HWBOT Community Forums

ULTIMATE ASUS MATRIX PLATINUM GTX 980 TI AC/LN2 TIPS

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've found original ln2 bios and Gpu tweakII to provide most consistent results. Dickering around with settings and reboots for an hour or two before getting a half-decent result is not my idea of fun times benching.

The only issue i have with the 980 ti matrix original LN2 mode is the efficiency is not there due to massive throttling when pushing voltage. No throttle however when voltage are at stock. Maybe it has to do with Hynix memory I'm not sure

Edited by marc0053

Mine starts scaling past 1.35v and up. Stocks volts in water limits the card to 1600mhz and from 1.35v to 1.55v goes from 1600 to 1700mhz on mine. Asic 85%

This is with Elmor's new LN2 bios. It works well in all benches except GPUPi and ASUS realbench as it downclocks to 405mhz. That's why i was trying the stock bios under LN2 bios switch to see if it it would fix it.

The issue with the stock bios for me under LN2 bios tab is that stock viltage runs fine up to 1600mhz but then to get my scaling up to 1700mhz i need to increase the volts past 1.35v but it throttles significantly. The higher the volts the lower the clocks due to throttle.

Edited by marc0053

The throttle happens even with a mediocre load using the GPU stress test in gpu-z for the stock bios. If a fix for the Elmor's bios can be found to remove the 405mhz downclock in gpupi and asus realbench then it' the perfect bios for my situation as it doesnt downclock regardless of frequency and voltage in all other benches.

Edited by marc0053

ya that's what I did but I wiped off the tops just to make sure they dont overheat at the beginning, they look like the memory vrm which can get pretty hot

Everything went well, can't believe I hit 1800 on DICE, i wasn't expecting much past 1700..

http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338_

1619657.jpg

Card worked amazingly the entire time, I only blue screened once, and only had one driver crash.

BSOD was from CPU pot heating up to much, wasn't paying attention. Lol

Probably a 2K card on LN2 :celebration:

Now if only I had ln2 :P

I was actually really surprised how easy it was to clock, I started at like 1.33v 1650, then bumped it up slightly for 1700 and it passed first try. Repeated the process a few times and only one crash during that whole session. Then it got really difficult to keep the pot fed with DICE past 1750 mhz and 1.5v. The very first try at 1800 it worked, didn't push anymore after because I barely had any DICE left.

P2 state (CUDA/OpenCL) downclocking is solved with t4 BIOSes below:

* Matrix 980 Ti (Hynix memory) m980ti_ln2t4h.rom

* Matrix 980 Ti, Strix 980Ti V2 with Digi+ VRM (Samsung memory) m980ti_ln2t4s.rom

* Strix 980Ti V1 with SHE VRM (Hynix memory) s980ti1_ln2t4h.rom

I've only tested the Matrix 980 Ti (Hynix memory) BIOS but the others should work as well. Please test and let me know. * Strix 980 Ti V1 tested and works *

Memory overclocking is not working and doesn't seem fixable by BIOS. It also doesn't seem to affect the score a lot at least in GPUPI. However I found a workaround using Thermspy and its "Test CLK" feature. Any change to the P-states will remove your setting so I used GPUTweakII to force Always 3D Clock. Then you have to apply the memory clock in Thermspy while in boost state. In GPUPI you can achieve this by pressing Calculate, apply settings + OK. Before starting the benchmark while at the Start dialog box the card enters P2 boost state. During this time you can apply the memory clock using Thermspy and it will stick until the benchmark is finished. Values above 4096 gives an error but still applies.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4143&stc=1&d=1460449257

Edited by elmor

* Matrix 980 Ti, Strix 980Ti V2 with Digi+ VRM (Samsung memory) m980ti_ln2t4s.rom

* Strix 980Ti with SHE VRM (Hynix memory) s980ti1_ln2t4h.rom

I've only tested the Matrix 980 Ti (Hynix memory) BIOS but the others should work as well. Please test and let me know.

Memory overclocking is not working and doesn't seem fixable by BIOS. It also doesn't seem to affect the score a lot at least in GPUPI. However I found a workaround using Thermspy and its "Test CLK" feature. Any change to the P-states will remove your setting so I used GPUTweakII to force Always 3D Clock. Then you have to apply the memory clock in Thermspy while in boost state. In GPUPI you can achieve this by pressing Calculate, apply settings + OK. Before starting the benchmark while at the Start dialog box the card enters P2 boost state. During this time you can apply the memory clock using Thermspy and it will stick until the benchmark is finished. Values above 4096 gives an error but still applies.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for fixing this, I've been wanting to do GPUPI & folding at home, but I couldn't on the revision 3 BIOS.

Could the memory clock also be edited via NVInspector? I know you can change P-state clocks there, maybe that will be another solution?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for fixing this, I've been wanting to do GPUPI & folding at home, but I couldn't on the revision 3 BIOS.

Could the memory clock also be edited via NVInspector? I know you can change P-state clocks there, maybe that will be another solution?

You're welcome. I tried Inspector but didn't work for me.

* Strix 980Ti V1 with SHE VRM (Hynix memory) s980ti1_ln2t4h.rom

I've only tested the Matrix 980 Ti (Hynix memory) BIOS but the others should work as well. Please test and let me know. * Strix 980 Ti V1 tested and works *

Thanks Elmor,

Any chance you could link ThermSpy v3.0.1 premium?