HWBOT Community Forums

ULTIMATE ASUS MATRIX PLATINUM GTX 980 TI AC/LN2 TIPS

Introduction

After few months from the launch day of reference GTX 980 TI graphic cards Asus refreshed their top high-end line and finally introduced Republic of Gamers (ROG) top model. After very strong gaming - Strix series (as you might remember I had some great fun with 4-Way Asus GTX 980 TI Strix cards breaking few World Records) I was expecting a really mature construction and I have to admit I am not disappointed! :)

Testing platforms:

i7 6700K ES/i7 5960X

Asus Maximus VIII Extreme/Rampage V Extreme

2x4 GB G.skill TridentZ 3733/4x4 GB HyperX 3200C16

HyperX 240 SSD

Kingpin Fat TEK 6.66 & EK-SF3D Critical Point EVO

Couple of Seasonic P1200 Platinum PSUs :)

Gallery:

matrix4.jpg

By now I tested 3 pieces of Matrix Platinum GTX 980 TI. 2x cards are old samples based on Hynix and one is from new batch using Samsung ICS. If your serial number on the card starts with "FA" it means Hynix (produced in October), "FB" (produced in November). In terms of ASIC quality - first Hynix card is 80,1%, second 78,2% and Samsung retail RANDOM card is 79,1%. Seems like Asus picked up really nice batch of GPUs for their top model.

matrix5.jpg

matrix6.jpg

matrix9.jpg

matrix7.jpg

matrix8.jpg

HOTWIRE and MEMORY HEATER pads. We have to short them in order to enable LN2 mode and MEMORY HEATER function.

matrix26.jpg

matrix27.jpg

Stock cooler, backplate + mosfet heatsink.

matrix10.jpg

matrix11.jpg

matrix12.jpg

matrix13.jpg

matrix14.jpg

matrix15.jpg

On this photo we can see VGPU controller, connection points for GPU voltage controller :) It's necessary in order to connect device like elmor's EVC :) Of course we can't forget about special iROG chip which offers many useful features for AIR/WC and LN2 users.

matrix16.jpg

From the left we have MOLEX which powers Memory Heater, ON/OFF switch of Memory Heater and "Safe button" which I will describe later.

matrix17.jpg

HOTWIRE soldering points.

matrix18.jpg

PLL (AUX) voltage section.

matrix19.jpg

IOR mosfets. The most popular on high-end hardware. Same parts we can find on KPE 980 TI or HOF GOC cards :)

matrix20.jpg

matrix21.jpg

matrix22.jpg

matrix24.jpg

Note that Asus only decided to put double 8 pin PCIE power plug :)

matrix25.jpg

matrix1.jpg

This is my retail card from polish distribution - good news for everyone, because of change of NVIDIA policy now retail cards are based on Samsung memories! So far only EVGA KPE cards and KFA2 HOF GOC Edition were retail models based on Samsungs and were more expensive than other Hynix cards, because normally NVIDIA (and AMD too) sells GPUs in bundle with specified memories - so far 980 TI was only paired with Hynix and vendors had to buy separately Samsung memories (and "throw away Hynix ICS which came with GPUs :P ) which was raising a cost of production per ~ 100 USD.

AC/WC tips

Step 1. Short (connect) LN2 mode. This operation will not kill your card and you can use it 24/7. It just unlocks all fancy options in GPUTweakIT. If you don't do it, you will be voltage and Power limited according to NVIDIA specifications. In case you can't or don't want to solder, you can use silver or graphite based glues for PCB traces fix/connection (or car rear window heating traces) - in such case after it dries, just tape it or use hot glue. After the operation change BIOS switch into LN2 position. Note that it voids your warranty and you perform all actions on your own responsibility :)

If you have Hynix card I recommend to flash it with the newest (fixed efficiency) LN2 BIOS.

Updated LN2 BIOSes

m980ti_ln2t3s.rom = Samsung

m980ti_ln2t3h.rom = Hynix

Step 2. Have fun and find your best stable settings. Don't rush, you have as plenty time as you want. Finally you find your golden settings we can prepare "custom BIOS" using GPUTWEAKIT software :) Don't forget about scrolling down the window of GPUTWEAKIT in order to change Power Limit to 200%. Operation is as easy as it can be:

1. Set your desired clocks, voltages, power limit options. Note that with LN2 mode enabled you will have always 100% loadline calibration and voltage is really steady.

2. After you apply your settings - burn icon will appear in left area of GPUTWEAKIT software. Click it.

3. GPUTWEAKIT will open new windows with settings to flash, you can check if all is fine and click burn button. After few seconds click okay after you see "Success" pop up window and let GPUTWEAKIT restart your computer. From now on you have your custom BIOS, you don't need any GPU OC program in idle or autostart, you can even uninstall them all if you they are delaying From now on you don't have to worry about programs not applying clocks on the start, or crashing rig etcetera.

screen002.jpg

screen004.jpg

screen007.jpg

screen008.jpg

screen009.jpg

Stock card:

screen000.jpg

24/7 OC settings with Stock cooler:

screen006.jpg

3DMarks were passing with 1550/2200 core easy, but the Witcher is a bit more demanding than Firestrike Extreme ;) Important fact: when you push high memories, you will need to add more voltage to GPU (provide extra juice to IMC inside GPU) or lower GPU clocks. With good water cooling loop and extra voltage I am pretty sure 1600 MHz GPU should be easy for gaming :)

In fact you are not creating your own BIOS - all settings are stored and applied after power on by iROG chip on the card, but it works just as custom BIOS and is definately safer. Note that by reflashing BIOS (even with different version) your settings will not be deleted. In order to reflash to stock go to next chapter of my guide :)

If something goes wrong...

Don't worry, Asus created safe button function for crisis. Note that on the card you have 4 BIOSes. 2x BIOS chips which you can select by BIOS switch (Stock/Standard and LN2) and 2x backup BIOSes which you can't flash by your own - those are backups.

So if something goes wrong:

Step 1. BEFORE power on motherboard, press Safe button and keep it, meanwhile power on motherboard. When Safe Button is activated - the green led will be on.

Step 2. Go into OS and start GPUTWEAKIT software. Instead of normal window, when Safe Button is on, GPUTWEAKIT will start recovery mode. Just press okay, wait 1 minute (it takes much longer than "burning" settings, cause in recovery mode, GPUTWEAKIT clears iROG chip from settings and additionally refresh BIOS to stock version from backup chip. Let it restart your computer and your card is fully default :)

IMG_6406.JPG

recovery.jpg

recovery2.jpg

LN2 TIPS

Hardmods - HOTWIRE, Memory Heater, Power limit & Thermal throttling

ln2.jpg

powerlimit.jpg

powerlimit2.jpg

resistor.jpg

EXTRA HARDMODS - NOT NECESSARY

1. CBB - TBA

2. HOTWIRE - TBA

How to clock a card on LN2

1. DON'T USE VASELINE ON THE CARD, instead it's better to plastic spray/dip or put eraser. 2 out of 3 cards had strange issues when where isolated with vaseline. One card had problems with booting - shutting down after boot. Second card from the moment I put vaseline on it had PLL voltage issues - dropping down after boot or floating 0.2V-0.4V-0.1V-0.7V-1.05V-0.2V and so on. Stock is around 1.06V. After proper cleaning with aceton, nitro detergents both cards came back to life and work perfectly on stock or LN2 with eraser on them. Seems like some controllers are sensitive and vaseline shorts something.

2. Start the card with Memory Heater on from the very beginning. You can keep it ON all the time, cause it starts to work when memories reach below 10*C or shutdowns when are warmer.

3. Use GPUTWEAKIT BURN option for memory voltage (like in AC/WC part) to put higher memory voltage from the start. If you don't do it - don't expect high memory clocks on cold with high core. For Hynix best value is +200-300 MV (1.8-1.9V in GPUTWEAKIT). For Samsung I would start +350MV or higher, depending from your sample. My card for 2200 MHz memory with high GPU (over 2000 MHz) needs +500MV (2.1V). It's very important cause when your card is cold (-80*C or more), you will not be able to set any memory voltage, cause you will have artefacts in OS. You have to use or GPUTWEAKIT burn option or trimpots. After you burn custom - higher VMEM, you will be able to add extra juice in OS in limited range - for instance when I burn on my Samsung +350MV I am able to set +500MV but +550MV will lock my OS. Burning +550MV works.

4. You can use trimpots, ROG Panel, HOTWIRE or the newest GPUTWEAKIT to control all voltages. Software works perfectly. Don't forget about using NVPMANAGEMENT program or "3D Always" mode in GPUTWEAKIT.

5. When you cool down the card and perform first runs, I recommend to set +50-100MV PLL voltage. It helps to keep stability of IMC.

6. Sweet spot for VGPU for now is +500MV (1.71V load). More triggers OCP, but I hope soon it will be fixed :)

7. Each of my cards has ColdBootBug (CBB) around -120*C. If your card has really big CBB problem, you can perform extra CBB mod, which will raise the limit for about 20-25*C.

Hynix vs Samsung

Samsung card seems to be a bit better, especially in terms of memory clocking on LN2. Though current BIOSes have exactly same efficiency. I did tests on LN2:

Hynix:

Hynix.jpg

Samsung:

Samsung.jpg

Results:

I tested both Hynix and Samsung card on LN2. Hynix seems to drop easier memory clocks with high core (running 2100 MHz GPU with 2000/2050 MHz memory wasn't a big issue for Hynix card). Samsung card is capable of running around 2100 MHz GPU with high memories 2150-2200 MHz. I was crashing after few seconds 2120//2200 on my retail Samsung card because of too low VGPU. Best GTX 980 TI scale with 1.75-1.85V load. I hope soon the issue will be fixed. Also there might appear a newer Samsung BIOS with even better efficiency (though current is good). Next time I will put my Samsung card with LN2ed 5960X to go full out :) I don't have all screenshots now cause I was busy with testing mods, BIOSes and fixes but I upload those which I saved:

matrix2.jpg

matrix3.jpg

Hynix card 2055/2100 MHz FSE:

hynix.png

Samsung card 2070/2200 FSE:

samsung.jpg

Second Hynix card did around 2030/2150 FSE.

Conclusion:

ROG Matrix Platinum is a strong player in GTX 980 TI category. I got 3 cards, and each of them goes easily over 2000 MHz GPU, 2x cards are hitting 2100 MHz GPU which is a really high result. I think my Samsung card has potencial of hitting 2150-2200 GPU range with a bit higher VGPU (waiting for OCP fix). Definately, it's a big upgrade comparing to Strix card (which was also great) and now Matrix can be matched with EVGA KPE and Galax HOF GOC card. Moreover, iROG chip provides unique features which are useful for daily users and also LN2 power users and OCing software is stable and mature. I hope that after this guide more ocers will start to push their Matrix cards to the limits :)

I would like to thank Asus for supporting OC community and Asus R&D department for the help with pushing card to the limits.

Edited by Xtreme Addict

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx guys :) Soon update with more info

What ASIC?

73.8%, around 1520|2150-2200 is fairly easy on air, depends on benchmark though.

I will be testing on DICE soon, will see where I get with that.

Haven't tried your BIOS from original post yet, I will try and see if it helps any.

Edited by Lays

Lower ASIC cards tend to have a bit higher stock VID. Also did you try to use 100% loadline calibration?

Yeah my settings are:

1407 core (1520 actual)

1.213v in GPUTweak

8600 mem

1.63v mem in GPUtweak

fan speed 100%

pex_vdd 1.06v

power target 200%

loadline calibration 100%

vrm clock 1000 KHz

It passes firestrike no problem with your BIOS, before I could only do like 1513 mhz on core, it would fail 1520.

On stock BIOS without Ln2 switch enable, it was 1.231-1.233v stock under load voltage on GPU, on Ln2 bios + Ln2 switch enable, under load 1.241v-1.242v under load on GPU.

Ahh it's actually helping, maybe I did something different than before, but with Ln2 BIOS card seems to scale a tiny bit more. I will try and put my universal waterblock on maybe tomorrow or Friday, and see what it does on water.

1526|2200 this time, no problem. Mem may not need that many volts, just did a quick test.

mu652.jpg

Edited by Lays

Good :) Yeah for me LN2 BIOS on air is the best one in terms of clocks/efficiency. But TBH I don't know how you have that high VGPU. All my cards have around 1.20V load. Maybe your voltmeter has some issue or it's ASIC - VID related. BTW, you are running PCIE X8 instead of X16 :)

Idk I tried two different volt meter, same reading from both.

Yeah the card is in 8x because my 480 with my universal block is in the 16x slot right now. I'd move the 480 but i cant plug it in anywhere else because the tubes aren't long enough lol.

I have a tek 9 fat that should be arriving Monday or so next week, I will try to test it on DICE as soon as I can!

Thanks for help XA, just watercooled the card and it's doing pretty good. Can't wait to test on DICE. Guide & BIOS helped a lot, appreciate it a lot.

Here is what I just did on my crappy 24/7 OS

mvo8I.jpg

Edited by Lays