HWBOT Community Forums

[MSI Z170 OC BIOS for non-K CPU]

I tested this one, again without issue... See screenshots I posted.

What's the post codes ?

Anyway, I'm going to re-test all 17 supported boards with retail i3 6320, but I'm convinced I'm just wasting my time...

There is no post codes as it does not even get to that point, it reboots before that. But like I said its not a problem, as it does it in rapid succession for 5-10 times and then boots up fine, maybe an extra 30 seconds for booting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
FIY, Non-K OC will still work in the future on MSI motherboards and there won't be special BIOS needed anymore.

When BIOS will detect Non-K CPU it use old microcode and display an option to enable Non-K OC. :)

Will let you know which BIOS versions exactly asap.

well i was planning to change my bios with custom one. i have a msi z170 gaming m5.

so msi will release official bios to oc non k cpu's?

then ill wait for official bios

FIY, Non-K OC will still work in the future on MSI motherboards and there won't be special BIOS needed anymore.

When BIOS will detect Non-K CPU it use old microcode and display an option to enable Non-K OC. :)

Will let you know which BIOS versions exactly asap.

Hi pepinorang i need your help.. juat want to ask if msi bios support winXP? tried to install with this unlock bios but still got error message..

tried with xp installed image...got blue sreen with ( acpi message )

Here i tested with G4400 @4.8Ghz @Win7.. want to play with xp actually

12513743_10206162979289840_5190804861872822029_o.jpg?_nc_eui=ARg3Z8sj-Ckw4k_38jf5gebI_BGwOow-dSsFL9jwmb-3mEu_At76XA

Hi pepinorang i need your help.. juat want to ask if msi bios support winXP? tried to install with this unlock bios but still got error message..

tried with xp installed image...got blue sreen with ( acpi message )

So far, I don't find MSI Non-K BIOS with XP ACPI Support man. You might want to select MPS Multiprocessor mode during the install :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so will msi release official bios or should i install this?

what makes me concern is my system is like 3 months old. i dont want to break things atm ^^

You can already use latest official MP BIOS.

When used with Non-K CPU it will display an hidden option that when enabled will allow Non-K CPU OC.

Hi all! Pls help me i have problem

2 months ago I successfully overclock my i5 6500 to 4.4 (1.35v) .A today I wanted to optimize the voltage (had blue screens) and lowered voltage. After that my PC is not turned on and the BIOS default settings restored. After this I would like to introduce the best value BCLK (135.00) and voltage (1.25v) And when switching windows 10 that I saw standing on the default BCLK (100.00) Thereafter, I downloaded the new BIOS. Here this here http://overclocking.guide/download/msi-z170-pro/ and the problem persists(((

Sorry for my bad English,i just russian guy))

My speclist

MSI Z170A-PRO

I5 6500

DDR4 CRUCIAL 8 GB 2133Mhz

Hi, I tryed many times, but no changes here.. I change the bclk in the Bios to 110, but when start the windows the bclk is 100...

used Bios 14T and 14u,,,,

Z170A XPOWER TE... :(

Your ME is probably broken, try to flash BIOS with M-FLASH and/or FPT several times until it works.

Edited by pepinorang

Hi all! Pls help me i have problem

2 months ago I successfully overclock my i5 6500 to 4.4 (1.35v) .A today I wanted to optimize the voltage (had blue screens) and lowered voltage. After that my PC is not turned on and the BIOS default settings restored. After this I would like to introduce the best value BCLK (135.00) and voltage (1.25v) And when switching windows 10 that I saw standing on the default BCLK (100.00) Thereafter, I downloaded the new BIOS. Here this here http://overclocking.guide/download/msi-z170-pro/ and the problem persists(((

Sorry for my bad English,i just russian guy))

My speclist

MSI Z170A-PRO

I5 6500

DDR4 CRUCIAL 8 GB 2133Mhz

Usually Clear CMOS after failed OC is needed in order to reset Intel ME.

Either it is your OC that is failing due to too low vCore, or you could also have the same issue than Joe90br and your Intel ME might be broken.

Only advice I can give is to try to increase voltage back to 1.35v or to flash your BIOS several times until it works...

Anyway guys, please do note that Non-K OC is not officialy supported and will never be.

I have personally tried the BIOS listed in this thread and they work without major issues, so I'm not going to spend anymore time on this, you have to figure out yourself.

Edited by pepinorang

Usually Clear CMOS after failed OC is needed in order to reset Intel ME.

Either it is your OC that is failing due to too low vCore, or you could also have the same issue than Joe90br and your Intel ME might be broken.

Only advice I can give is to try to increase voltage back to 1.35v or to flash your BIOS several times until it works...

Anyway guys, please do note that Non-K OC is not officialy supported and will never be.

I have personally tried the BIOS listed in this thread and they work without major issues, so I'm not going to spend anymore time on this, you have to figure out yourself.

Problem solved! In the new update is a new tab where you can select the NOC mode and overclock the processor

Thanks for help!

You can already use latest official MP BIOS.

When used with Non-K CPU it will display an hidden option that when enabled will allow Non-K CPU OC.

So I'm getting the vibe from pepinorang's last post that he's about done with this thread for goodsies, so I guess this is more of a general question for anyone who knows the answer, but does that mean that the MSI official BIOS 1.B (in my case, for the M7 z170, and published on 2016-02-23) actually allows non-k overclocking? I'm not brave enough to check myself, as the changelog simply says

- Updated CPU microcode(0x7C).

and updating microcode (to my ignorant self) feels like it would be A Very Bad Thing if I want to keep OCing my i7-6700

On 03-02-2016 (after 1.B was published), pepinorang mentioned that future bioses will have the "switch to old microcode secretly" option, but that was after 1.B?

edit2: I found E7976IMS.1C1 on another OCing site (but NOT on the MSI website.....), with a publish date of April 6th. Is that the Bios that enables OCing on non-k that pepinorang is referring to?

Edited by Regargle

So I'm getting the vibe from pepinorang's last post that he's about done with this thread for goodsies, so I guess this is more of a general question for anyone who knows the answer, but does that mean that the MSI official BIOS 1.B (in my case, for the M7 z170, and published on 2016-02-23) actually allows non-k overclocking? I'm not brave enough to check myself, as the changelog simply says

- Updated CPU microcode(0x7C).

and updating microcode (to my ignorant self) feels like it would be A Very Bad Thing if I want to keep OCing my i7-6700

On 03-02-2016 (after 1.B was published), pepinorang mentioned that future bioses will have the "switch to old microcode secretly" option, but that was after 1.B?

edit2: I found E7976IMS.1C1 on another OCing site (but NOT on the MSI website.....), with a publish date of April 6th. Is that the Bios that enables OCing on non-k that pepinorang is referring to?

None of the Official BIOS will lock your Non-K CPU, don't worry.

When there is a Non-K CPU installed, BIOS will display an hidden option named "Beta Runner" in which you need to enable the option "NOC".

If this does not happen it means the BIOS is not new enough and doesn't have the feature implemented.

BIOS picture, courtesy of Der8auer's MSI Z170 Non-K OC Guide: MSI_SnapShot_03.png

http://overclocking.guide/updated-msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide-new-bios/

Edited by pepinorang

Thanks for the response; I'm relieved that you're still kicking around this thread. I'm doubly relieved that none of MSI's official BIOSes will gimp my CPU and install prohibitive microcode. I'm just a drop in the consumer bucket, but MSI has got my love for being consumer-friendly and keeping the OC non-k options alive.

Thanks pepinorang!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,,,

I have MSI Z170i Gaming Pro AC+i3 6100+patriot 8gb ddr4 3400.

I flash my board to bios 1.5 (official bios) and update to bios unlock non K version 1.61

and set :

OC explore mode = expert

Beta runner = NOC

BLCK = 108

XMP = Enable (first) ,,, and try Disable (2nd boot)

vcore = 1.145v

ram = 1.35v

more detail on picture .....

MSI_Snap_Shot.png

upload pictures free

i play game etc it's normally

but when i restart my pc the case is :

1. blck is back to 100

2. set to xmp (it is read only 3333 = my default ram is 3400)

3. and try to all setting the bios just same as like i did before ..... it's always back to default blck 100.

what wrong with my pc?

thanks a lot

• 7 months later...
MSI now supports overclocking non-K Skylake CPUs on a wide choice of Z170 motherboards. If you are looking for the right BIOS version to fiddle around a bit yourself, look no further :)

MSI-Z170-non-K-OC-BIOS_updated_15_01_2016.PNG?raw=1

You can find all the BIOSses using this link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=EC95B515D14CF270!550&authkey=!ANATpmkzLArpJqI&ithint=file%2crar

Like many of you probably would have guessed and find unneeded to mention, a little disclaimer on this matter:

*Overclocking Intel non-K CPUs is not officially supported by Intel and the BIOS versions created by MSI unlocking this option are all beta versions. Intel may choose to disable this option at any time. At no point MSI can be taken responsible for disabling overclocking for non-K CPUs.

Happy benching! :D

*Log:

- Updated on 15/01/2016 fixed BIOS versions for KRAIT and TOMAHAWK models, added new Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON, Z170A KRAIT GAMING R6 SIEGE and Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X models

- Updated on 21/12/2015 to include working versions of Z170A GAMING M7, Z170A GAMING PRO & Z170-A PRO

Link for downloading the non k overclock bioses not working, can someone please give me the bios for the MSI Z170 Krait Gaming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, I want to buy MSI 170A TOMAHAWK AC to overclock my i5-6400. I want to ask you is it still possible to do that on old bios ? Ive heard that someone had problem with overclcoking non-K intel cpu, even on older bios, is there anyone who is running or tried non-k oc on that board ? And i would like to ask you, is there bios difference between MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC and Tomahawk ? They are completly the same boards, just AC have added wifi. Thanks.