HWBOT Community Forums

ES Hardware and its place

nickolp1974

• Crew

I've had a similar discussion a few years back with an extreme member claiming he was way better than many Elite members. This cos he nailed their scores with his cherry 4670K setup... his CPU was just running 150-200MHz faster than all the rest, not hard to achieve than is it :P

Most important is too have fun, being it cheap or you being ready to sell wife kids and ya house for the thrill!!

I can see your point nick but I like yourself compete in extreme league. That's where our competition is, not elite or pro etc etc and the distinction between the leagues is clear. Getting points from the same pool is irrespective. Aim for no.1 extreme then keep going.

The only effect I see of es stuff is sometimes on rare occasion giving elite/pro higher chance of WR's than the rest of us. But that's the leagues WR's are made in. If wanting to compete at that level then surely should be no.1 extreme for a start and looking into proper sponsorship....

The i3:s actually makes this a bit of an issue for me. Some of the big companies obviously have access to several from a very good batch of ES i3. They hand them out to some overclockers who take most of the high global points. The rest of the high points are taken by other ES cpus. The problem I have with this is the scaling of the globals, below the top 3-5 the scaling is virtually none. So for the extreme guys we must spend a lot of money for binning a top 5 i3, which scores 5 points more than an pretty average top 10 cpu. And 10 points over a cpu that is actually pretty bad (top 20).

This takes some of the fun and the competition out of XOC. I have a couple of i3 for binning, but now there is actually no point because I don't need another couple of 30-35 pointers...and the chance of hitting higher is virutally none. And I know that any day there might come more ES cpus to push my scores down even further.

Another thing about ES cpus is that I know for a fact that some of them travels around a bit. Don't know how common that is but some rankings may have the same cpu twice in the top positions. That is not impossible for retail cpus either, however I think it is more questionable when it comes to ES as they are not paid for by the OC.

Still, considering all the above, I'm not really against ES cpus. They are physically the same I guess, just cheaper for the big companies to bin. As for the points, I have hopes that the coming proposition for adjustments to global points will have an adjusted slope for points distribution that makes it worth competing for a top 5-10 score.