HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School Season 2 Round 1

max1024

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My EPOX board looks to have died, no idea how, was working, changed GPU, not working. Literally 20 seconds between hitting power switch on to off and won't work no matter what I've tried. Perhaps its just old, and needs a rest, will give it a try later this weekend. Good luck guys!

Typical Epox sudden death syndrome. :P

• Administrators

You fail :(:D

All checked, two results removed due to insufficient verification (please do not hide benchmark settings at 99, this also includes cpu instructions used for benchmark) - good job, for me the result now is final up to possible recheck, but I think I did not overlook invalid results. Overview needs to be recalculated though, but it will not change first places

Good job

I am not too fond of sandbagging, I am not australian :D - sad to see this, but next time it might be better to upload results a bit earlier^^

Its not like I didnt tell him to upload yesterday evening and this morning, guess me didnt think it was a good idea to increase the competition lenght for all of sunday bite myself in the ass...

• Crew
You fail :(:D

All checked, two results removed due to insufficient verification (please do not hide benchmark settings at 99, this also includes cpu instructions used for benchmark) - good job, for me the result now is final up to possible recheck, but I think I did not overlook invalid results. Overview needs to be recalculated though, but it will not change first places

Good job

Please note that you can see all used settings in the result browser which is IMO more important than the settings in the menu as it shows the actual settings of the current run. ;)

• Administrators

Yes, and this makes it double weird why people have enough space on screen and still don´t bother to show it despite the explicit screenshot at rules tab which makes it mandatory. I thought twice about this but then dicided to block these nontheless simply because rules are 100% clear, feel free to protest at head of moderation, but at 01 it is same, even if you show settings completely above the subtest window, it doesn´t match the rules. Sorry, but when I start to make exceptions and decide by "common sense" and thereby have to bend rules that are 100% clear I am not sure I will end up at making clear decisions in the future. It is annoying, I am aware of this, so I don´t make friends with this but it is the job

Too hard to work without a Goldfinger , on a Pluto cpu that you dont have a clue about it's limits.

I only had Sunday morning available (since it was not accepted to have the whole Sunday)

I soldered numerous times those tiny resistors on the athlon pcb.

But i couldnt get the result i opted for.

Very strong PCMark04 score, indeed. Even though I have 2001 on PCMark, I lose in almost every subtest compared to kotori, so in fact my score I got just before the stage ends and could not upload so fast is worth 3rd place.

For first stage I could not solve the low score on Win98 and on Win XP I could not improve much, since the board was not stable at 112 and 115MHz no matter what I did.

The goldfinger device somehow worked and I also tried to force 10.5x multi by desoldering one resistor, but it did not boot. Same thing if set with GFD.

This CPU has no VID3 resistors, so I don't know what else to try. The CPU is definitely capable of higher frequency, but I was limited by the board.

I also got an Epox board yesterday evening, but could not run the 1GHz Thunderbird at higher than 8.5 multi and the board was so unstable even on stock...

Guess I need TurboPLL to achieve more, or maybe some better board, like the Abit.

Good job everyone, kotori-san was unreachable for me.

-------------------------

:D

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

My GFD has 12.5x setting but i also can't boot up 10.5x multi.

About EP-7KXA, I.nfraR.ed-san do you have Argon or Pluto athlon? i found bug report in japnese over clocker home page, roughly matches your symptoms, problem only using with T-bird (Aluminum core, Copper core both).

Other than that, sorry japanese web site.

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/777/777911/index-3.html#eid777918

Translated a part

It is a story that was published at the time EPoX support site has the following of such circumstances. The Athlon there is a large two signal mode. One is a method called Open Drain, the other is a Push-Pull method.

Neither is a method of well-used, but simply put Open Drain is a signal of how to cover the High and Low is one of the FET, a method of allocating another FET in the generation of Push-Pull The High and Low. It is preferred that more of the Push-pull is when considering the speed of the signal, founder of Athlon Slot A (K7 / K75.K76 unknown) had been constructed in the Open-Drain system.

On the other hand, in the case of Thunderbird, but all Socket A is a Push-pull method, Thunderbird for Slot A was possible to Open-Drain output. However, to do this requires a special setting for instructing a "case and the Open-Drain output" to the Thunderbird, which was not only implemented in the AMD-751.

When mounting the Thunderbird to KX133, against the intention of CPU to transmit and receive signals in the Push-pull, would have meant to send a signal in the Open-Drain system, this is the CPU on the grounds driver (transistor part for transmitting and receiving) but there is a risk of damage.

Edited by Kotori

• Crew

Seems like AMD said that the Thunderbird had no support on KX133 boards, despite the fact that those where released later. But AMD chipset had correct support for it. Only exception, was Asus K7V-T where T stands for Thunderbird. Toms Hardware released a guide how to upgrade K7V to a K7V-T here: http://www.tomshardware.de/aufpoliert-vom-asus-k7v-zum-k7v-t-uning,testberichte-209.html (german)

Its too bad some of you missed the deadline, but I would wish you would upload your results anyway. Just to show what this platform is capable of.

@Gumanoid

Since we used the same board (Gigabyte GA-7IXE) , i wanted to ask you a couple of things , in case you happen to know , or you actually faced the same problems.

1)With a hardware modded Pluto @1.85 & 1.90 volt , the board refused to boot.

2)Having a rev 1.1 board , i couldnt upgrade to bios F7 official or FAA beta.

When i flashed to those two bios versions , the board was dead , not booting.

The only operating bios was the F3 (i need to check-out the F4 beta).

3)Hardware modded cpu @1.80 volt.

When reading pll output with a software prog. on my next boot i was having 2.05 volt Vcore !!!

@Gumanoid

Since we used the same board (Gigabyte GA-7IXE) , i wanted to ask you a couple of things , in case you happen to know , or you actually faced the same problems.

1)With a hardware modded Pluto @1.85 & 1.90 volt , the board refused to boot.

2)Having a rev 1.1 board , i couldnt upgrade to bios F7 official or FAA beta.

When i flashed to those two bios versions , the board was dead , not booting.

The only operating bios was the F3 (i need to check-out the F4 beta).

3)Hardware modded cpu @1.80 volt.

When reading pll output with a software prog. on my next boot i was having 2.05 volt Vcore !!!

Yes, my board is rev 1.1 too, my board is no problems with flashing to F7 bios. Where did you get a FAA beta bios?

Unfortunately I have not tried to modify the vcore.

Yes, my board is rev 1.1 too, my board is no problems with flashing to F7 bios. Where did you get a FAA beta bios?

Unfortunately I have not tried to modify the vcore.

Maybe it's my board , that acts strange.

I tried multiple times to flash to a newer bios bersion and everytime i did , the board was not booting afterwards.

I found the latest beta on a webarchive page.

I can give it to you , if you want it.