ring ratio to 37

These two related options, cause a strange effect, in which you view the change in bclk, but it set the clock in 3.7

keep in auto, real change clock.

Four Set the CPU Core Voltage to 1325

this voltage suits well to overclocking Skylake the problem and that some mortherboards station not showing the voltage correctly.

IN my case I put 1,325 self in CPUZ and bios showed 1,432. So I put vcore m 1,240 Override + Fixed 0005, now appeared properly 1336.

if some friends have a problem with high vcore, try switching to low

I've been testing several numbers for bclk, memory and vcore. But my Prime95 blend test with 4.5GHz and ram 3091 freeze the PC, I have good memories corsair LPX 3200, does not seem to be the issue.

I'm currently using the configuration of der8auer and DigitalFoundry, Core i3 4.4GHz BCLK 6100 / 2560mhz, this more balanced.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, I have MSI Z170A Krait so, I formated my flash drive to FAT32(I puted it direcly into MB I/O), downloaded, unzipped copyed the BIOS to my flashdrive. Restarted PC booted to bios. Restarted again to get into Flashmode. It recognized my flashdrive but the bios won’t showup. Is there posibility that this bios is for Z170 Krait (non-A version).

Now later i looked up to file names, there is difference between OCbios: E7984IMS.B5T non-OCbios: E7984IMS.A50(from MSI website). When i renamed the OC bios to the "*.A50" it showed up, but still, it is BIOS for non-A Krait MOBO, which does not have USB 3.1. So my question is: Is it safe to use it on my MSI Z170A Krait?

Thanks

Hello guys, I have MSI Z170A Krait so, I formated my flash drive to FAT32(I puted it direcly into MB I/O), downloaded, unzipped copyed the BIOS to my flashdrive. Restarted PC booted to bios. Restarted again to get into Flashmode. It recognized my flashdrive but the bios won’t showup. Is there posibility that this bios is for Z170 Krait (non-A version).

Now later i looked up to file names, there is difference between OCbios: E7984IMS.B5T non-OCbios: E7984IMS.A50(from MSI website). When i renamed the OC bios to the "*.A50" it showed up, but still, it is BIOS for non-A Krait MOBO, which does not have USB 3.1. So my question is: Is it safe to use it on my MSI Z170A Krait?

Thanks

After checking it seems that there is an error in the BIOS list.

Z170A KRAIT GAMING and Z170A TOMAHAWK can't be flashed with the BIOS that have been posted.

We will update new BIOS asap, thank you for your feedback @MoonShadow_CZ.

Hi all, you can download the new MSI non-K CPU OC BIOS files using this link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=EC95B515D14CF270!550&authkey=!ANATpmkzLArpJqI&ithint=file%2crar

What's new:

- Fixed BIOS versions for KRAIT and TOMAHAWK models

- Added new Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON, Z170A KRAIT GAMING R6 SIEGE and Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X models

MSI-Z170-non-K-OC-BIOS_updated_15_01_2016.PNG?raw=1

Goodluck! ;)

Edited by t!n0

Hi all, I'm new in forum :D.

I have been reading previous messages to try overclock I5-6400 on MSI-Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING, I installed the lastest version E7984IMS.A6T and try to modify stock values.

I've been able to change Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) to Enabled and CPU Base Clock (BCLK) and fail reboot because I have not been able to change Ring Ratio and CPU Ratio over 33 stock.

Has anyone been able to overclock non-k CPU with this motherboard?

Thanks to all.

PD:Sorry for my bad English, I'm Spanish .

Hi all, I'm new in forum :D.

I have been reading previous messages to try overclock I5-6400 on MSI-Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING, I installed the lastest version E7984IMS.A6T and try to modify stock values.

I've been able to change Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) to Enabled and CPU Base Clock (BCLK) and fail reboot because I have not been able to change Ring Ratio and CPU Ratio over 33 stock.

Has anyone been able to overclock non-k CPU with this motherboard?

Thanks to all.

PD:Sorry for my bad English, I'm Spanish .

That is normal, you can't increase or decrease CPU ratio with all Non-K OC BIOS.

The proper way to overclock on these BIOS is to adjust manually BaseClock along with vCore and memory frequency.

My is krait gaming Z170, No A version

USB did not find BIOS

E7984IMS.A6T modified for E7984IMS.B6T, a warning, the upgrade is not BIOS @pepinorang

Message to everyone:

Please don't try to change BIOS names, if M-Flash doesn't recognize BIOS file, then it's not the correct BIOS version for your motherboard, that's it.

There is an error in the BIOS list posted in first page, Z170A KRAIT GAMING use BIOS E7984IMS.A6T while Z170 KRAIT GAMING use E7984IMS.B5T.

I informed @t\!n0, he will correct this asap.

Message to everyone:

Please don't try to change BIOS names, if M-Flash doesn't recognize BIOS file, then it's not the correct BIOS version for your motherboard, that's it.

There is an error in the BIOS list posted in first page, Z170A KRAIT GAMING use BIOS E7984IMS.A6T while Z170 KRAIT GAMING use E7984IMS.B5T.

I informed @t\!n0, he will correct this asap.

The use of E7984IMS.B5T to overclocking, 101 were unable to start