HWBOT Community Forums

ULTIMATE ASUS MATRIX PLATINUM GTX 980 TI AC/LN2 TIPS

The new bios for Strix V1 with hynix works great under WC:

qqf4i3.jpg

have you pushed your card hard yet. I was benching v2 last night with newest matrix bios and I'm hitting ocp it seems like at only like 1.5v. The card seems amazing because with Catzilla it's less power draw then firestrike so I can do a bit higher voltage and get thru the first test at close to 2000mhz 1.6v but it spikes eventually and I get a black screen and its like only the gpu shuts down, I cant restart I have to shutdown and then boot up again.

I tried to confirm it by just setting voltage and leaving all clocks at default and it still black screened, so it's obviously not unstable settings

Does this sound like ocp. This is my last day to exchange the card and it looks really nice but if I cant use above 1.5v it's kinda useless for me. I thought I was doing something wrong like vrm's overheating. Went thru 30 liters the past 2 night without a single score.

Edited by Strong Island

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That card is an old one, its V1 card with new bios for V1, i used under COLD but few months ago, and yes i have lot of issue with OCP, i can't push the volt over 1.5x or 1.6. don't remove exactly what V cause was like 6 months ago. About V2 revision, i has one but died.

Hope u can fix your issue.

BR

Nacho

That card is an old one, its V1 card with new bios for V1, i used under COLD but few months ago, and yes i have lot of issue with OCP, i can't push the volt over 1.5x or 1.6. don't remove exactly what V cause was like 6 months ago. About V2 revision, i has one but died.

Hope u can fix your issue.

BR

Nacho

ya a lot of trouble with ocp also. Core and mem is amazing but firestrike cant do more then like 1.5v and catzilla I can do a bit more because less power draw but it usually spikes at one point and crash, black screen. man so frustrated, I think it's such a good gpu but Microcenter closes in 2hrs and today is last day to switch, but it's a little useless for me when firestrike cant do 1.5v. I guess I should try and switch for open box matrix.

Thanks for the reply, so disapointing. I'm trying to read the datasheet but a ocp mod is still above my head, arghh

I have the same issue guys about tripping ocp past 1.5v on cold water with my matrix/Hynix at 1700mhz ish. I often get a blank screen when benching and the only way to get it back it to do a PC shutdown and restart. It seems even if I get the blank screen that the PC still runs and cpu/gpu continues to finish the bench but simply no display.

I did try a 980 Ti Gold with Samsung memory and It had no blank screens nor downclocking to 400mhz so maybe the ocp limit was removed on those cards? I was pushing past 1.6v on cold water no problem and loaded temps was around +25C.

I have the same issue guys about tripping ocp past 1.5v on cold water with my matrix/Hynix at 1700mhz ish. I often get a blank screen when benching and the only way to get it back it to do a PC shutdown and restart. It seems even if I get the blank screen that the PC still runs and cpu/gpu continues to finish the bench but simply no display.

I did try a 980 Ti Gold with Samsung memory and It had no blank screens nor downclocking to 400mhz so maybe the ocp limit was removed on those cards? I was pushing past 1.6v on cold water no problem and loaded temps was around +25C.

ya for me strix v2 its right about what you said. In firestrike if I set 1.5v and 1700mhz, the bench will start but as soon as it loads it goes black and mobo and cpu still running. I can do 1800 no problem at 1.45v but anything set higher in the tool I get black screen.

It's such a shame because I was even running parts of Catzilla at 2000mhz 1.6v, -130c but as soon as it gets to a high load part of bench it crashes.

I am a little glad it's the card because I couldnt figure out what was happening. Even if the answer is bad, it's better then not knowing.

Matrix should not have this problem, especially at something low as 1.5V and 1700MHz. It does sound high for water however, how are your temperatures? Can you check the voltages of the card when this happens? VGPU should drop to ~0.4V if this is the case. It could also be GPU temp or VRM temp that goes too high and triggers a thermal shutdown.

ya for me strix v2 its right about what you said. In firestrike if I set 1.5v and 1700mhz, the bench will start but as soon as it loads it goes black and mobo and cpu still running. I can do 1800 no problem at 1.45v but anything set higher in the tool I get black screen.

It's such a shame because I was even running parts of Catzilla at 2000mhz 1.6v, -130c but as soon as it gets to a high load part of bench it crashes.

I am a little glad it's the card because I couldnt figure out what was happening. Even if the answer is bad, it's better then not knowing.

Your problem sounds like OCP yes, if you check the voltages of your card it would help. One Strix v2 died after I sent a full unlock solution so unfortunately I think it's not worth pursuing. For extreme benching the Matrix is what you want. (preferably with Samsung memory, I know it sucks there's no way to know until after buying)

Could you not just short the power sensing shunts to get a higher power limit?

No, this is different. The thermal limit is only read by the GPU for throttling reasons. In this case it's the VRM controller detecting too high output current and shuts down. It doesn't rely on the power limit resistors.

• 2 weeks later...
Elmor, excuse me, i realize all the mod and i'm using the she right bios but i have a problem with llc. The vdropp is aroun -6v and my gpu always crash. Any solution?

Thank you bro!

Sorry, could you clearify? Vdroop of -6V sounds a bit extreme haha. During which benchmark? What clocks/voltages are set? From where do you measure the voltage? What do you use as ground reference?

Sorry, could you clearify? Vdroop of -6V sounds a bit extreme haha. During which benchmark? What clocks/voltages are set? From where do you measure the voltage? What do you use as ground reference?

Elmor, i send you PM. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Problems with GPU Tweak when I install all I get is sliders no writing before them at all, I have tried different drivers and some different tweak versions, I even tried a different OS install.

Any idea's?

You're on win7 right? If I remember correctly you just shut it down and restart it. This issue is only for win7, not win8 or 10.

You're on win7 right? If I remember correctly you just shut it down and restart it. This issue is only for win7, not win8 or 10.

Not explained it too well, the sliders work and do adjust but there are so many not having any names on any of them is daunting, you can put so much voltage through if you get the wrong slider maybe BOOM.

• 2 weeks later...

Had problems with this as the info was for a friend I thought he was on Windows 10 but he's gone back to 7, didn't have his PC in front of me so was a bit confused I used Asustweak on one of my cards a 970 it worked fine so I didn't get it.

But you were right, he's just let me know. :-)